Party's Over, Windows XP: No More on New PCs

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]notuptome2004[/nom]What gear would that be cause i am sure your gear would work just great under windows 7 as windows 7 audiostack fixed all the sound issues vista had and well also is far more capable and advanced over what XP offers and Drivers are a non issue now for windows 7. i think you assume we still in the begin months of windows vista when drivers for some manufactures were a tad spotty and or non existent so please Detail the hardware you have and then maby go out and try windows 7.[/citation]

Hardware like dedicated high end recording audio cards ( echo, MOTU, and others to name a few...) have yet to release windows 7 drivers. And some may not develope them for there older (but still quite usefull) cards

Aintry

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]notuptome2004[/nom]so the windows 7 audio stack is the reason your holding off, ok hate to break it to ya but this is how it is and only how it will be for the next well every on windows new audio stack. bow i ask you what hardware is it you have you cant use windows 7 on because you assume there is no drivers for it. eatherway windows 7s audiostack is more flexible then the old windows sound API system[/citation]

Oh, brother. Do they teach reading comprehension in school anymore?

I didn't tell you what my precise reasons were for holding back on migrating to Windows 7; you're just making assumptions. I also didn't ask you to "break anything" to me; your comments are entirely unsolicited.

You don't have any idea what kind of audio processing I do, and I've been doing my type of audio processing since 1985. The fact that you continue to opine to me just makes you look silly, IMO.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Ubuntu runs better still, and it's a fairly sluggish distro in comparison to others Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04 shuts down faster on my netbook with a 5400RPM HDD than Windows 7 does on my desktop running on an SSD (not by much, but it's still faster). The whole system runs smoothly. I am yet to try Win 7 on my netbook but see no reason to bother. The difference between the XP + crapware and a fresh install of UNE is day and night in speed. My netbook is too small for doing anything that needs Windows. It's more for filling in time on the train than anything else.[/citation]
Ubuntu 10.10 is pretty slick on my netbook. I see no reason to use windows on my netbook as I'm not doing any hardcore gaming or anything else that I really need windows for.

TheMadScientist

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I use XP and Lubuntu Linux on my 1.6GHz Pentium M laptop with 512MBytes of RAM. Lubuntu is superior to XP in almost every category. I will never put Win 7 on it and XP will probably be removed in the near future.

Tried Vista Ultimate and hated it.
Went back to XP Pro.
Tried Win 7, smoother than Vista but not worth the cost right now.
Check out other article.
It says Win 8 coming in two years.
Will wait two years and buy Win7 when it is cheap and further updated (SP1 etc).
Long Live XP!
When you msconfig all unnecessary startups and generally unneeded processes (Remote Desktop,Help,etc) on XP it runs like a dream.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]king smp[/nom]Tried Vista Ultimate and hated it.Went back to XP Pro.Tried Win 7, smoother than Vista but not worth the cost right now.Check out other article.It says Win 8 coming in two years.Will wait two years and buy Win7 when it is cheap and further updated (SP1 etc).Long Live XP!When you msconfig all unnecessary startups and generally unneeded processes (Remote Desktop,Help,etc) on XP it runs like a dream.[/citation]

WOW if your default XP dont run like a Dream then you got issues cause XP is 9 years old out of date tech and so new tech wont run on it so ther be major issue if a 9 year old OS dont run well for you, to the fact ya have to tweak it.

and as for the cost of windows 7 you can in some places get windows 7 Home Edition 64bit for $99 and pro 64bit for $139 so cost is not that much and hell i am getting me a copy and i am flat ass broke after the 2nd of each month. ( disabled so cant work)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5213932&Sku=M17-7302

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5213934&Sku=M17-7306

randomizer

Champion

They still work with a 9-year-old filesystem though. Somebody please kill NTFS! There are so many better filesystems available on Unix-like OSs.

10.10 annoyed me. I can't stand Unity, it's just way too sluggish (11.04 should correct that when Mutter gets dumped in favour of Compiz). 10.04 is brilliant though.

