Question Passive cooler for Haswell Pentium

Jan 7, 2020
Hello.
I have an older PC setup with 1150 Haswell Pentium G3250 on. It works well for things I do, but the stock fan is noisy and it makes me mad. So I started to look on less noisy fans and I found ARCTIC Alpine 12 Passive, that has no fan and thus makes zero noise. However, the producer states that it can be used on any processor under 47W TDP, but mine is 53W. I know that passive coolers aren't good, but I don't use much CPU intensive apps, the CPU is almost idle most of the time. So I want to ask, is it possible to somehow "underclock" the CPU so it would have less TDP and then I can use the passive cooler, or does that 6W above limit really matter (is that restriction meant for 65 or 95W processors rather than 50W pentiums?) ? As far as I have searched for passive coolers, I didn't found any other except the ARCTIC one. However, if this isn't possible, could you recommend me some really silent fan? Since this processor is rather cheap (it costed like 50€ back then), I think it is absurd to buy some expensive water cooled solutions or expensive fans. Heat isn't the problem, only the noise. Is there any fan under 15€ thats silent enough to be a good replacement for the stock one worth buying?
Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
By almost idle, what do you tax the system with? I'd ask you to do less mathematical calculations and workaround and just pick up a Noctua cooler which is known to be quiet and reliable and efficient at cooling.

List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

so we know you don't have clearance issues when suggesting a cooler. Preferred site for purchase?

Jan 7, 2020
By almost idle, what do you tax the system with? I'd ask you to do less mathematical calculations and workaround and just pick up a Noctua cooler which is known to be quiet and reliable and efficient at cooling.

List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

so we know you don't have clearance issues when suggesting a cooler. Preferred site for purchase?

I use it mainly for web browsing and some lightweight programming. Sometimes for playing old games.
My PC:
CPU: Pentium G3250
Mobo: MSI H81M-E33
RAM: one 4GB stick DDR3 1600MHz Kingston
HDD: 500GB 7200rpm samsung (planning to replace with SSD in near time)
GPU: Gigabite GT 730 2GB
PSU: some 400W 15€
Chassis: standard middle tower, without any fans

I don't have any preffered site for purchase, I can purchase it from one of local eshops.

Last edited: