Build Advice Parts compatibility and known issues ?

Dec 1, 2023
✅Mod: Thread moved to "Systems"as more appropriate

I am putting together a parts list for a build I would like to do. I am looking for opinions on parts that I have chosen, specifically if anyone has used something on this list that has malfunctioned or that they would recommend steering away from. I just want to make sure I'm not choosing parts that are known to be problematic and that they will all be compatible together, in case I missed something. Please, check it out and let me know what you think.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 4.2 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Elite 360 RGB 78.02 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: *ASRock X670E Steel Legend ATX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: *G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory
Storage: (2) Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card
Case: *NZXT H9 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home Retail - Download 64-bit
Case Fan: NZXT F120 RGB DUO 48.58 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V4 Pro RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard

I am putting together a parts list for a build I would like to do. I am looking for opinions on parts that I have chosen, specifically if anyone has used something on this list that has malfunctioned or that they would recommend steering away from. I just want to make sure I'm not choosing parts that are known to be problematic and that they will all be compatible together, in case I missed something. Please, check it out and let me know what you think.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 4.2 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Elite 360 RGB 78.02 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: *ASRock X670E Steel Legend ATX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: *G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory
Storage: (2) Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card
Case: *NZXT H9 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home Retail - Download 64-bit
Case Fan: NZXT F120 RGB DUO 48.58 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V4 Pro RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Hey there,

I would say that's a pretty solid build all round. Quality components. Nice.

What res do you intend to game at? Is the build only for gaming? You could use a 7800x3d which is equal or surpasses the 7950x for gaming. It might save a couple of quid.

Dec 1, 2023
Hey there,

I would say that's a pretty solid build all round. Quality components. Nice.

What res do you intend to game at? Is the build only for gaming? You could use a 7800x3d which is equal or surpasses the 7950x for gaming. It might save a couple of quid.
This rig will be mostly for gaming but also occasionally will be used for music production, photo editing and *rarely* for video editing.

I'm upgrading from a pre-built 2018 GeForce 2080 RTX. in 2020 I replaced the MOBO and upgraded from an Intel CPU to an AMD Ryzen 7 5800x. I have never built my own computer so I'm sort of venturing into unknown waters but I think it will be a fun project.

I am hoping to play in 1440p somewhere close to 120fps, but I haven't put too much thought into it.

I haven't upgraded my monitors in a long time, I have a really outdated BenQ as my secondary that I probably should update and then turn my main MSI 1440p 144hz into my secondary. The monitor market is a bit overwhelming to delve into as it seems there are so many options that would be viable. do you have any suggestions?
thanks for taking the time to reply.

Considering your needs, I'd say a 7800X3D would be more suited. Still offers 8c/16t of processing. It's a very good CPU.

With those specs (and I'm suggesting the 7800X3d) you will have really good 1440p gaming. Pretty much maxing most games at that res.

In terms of monitors, there are so many good 1440p panels now. Check this out : https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/1440p-gaming-monitors

All of these monitors are really good. I'd stick with 27inch though, as larger screens lose out on pixel density. 27inch is best there.

This is the one I'm using: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/G274QPF-QD

It's savage. I prefer IPS to VA panel types.

Reactions: Lucky_SLS
Dec 1, 2023
Considering your needs, I'd say a 7800X3D would be more suited. Still offers 8c/16t of processing. It's a very good CPU.

With those specs (and I'm suggesting the 7800X3d) you will have really good 1440p gaming. Pretty much maxing most games at that res.

In terms of monitors, there are so many good 1440p panels now. Check this out : https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/1440p-gaming-monitors

All of these monitors are really good. I'd stick with 27inch though, as larger screens lose out on pixel density. 27inch is best there.

This is the one I'm using: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/G274QPF-QD

It's savage. I prefer IPS to VA panel types.
Ok I am going to research that one now. Will the motherboard that I chose still remain a good match for the new CPU? I assume as it is another AMD that it has the same socket type.

Dec 1, 2023
You might be fine with a B650 board. You would need the X670E only if you need the extra M.2 and sata ports or additional pcie lanes for soundcards/networking.

look for B650 boards with pcie 5.0 ssd support.

the Gigabyte Aorus elite B650 or the MSI Edge wifi B650 or Asrock Riptide B650E are good choices.
oh, I already pulled the trigger on the MOBO as it was on special last week for cyber Monday deals. thank you for taking the time to let me know. I've got all the parts coming now and will be building it this coming weekend.

Dec 1, 2023
hello gentlemen, mission accomplished. ended up doing a small hardware adjustment, my original board got lost in the mail, so I ended up getting an ASUS Prime X670E-Pro WiFi motherboard. everything was pretty smooth sailing! happy with how it turned out. need to figure out some better cable management in the case and waiting on longer DisplayPort cables and a longer IEC to Edison cable then I will tackle all the cable management going to the case and under my desk.
couple pics of the build plus a benchmark

Dec 1, 2023
Very nice indeed. Love it. Now tell me this and tell me no more!? Where is the PSU!!!? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Is it hidden away somewhere.

Ah, fair play. Yes, that would be a damn fast machine. I'm grinning thinking about if it were me sitting in front of it :grinning:

Good luck and happy gaming.
it's stashed in the back! this case is MASSIVE!!

Dec 1, 2023
Excellent good choice. I may look at that one myself down the line.
it's a seriously spacious case. the case comes with 4 fans (3 vertically side mounted fans and one rear fan plus an RGB controller) plus this case has the option for a vertically mounted GPU which I think I am going to get so the GPU is more supported. all in all it isn't an overly expensive case either.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead