Question problem with intel stock cpu fan

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
hi, my cpu fan make a strange annoying sound. it goes up then down.

i was going to change it and get a new one but a repair center told me to use oil on it.

anyone had same experience? what kind of oil should I use? and where exactly?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If it is an OEM cooler like is typical, then you just need to strap a fan blowing down onto the cooler. Quite cheap way to do it.

You can put in new coolers on OEM boards like that too. Basically get a cooler that has a threaded backplate/post system and fits the CPU socket type. Discard the backplate/posts. Deepcool Gammaxx, Hyper 212, and many others have mounts like that.

All you need do after that is get some M3 machine screws of an appropriate length and some washers. Basically a hard mount, but as long as you tighten things evenly it is fine. If the cooler has springs on the posts, those can be repurposed if they fit under the washers.

Essentially instead of screwing a nut onto a post to push down the cooler, you are running a screw down from the top, through the cooler mounts, into the chassis threaded holes to pull the cooler down.

Just have to be conscious of interior height. If this is a slim design, then most tower coolers are not going to work. I'm not aware of any decent down draft coolers that can be made to fit onto integrated backplates, but I also haven't tried.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First, FORGET about oil! Decades ago and earlier, fans were constructed so you actually could disassemble them to reach the bearings and add a tiny drop of light oil, then re-assemble to work. NOT SO for a long time now. The fan interior design is now quite different, and they all are built with sealed-up frames. You cannot break the frame open to get inside to components, and you cannot re-assemble the cracked mess if you try! If you simply spray or drip oil onto the exterior of the fan, that oil will go everywhere and cause more problems inside by contaminating all the wrong things. When fan bearings wear out now, your only choice is to replace the fan.

Now, we need a clearer description of your issue. Almost all the replies above assume you have an older fan with worn out bearings, and that may NOT be your issue. IF your bearings are worn, there is a common sequence of developing symptoms. First you notice that the fan makes an odd noise when it first starts up from being cold and off for a long time. But after a minute or less the noise stops and does not happen again. If you reboot it is not there. But if you shut down for hours so the system cools off, the noise IS there again for a short time. As months go by, the period of initial noise gets longer. Eventually the noise becomes permanent. And after that, it stops completely because the fan is seized up and NOT working at all! So, IF that is your pattern, plan to replace the fan before it is giving almost constant noise.

There's another cause that many have seen that has nothing to do with worn fan bearings or old fans. There are two very similar cooling control systems in your computer. One is only for cooling your CPU chip, and the other is concerned with cooling the entire case interior and the mobo components. Each system uses a temperature sensor to guide how fast its fans run to blow cooling air. Many such systems change the fan speed the control in steps, not in a smooth continuous manner. When this happens (either speed up or slow down) the user may notice the sound change. SOMETIMES this becomes annoying because it happens frequently. Usually that is because, just by coincidence, the actual normal operating temperature at the related sensor is very close to the point of the control system where it is programmed to change speeds in one fair-sized step. So, as the small normal variations of temperature happen, they become very obvious repeated changes of fan noise up and down. This is NOT a flaw of the parts and does not require replacing anything. If you do not want simply to ignore it, there is a simple fix you can do by adjusting the settings of the automatic fan control system for whichever fan is doing all the speed changing.

So, IF your symptoms are NOT like the development of worn fan bearings, and more like the second cause I described above, post back here for details of how to adjust. For that we need to know what computer system - maker and model - you have. OR, if it was custom-built from components, tell us the maker and model of the motherboard, and what CPU cooler system you have. We also will need to help you figure out whether this noise comes from the CPU cooler or the case ventilation fans. With such info we can look up details and give you more complete instructions.

On the other hand, if your issue really does appear to be part way along the developing sequence of fan bearing wear, we do need to identify which fan is making the noise. IF it is the CPU cooler system, we need to know exactly what cooler unit is mounted on the CPU chip. In many such cases one can replace ONLY the fan of that unit, and not remove and replace the entire cooler on top of the CPU. We can advise with more info from you.