Did you know that most people use computers for work, not games? Given the fact that every discussion about hardware performance and the "best" software always comes down to gaming (even when the article in question relates to servers!), if I didn't know any better I would get the impression from this site that Windows is just an expensive toy for gaming. I guess Linux is for real work then.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]notuptome2004[/nom]XP minimalist i dont think so it is far more clutter up then 7 is just look at windows explorer also you can make the new taskbar function more like the old one but WHY? the new one can allow you to get more stuff done faster faster to find things on the taskbar when ya got many things open it is more efficient so until you use it dont Dog it. also the instant search in windows 7 start menu type in the first letter or letters of something ( P or Pa) and Piant will appear or type in the program ya want no more scrolling through menus and other pop out additional menus so get windows 7 and use it before you GUESS what you think you know and how you assume windows 7 is[/citation]

Well you might have had a shot...except I've been dual booting Win 7 since beta and currently have Win 7 Ultimate x86 dual booting on my laptop and x64 dual booting on my desktop..both legal copies. I'm not sure how you can claim XP's explorer is an example of clutter when 7's explorer is clogged to the gills with useless items like "Library" "Favorites" taking up tons of folder-tree space that can't be turned off unless you go registry hunting. Then there's tons of little annoyances like not being able to move windows around without a stupid mouse smoothing/acceleration delay. Take a look at the nightmare the "new" control panel is...but since I doubt you're a power user you've probably never been there.

And us grownups don't need or want to search for everything. If I want to run something like paint I do Win+R mspaint. I've also added other run shortcuts for firefox, thunderbird, office, etc. The taskbar does add some useful functions but then kills them by thinking everyone uses applications that can be recognized by their icons. Quick launch has become quite useless since you can't double stack shortcuts anymore.

So maybe you shouldn't assume that someone has or hasn't done anything because it just makes an ass out of you.

To notuptome2004
If you want to spend the money that is up to you.
Also keep running your OS's with stuff like Remote Desktop running if you like security breaches.
A REAL tech will tell you to turn off unneccesssary processes especially ones that cause holes in the system.
Also isn't this whole site dedicated to tweaking?
I wasn't insulting Win7. But why get it right now when in a couple of years Win8 is scheduled to come out?
Also I use alot of freeware General Public license software of which there is more available for XP than any other OS (well linux has its share too).
And I got burned buying Vista Ultimate a few years ago so pardon me if I
am leary of rushing out and buying an OS if I don't need it.
I'd rather use the money for a hardware upgrade.
In a year or two there should be a SP1 for Win7 and it will be even cheaper plus I will be able to see if Win8 is a better choice.
PLUS I won't be "flat ass broke" after the second of the month.
My wife is disabled and she spends her money WISELY!

BTW notuptome2004 what new tech doesnt run on WinXP?
Every piece of hardware I see out there is compatible with XP.
And any tech will tell you (I know I am A+ cert) that removing bloatware and unnecessary processes from any OS is recommended.
I hate to see how your system runs....

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]king smp[/nom]BTW notuptome2004 what new tech doesnt run on WinXP?Every piece of hardware I see out there is compatible with XP.And any tech will tell you (I know I am A+ cert) that removing bloatware and unnecessary processes from any OS is recommended.I hate to see how your system runs....[/citation]

Well more like stuff like Direct x11 and stuff like that i mean i have seen some people pay money for a $250+ DX11 GPU only to wast the money on it and cripple the hardware by run it on windows XP

[citation][nom]king smp[/nom]To notuptome2004If you want to spend the money that is up to you.Also keep running your OS's with stuff like Remote Desktop running if you like security breaches.A REAL tech will tell you to turn off unneccesssary processes especially ones that cause holes in the system.Also isn't this whole site dedicated to tweaking?I wasn't insulting Win7. But why get it right now when in a couple of years Win8 is scheduled to come out?Also I use alot of freeware General Public license software of which there is more available for XP than any other OS (well linux has its share too).And I got burned buying Vista Ultimate a few years ago so pardon me if Iam leary of rushing out and buying an OS if I don't need it.I'd rather use the money for a hardware upgrade.In a year or two there should be a SP1 for Win7 and it will be even cheaper plus I will be able to see if Win8 is a better choice.PLUS I won't be "flat ass broke" after the second of the month.My wife is disabled and she spends her money WISELY![/citation]

