Party's Over, Windows XP: No More on New PCs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I'm just glad I have an MSDN license, and get install XP if I need it. Although, frankly, I don't need it except to check compatibility with our software. Which is, or course, the purpose of MSDN...

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
i feel its correct marketing strategy in about few years windows 8 will come there is no point in still supporting something as old as XP, one or the other way world has to move on. It these XP users that software makers have to consider while developing S/W and thats why more difficulties.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]XP is still better than 7 for netbooks. 7 uses 1.5GB just sitting on the desktop, that is way too much for a netbook.Linux would be better than both for a netbook anyway.[/citation]
Learn how its memory management works...
The memory consumption reported in Task manager includes cache + active + inactive memory.
While it shows 1.5GB in use, the actual "Active" memory is far less. Cache memory is 85 - 90% of the memory useage on a clean install.
If you dont understand the difference between cache, active, inactive and free memory, see google.
That said, I've used windows 7 on an D150 Acer netbook for a while and it performs to the expected level, a little slower than XP but not much, and in some operations it is actually faster. However, as always, YMMV.
As to Ubuntu on a netbook, thats a fine OS to use.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Can we stop the pissing contest of which is faster? Win 7 isn't bad, but I still feel more comfortable with XP's layout and minimalism. If 7 had the ability to switch to a real task bar and classic start menu, I'd migrate no problem. They say it's "life without walls" yet got rid of all the stuff that makes me stick with XP.

MasterMace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Vista is terrible. Essentially, if MSFT wants to play ball like this, the consumer can argue that they haven't been given an alternative until a year ago, and it's not an upgrade.

I use XP 64 bit. I won't sidegrade or downgrade to a later OS.

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
It's time to let windows XP R.I.P
Windows 7 is okay...could be better... stupid auto arrange feature, and it cost to dang much. Windows 7 Home/Profession should cost 29.99 the former price point for the student edition. Anything more than that is a rip off. Stop price gouging Microsoft!!!!!

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]Can we stop the pissing contest of which is faster? Win 7 isn't bad, but I still feel more comfortable with XP's layout and minimalism. If 7 had the ability to switch to a real task bar and classic start menu, I'd migrate no problem. They say it's "life without walls" yet got rid of all the stuff that makes me stick with XP.[/citation]

XP minimalist i dont think so it is far more clutter up then 7 is just look at windows explorer also you can make the new taskbar function more like the old one but WHY? the new one can allow you to get more stuff done faster faster to find things on the taskbar when ya got many things open it is more efficient so until you use it dont Dog it. also the instant search in windows 7 start menu type in the first letter or letters of something ( P or Pa) and Piant will appear or type in the program ya want no more scrolling through menus and other pop out additional menus

so get windows 7 and use it before you GUESS what you think you know and how you assume windows 7 is

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
i personally running faster with 7 pro on my ION netbook... not denying the fact that 7 uses more ram, but it is better optimized and it utilizes the gpu for a lot of tasks.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Aintry[/nom]Thanks, I've already done a lot of research, and that's the reason I'm holding off for now.[/citation]

so the windows 7 audio stack is the reason your holding off, ok hate to break it to ya but this is how it is and only how it will be for the next well every on windows new audio stack. bow i ask you what hardware is it you have you cant use windows 7 on because you assume there is no drivers for it. eatherway windows 7s audiostack is more flexible then the old windows sound API system

G

Windows XP is still what most corporations still use. So MS will still have to support at least the pro edition of it for quite some time. Corporate IT departments are not about to change to Windows 7 and spend tons of money when XP pro does the job so well.

randomizer

Champion

Ubuntu runs better still, and it's a fairly sluggish distro in comparison to others :) Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04 shuts down faster on my netbook with a 5400RPM HDD than Windows 7 does on my desktop running on an SSD (not by much, but it's still faster). The whole system runs smoothly. I am yet to try Win 7 on my netbook but see no reason to bother. The difference between the XP + crapware and a fresh install of UNE is day and night in speed. My netbook is too small for doing anything that needs Windows. It's more for filling in time on the train than anything else. :lol:

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]memike[/nom]Windows XP is still what most corporations still use. So MS will still have to support at least the pro edition of it for quite some time. Corporate IT departments are not about to change to Windows 7 and spend tons of money when XP pro does the job so well.[/citation]

XP will not be supported no matter what home or pro i mean Microsoft has given XP minor life support but beyond that there is none and there is already allot of corporations who are switching i am sure . and you know most will spend the money if it will put more productivity to there workers and office employees in each day and get more work done

[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Ubuntu runs better still, and it's a fairly sluggish distro in comparison to others Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04 shuts down faster on my netbook with a 5400RPM HDD than Windows 7 does on my desktop running on an SSD (not by much, but it's still faster. The whole system runs smoothly. I am yet to try Win 7 on my netbook but see no reason to bother. The difference between the XP + crapware and a fresh install of UNE is day and night in speed. My netbook is too small for doing anything that needs Windows. It's more for filling in time on the train than anything else.[/citation]

what you think anything past XP is Crapware you think that windows 7 is just XP with Crap added wow arnt you well misinformed since you siad you self

( I am yet to try Win 7 on my netbook) witch means you are judgeing windows 7 based on what oh right nothing cause you have yet to try it .

mr_nuke_me

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I find the last question discourteous, but I will answer it nonetheless: none.
I run Fedora on my EEEPC, but then I wouldn't buy any computer hardware if part of its price included any sort of license from M$.

You simply cannot do HPC on an EEEPC with M$.

randomizer

Champion

Did you completely miss the part of my post where I said I am running Win 7 on my desktop, or am I not understanding your post due to the utter lack of grammar? I know Win 7 quite well, I've been using it for more than a year. It's just a polished update to Vista. It's only marginally different, in some ways better and in some ways worse. It's certainly a different beast to XP though. But just like XP it is boring to use. Windows has always been boring to use. Linux is fun to mess with.

skyline100

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
no wallpaper changing on windows 7 starter is totally sucks.

replaced the windows 7 starter with the meego os on my hp mini. =D

drethon

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I have a 4 year old laptop and I updated it to Windows 7 a year ago. Since the update it has always run very smooth compared to either Vista (came with the laptop, especially improved on this point) or XP which I had been running for a few months before updating to 7. Any performance differences are minimal but more important seems to be the stability, windows 7 simply never crashed (yet).

G

Unless you have older hardware, nearly every modern machine ( Dual Core, 2GB Ram ) that i have installed Win 7 on runs better than XP.

Thats a couple of hundred upgrades from XP/Vista to Win 7 and i have only had to roll back a few times due to compatibility with old ways,programs or not wanting to learn a new OS reasons.

Mostly PEBCAK issues with people not liking Windows 7 TBH!

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
XP was a super solid OS for most people, but for MSFT to get everyone to move on to the new software (7 and beyond) this is a needed step.

Status
Not open for further replies.