Last edited:

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
First, FORGET about oil! Decades ago and earlier, fans were constructed so you actually could disassemble them to reach the bearings and add a tiny drop of light oil, then re-assemble to work. NOT SO for a long time now. The fan interior design is now quite different, and they all are built with sealed-up frames. You cannot break the frame open to get inside to components, and you cannot re-assemble the cracked mess if you try! If you simply spray or drip oil onto the exterior of the fan, that oil will go everywhere and cause more problems inside by contaminating all the wrong things. When fan bearings wear out now, your only choice is to replace the fan.

Now, we need a clearer description of your issue. Almost all the replies above assume you have an older fan with worn out bearings, and that may NOT be your issue. IF your bearings are worn, there is a common sequence of developing symptoms. First you notice that the fan makes an odd noise when it first starts up from being cold and off for a long time. But after a minute or less the noise stops and does not happen again. If you reboot it is not there. But if you shut down for hours so the system cools off, the noise IS there again for a short time. As months go by, the period of initial noise gets longer. Eventually the noise becomes permanent. And after that, it stops completely because the fan is seized up and NOT working at all! So, IF that is your pattern, plan to replace the fan before it is giving almost constant noise.

There's another cause that many have seen that has nothing to do with worn fan bearings or old fans. There are two very similar cooling control systems in your computer. One is only for cooling your CPU chip, and the other is concerned with cooling the entire case interior and the mobo components. Each system uses a temperature sensor to guide how fast its fans run to blow cooling air. Many such systems change the fan speed the control in steps, not in a smooth continuous manner. When this happens (either speed up or slow down) the user may notice the sound change. SOMETIMES this becomes annoying because it happens frequently. Usually that is because, just by coincidence, the actual normal operating temperature at the related sensor is very close to the point of the control system where it is programmed to change speeds in one fair-sized step. So, as the small normal variations of temperature happen, they become very obvious repeated changes of fan noise up and down. This is NOT a flaw of the parts and does not require replacing anything. If you do not want simply to ignore it, there is a simple fix you can do by adjusting the settings of the automatic fan control system for whichever fan is doing all the speed changing.

So, IF your symptoms are NOT like the development of worn fan bearings, and more like the second cause I described above, post back here for details of how to adjust. For that we need to know what computer system - maker and model - you have. OR, if it was custom-built from components, tell us the maker and model of the motherboard, and what CPU cooler system you have. We also will need to help you figure out whether this noise comes from the CPU cooler or the case ventilation fans. With such info we can look up details and give you more complete instructions.

On the other hand, if your issue really does appear to be part way along the developing sequence of fan bearing wear, we do need to identify which fan is making the noise. IF it is the CPU cooler system, we need to know exactly what cooler unit is mounted on the CPU chip. In many such cases one can replace ONLY the fan of that unit, and not remove and replace the entire cooler on top of the CPU. We can advise with more info from you.
its a stock cooler from intel for cor i3 6100
temps are around 55 under full load.
but that noise make me want to put a pen between the fan blades and make it stop!!!

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
a new stock intel cooler is around 1.5$.
if oils is not an option, then i should get one in near future.

also i have a LGA775 cooler which works fine. but i'm not sure if i can use it here with this cpu.
any idea on that one?
the heatsink is taller. but other than that, they look the same.
i know for sure, it works fine even at +2000rpm. (this one makes me crazy at 1300rpm)

from that link, i saw 119$.
i believe that's not a good option for a 10$ worth cpu
Not sure where its taking you, but should go to amazon and its $19.90

