Passively Cooling Nvidia's GeForce GTX 750 Ti...With An AMD Sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Excellent article; very unique take on what seems to be another future possibility for 750 Ti in the retail channel. I would have however, loved to see some thermals for the passively cooled card in a case like Fractal's Define R4 or Nanoxia's Deep Silence.

I love passively cooled cards! I modded my old 9800GT to be passively cooled back in the day, and it was amazing! I installed an aftermarket cooler to my current GTX570, but it is not passive... still an improvement, but simply not the same.I am really hoping that there are passive options for some of the upper-mid level 800 series cards. I would love to have a more silent rig again.

arthos

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I am a kind of person who'd not try to experiment something like this with newer models. If anything that ran hot in my college days are to be experimented I won't say no :D

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
"This is for Cautious People

If you're not willing to trust Nvidia's 80 °C temperature target (the company says 95 degrees is the GPU's thermal threshold), you can of course set a lower target of, say, 70 °C"

So, taking the card and voiding its warranty by custom-rigging it with a heatsink that wasn't designed for it is fine, but running it at 80c? OHHHH HEELLL NAAAWWWW!!! That's just too dangerous! Won't someone think of the CHILDREN?!?!

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
the correct term, at least in Indiana, for the modification made to the screw holes is: waller. You got to waller out those holes so the new heat sink will fit.Dry

pazuso

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
I remember putting an stock AthlonXP heasink/fan on my geForce 4200 Ti, and another stock AthlonXP heatsink (without fan) on the motherboard's nForce northbridge!

KateC

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
How is the dissipation affected? Less power since no fan to power, but this will be offset against more leakage current at higher temperatures. Inquiring minds want to know.

My wish: take the HIS iSilence cooler, slap it on a 750 Ti, and drop those in a Raven-like case that has full airflow front to back over the card. Call it quasi-passive cooling. You get a little active airflow over the cooler but with no additional fans than you already have.

While 80c sounds bad. My GTX 670(reference cooler) would run at that all the time anyway.90+ for the VRM's is within the 150c spec for most mosfets.So I think this was a great success. A case with even a small bit of airflow should pull those temperatures down a bit as well(passive cards to not need much air to cool down).

@azuso I have an old Athlon XP cooler on the VRM's of my video card as we speak :)

On that topic. My old 4200ti fan did die. Should have done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS