Question Password protected excel files are not opening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2024
Using msoffice 2007 in an old windows 10 machine. The specs are of this system are very low but are fine for the use case. I usually get password protected excel files (.xlsx), less than 20kb in size per month, which contains important data. No tables or anything just raw data. It used to ask for the passowrd to open it and everything was fine. Recently formatted the pc and reinstalled ms office 2007. Now whenever I click on these password protected files, I get this View: https://imgur.com/a/QeK3uy1

It doesn't ask me to input the password at all. Tried opening these files in a FOSS office suite in a phone and it asks for the password and opens just fine. I have only installed ms word and ms excel in this pc from the ms office 2007 suite. Is there any setting wherein we have to enable something so that it asks to enter the password to open this file? Before you think that there might be some compatibility issues, I have the password protected files from 2 years ago also, which opened well in this ms office 2007 before the format. Even if those are now opened, they are showing the same screen as shown in the screenshot above. For testing purpses, I randomly saved a dummy file with the password protect feature from ms office 2007 and it works fine. Cannot install FOSS office suite in this pc as the specs are really very low and the other person who uses this machine is only comfortable with the ui of ms office 2007. What should be done here?

Status
Not open for further replies.