AMD Fx(tm)-8350 Eight-Core
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW+ GAMING ACX 2.0+
Patriot Viper Xtreme (2x8gb)
Kingwin 750watt psu
Samsung 850 evo 250gb
HGST 6tb x2
Hitachi 2tb
Wd 1 tb

My pc has been a very reliable until about 1 year ago when I decided to reinstall my os via windows 10 built recovery system. Since then I've experienced a very particular type of partial freeze. This freeze will occur if I'm playing something intensive or if the pc is just idling with nothing open.
When in-game there is no sign that anything is amiss, Youtube will still be playing in the background and changing songs normally, if I try to Alt-Tab it will freeze on on the tabbing screen, Game and youtube still running. Mouse doesn't move and Ctrl-Shift-Esc doesn't work. Ctrl-Alt-Del However works and from there I can open task manager. From task manager I can switch back to the game process or if the game is still in fullscreen I can click on it and continue playing. If i click anything that's not Task manager or the game it returns to being frozen.

When it freezes on idle I'll come back to it being frozen, sometimes the mouse can move and sometimes it won't, If mouse doesn't move keyboard is unresponsive except for Ctrl-Alt-Del. If the mouse moves click and right click are unresponsive, If I hit window key the start menu will open and mouse will stop moving. If I'm okay with not being able to do anything but play the game I have open It'll work fine all day even after a freeze. Generally I Ctrl-Alt-Del sign out and sign back in to regain full usability.
I have a plex server running on this machine and it will continue to stream when pc is apparently frozen. It has never frozen on me while just browsing or watching stuff. I'd really love to hear that this is a small software issue and not something I have to reinstall my os for. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cioby

Distinguished
Easiest thing or possibility is that you may just need to reinstall your OS. Idk if your plex server is impacting so hard that it makes your PC freeze. Try stopping the server and see if it freezes. Otherwise seems more likely to be a OS issue and not hardware. Unless your PC gets super hot and you hear the fans turn on loud when the freeze happens.

Feb 19, 2019
Thanks for the response, I'll try disabling plex for a few days to see what happens. Unfortunately it doesn't freeze reliably. At one point I thought I'd fixed it when I removed my sound card from the machine and it didn't freeze for a week. I plan on building a new pc this year so if I can hold off reinstalling until then I will.