Build Advice Parts Compatibility Check and any recommendations ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 15, 2022
Hello,

I was just wondering if all of these components are compatible with one another and if anyone has any recommendations ?

Thank you

image.png

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
DDR5 6400 is at least 2x the price of DDR4 3600 in most cases 2.5x the price, in terms of return on value it's awful.

y0l1G4N.jpg
According to the graph you posted there's 3.4% difference of overall performance between 2666 and 3600. The price difference between 2666 and 3600 is bigger if not equal to 6400 and 3600. Maybe OP should pair his 13th Gen CPU with those.

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
Humans can see up to 200-240 FPS not everyone but the potential is there. Also it's not just about the FPS number but perceiving the difference in smoothness of motion. If you have been gaming all your life your eyes and brain have been trained to see higher FPS and also notice such difference in smoothness.

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
Humans can see up to 200-240 FPS not everyone but the potential is there. Also it's not just about the FPS number but perceiving the difference in smoothness of motion. If you have been gaming all your life your eyes and brain have been trained to see higher FPS and also notice such difference in smoothness.

Lots of money to spend for "potential" and if you are going to advocate spending many $100s to get this potential you should warn people they may not get this benefit. I bought a 144hz monitor and have barely noticed a difference. (and I have been gaming for 30 years +)

Lots of money to spend for "potential" and if you are going to advocate spending many $100s to get this potential you should warn people they may not get this benefit. I bought a 144hz monitor and have barely noticed a difference. (and I have been gaming for 30 years +)
So because you don't notice a difference you believe that nobody does and therefore its irrelevant?
Claim what you like but you are putting enormous value and recommending enormous spending just to ensure that performance is at a level that you well never see a framerate below that of the monitor. I think if you can spend ½ the money and get that 90-95% of the time that is good value and a much more sensible way to spend money. You can do want you want with your own money but convincing others to be in your little cult in which having perfect framerates are the only possible goal without knowing their financial circumstances is irresponsible.

I see you are just like those audiophiles who claim they can "hear" sound at higher frequencies than science has proved the human ear works at and swears blind that somehow they defy the norm. Again if you think it is worth it for you do what you like but when you advocate to others you should have some consideration that they shouldn't be peer pressured into bad financial decisions for your personal quirks.
I recommended nothing in this thread, and the ones I did were well within budget. I gave options well under the budget in the threads you are referring too as well. If someone says they have a budget of 2500 dollars and they have a high res, high refresh rate monitor, you best believe I am going to add a capable graphics card to match. Anything less would be an idiotic recommendation especially when their chief concern is gaming performance.

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
So because you don't notice a difference you believe that nobody does and therefore its irrelevant?

I recommended nothing in this thread, and the ones I did were well within budget. I gave options well under the budget in the threads you are referring too as well. If someone says they have a budget of 2500 dollars and they have a high res, high refresh rate monitor, you best believe I am going to add a capable graphics card to match. Anything less would be an idiotic recommendation especially when their chief concern is gaming performance.

Yeh but you aren't providing all the information, you are pretending that everyone will get the benefit from spending large amounts to for high refresh and high fps when lots of people wont so you should at least caveat it.

Yeh but you aren't providing all the information, you are pretending that everyone will get the benefit from spending large amounts to for high refresh and high fps when lots of people wont so you should at least caveat it.
I am not pretending. How can you possibly claim to know anything about me and how I am saying things? Ad hominem attack after ad hominem attack, its not doing anything for your point of view. How could I possible provide ALL the information regarding anything? I could make that same argument that if you do not provide all the information you are the one with an invalid point. We give opinions not masters thesis's on every potential. There is a clear statistical and real world benefit to having more powerful graphics cards especially when the performance is so closely in line with price for most cards I have suggested. You seem to think that every game is going to run at 300 fps when in reality not all will. A year or two from now when more demanding games come out their performance will suffer more than necessary at the same settings if buying a graphics cards that just meets the needs of now when you have in your budget more money available to you. You can buy the minimum best graphics card that will get you the minimum 120 fps you want every 2 years if you want. You will find that is a more expensive proposition. I personally buy a graphics card once every 4-8 years, so it mind as well be the one that is close to the top of the stack without too much diminishing returns.

The decision of where the diminishing returns are is in the eye of the beholder. As such we on this forums give our opinion of what a user needs given the circumstances of their build such as, what monitor they have or are going to use, the games they are going to play, what their target framerate is, how long they intend on getting those frame rates for, the budget they have to work with, and what country they are located in. You can disagree with my opinions all you want, but as soon as you claim that, "its scientifically impossible to see X framerate," and make baseless ad hominem attacks as a detractor to our opinions, you are going to get into arguments with people that generally know what they are talking about more than you.

Last edited:

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
You are talking nonsense 3600 DDR4 is cheaper than 2666
SAEcPCl.jpg

lTG7rId.jpg

And DDR 5 6400 is more than 2.5x the price (I had to search around to even find a 6400 kit )

NSLAtGP.jpg
You are the only one here who spouts nonsense, you claim there is 1% difference between DDR4 and DDR5 but when confronted you deflect. You say human eye cannot see high FPS which is again nonsense. And what about these prices? I can show you DDR4 2666 RAMs for as low as $40 all you have to do is google that. Same way I can show you cheap DDR5. Hell Microcenter gives you free DDR5 6000 for free on AMD CPUs. Newegg has them for $180. Nobody told the OP to go buy the craziest RAM anyway.

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
You are the only one here who spouts nonsense, you claim there is 1% difference between DDR4 and DDR5 but when confronted you deflect. You say human eye cannot see high FPS which is again nonsense. And what about these prices? I can show you DDR4 2666 RAMs for as low as $40 all you have to do is google that. Same way I can show you cheap DDR5. Hell Microcenter gives you free DDR5 6000 for free on AMD CPUs. Newegg has them for $180. Nobody told the OP to go buy the craziest RAM anyway.

Deflect? I showed you the graph! Clear evidence. I pulled those Prices direct from the biggest retailer here, maybe in the US you can get 32GB DDR4 2666 for $40 but here it is the same price as DDR 3600. And you specified DDR4 6400 and that was the cheapest price available anywhere. You can get cheaper DDR5 at 4800 or 5200 but it's still north of £150 which is still 60% more than the DDR4.