i dont see anything in windows 7 explorer that make me scream clogged. you can minimalism that somewhat and also your claim on the control panel if i need something in it i can search in the start menu or the windows explorer and find what i need right away. need Power option ( type in Power ) doing so will show up all power options related to power.[citation][nom]king smp[/nom]BTW notuptome2004 what new tech doesnt run on WinXP?Every piece of hardware I see out there is compatible with XP.And any tech will tell you (I know I am A+ cert) that removing bloatware and unnecessary processes from any OS is recommended.I hate to see how your system runs....[/citation]

as for your mouse issue i dont see or have that at all.

King SMP windows 7 SP1 RC leaked to the internet so SP1 is just right around the corner . also sure you can spend the money on hardware upgrades but Why since Windows XP wont take proper advantage of those upgrades

Also sorry to hear that your Wife is disable but my money goes on Rent and Bills and barely no food but as for me buying a copy of windows 7 i intend to with small amount of saved money each month.

I dont even understand who you are replying to?
If you want to buy WIn7 that is your business.
I am not saying it isnt better than XP it is some regards but for what I do and the system I have XP is fine.
I dont know why you attacked me because I like XP.
FACT- removing unnecessary and dangerous processes like Remote Desktop (if you dont use it)helps any OS run smoother.
FACT- Win8 is coming out in two years.
I will of course upgrade from XP in the next couple of years but dont for ME see a reason why.
You had no reason to single me out.
And by the way if you have a DirectX 11 card and DX11 games than why are you complaining about money?
I have rent,car insurance,utilities,child in private school etc and I just scrape by.
Id rather spend 139 dollars on groceries than a OS I don't need right now.
Dont go attacking somebody for no reason.
Nothing in the post I wrote that you attacked had anything bad about Win7.
I HATE VISTA!
Now read over my posts SLOWLY and practice reading comprehension unless your disability is mental in which case I deeply apologise.
I like Win7 but for ME the cost is not justified RIGHT NOW.
OBVIOUSLY in the next few years XP is going to be obsolete but for now is still viable.
Should I write slower so you can understand???

You know I just realized I think I smell TROLL (notuptome2004).
I HATE TROLLS.
GO back to Craigslist notuptome2004 and go to rant and rave section.
That is where stuff like this belongs.
I will not bother to respond to you anymore unless it is a thoughtful technical discussion utilizing logic and reasoning.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]king smp[/nom]You know I just realized I think I smell TROLL (notuptome2004).I HATE TROLLS.GO back to Craigslist notuptome2004 and go to rant and rave section.That is where stuff like this belongs.I will not bother to respond to you anymore unless it is a thoughtful technical discussion utilizing logic and reasoning.[/citation]

Look i understand what you are saying i got almost the same crap to pay for but i been saving little by little for the last few months . and no i am not running DX11 anything on my system all the parts i got are almost all donated from friend or family or Christmas or birthday gift. i said Almost . anyways best luck and wishes to your family so have a good day

Thank you.
Win7 is the future.
I never denied that.
BTW I saw the OEM version of Win7 on Newegg I think even cheaper.
Its license is more limited but it is half the price.
It is worth checking out.
No hard feelings.
I wish you the best.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
@radomizer - true, people use computers for work, but most of that work is done by employer supplied PCs, which tend to be Windows client-side. Moreover, PCs have been good enough for most work for years, so refresh cycles in the business are, in my opinion, going to slow down. I'm still rocking an AMD x2 4600+ on my work PC and it is still far more then capable of handling intensive database work. So I see most new PC sales being driven by those that do actually need a new PC with more horsepower - and that need for horsepower largely coming from multimedia applications (games included). Since the article is talking about new PC sales, I'd say that's a fair argument.

What throws a wrench in said argument is of course netbook/laptop sales, but that's more of a form factor need/want rather then a functionality need/want.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Status
Not open for further replies.