You also need to watch out as the LGA 775 uses a 72mm hole spread vs the 75MM on the 1151. The z height, top of motherboard to top of cpu is 18.47mm on the 775 vs 10.23mm on the 1151 socket so you wont get adequate pressure form the cooler to cpu.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-Assassin-Heatpipes-TL-C12C-LGA1700/dp/B09YY5LQV9/ref=sr_1_4?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.zqq6nz_acWvS8--lWpKCj1DOYIIJ5IpUsMTWM6DNSYxQ97sOLpYQbaJ3jaTVmefeKZZpTks6TOwaMHDrZMlRriUV-dgVLstGHb5Xl7di4ELbx_hxS66-ASN34ghj6eYZIIBq4DOND-SN_J4soy1yxDF0ofkWs1MlC5yg-UQJ1WQNyirvl5SzPnvatCHToxMHR5quZttlgUdDiTQmpi7gYoYuXbemVzL-fzPxL_Qe0mc.c3tL7BWbo5Qztj-9LQ9WOEwEVkovNB3Q3IQwZR2QMTY&dib_tag=se&keywords=Thermalright+Assassin+King+120+SE&qid=1728496448&sr=8-4&th=1

Last edited:
Reactions: .valkyrie.

logainofhades

Titan
Practically any cheap tower cooler is going to be better than the garbage Intel uses for stock cooling. This one is more than enough for your i3, and should fit in any standard case.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X 90 SE 43 CFM CPU Cooler ($16.90 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $16.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-10-09 14:23 EDT-0400

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have not given us a more detailed description of your issue. Is it worn bearings that require replacement of the cooler unit, or is is a control issue of simply changing speeds and sound?

IF you decide the cooler needs replacement, I see now that there is no simple way to replace the FAN only on that cooler unit. You must replace the whole thing. This video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwpHbNS4suQ

shows how to remove that cooler and clean off the old thermal paste. In cleaning off old paste, do NOT scrape or scratch it! Sometimes a clean tissue or rag with a modest amount of rubbing alcohol on it can help to soften and remove old paste. NOT a LOT of alcohol - don't want it to drip down under the CPU. Make SURE the CPU surface is clean and all DRY before proceeding. It goes on to how to re-install the same cooler. IF you buy a different replacement model, follow the install instructions for that new unit.

A few hints.
1. For REMOVAL, sometimes the thermal paste is old and dried, and the cooler does not want to lift off the CPU. DO leave the CPU chip fastened in its socket for this. AFTER undoing the four hold-down "screws" you may want to try "rocking" the cooler and / or twisting it gently to try to break the seal so the cooler can be lifted.

2. If this does NOT work, another technique is to ensure everything is back as normal with the case open, and start your system up. Let it warm up fully and this may soften the paste. Now shut down and disconnect from power. Again, ensure the hold-down "screws" have been undone, then try again to move the cooler around and loosen it with the softer paste.

3. NEW thermal paste must be used as you install the new cooler. It may come with some, or you might need to buy your own. HOW MUCH to apply is important - too much is just as bad as too little. Follow instructions for YOUR CPU chip. An example is shown in that video. A good technique is to apply the "blob" in the middle, lower the cooler onto the top of the CPU chip already fixed in its socket, then twist it a bit in both directions with little pressure to spread the paste. Finally align it in final position and start screwing down the fasteners. Follow the instructions with the cooler. Many advise PARTIAL tightening of screws on opposite corners, then further tightening in stages to ensure even pressure all around.

4. Depending on what the new cooler is, you MAY not be able to make all its connections and mounting screws work unless you remove the entire mobo from the case so it can be properly supported on a clean dry surface for work.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
my bad. i saw it wrong 🌷

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
You have not given us a more detailed description of your issue. Is it worn bearings that require replacement of the cooler unit, or is is a control issue of simply changing speeds and sound?

IF you decide the cooler needs replacement, I see now that there is no simple way to replace the FAN only on that cooler unit. You must replace the whole thing. This video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwpHbNS4suQ

shows how to remove that cooler and clean off the old thermal paste. In cleaning off old paste, do NOT scrape or scratch it! Sometimes a clean tissue or rag with a modest amount of rubbing alcohol on it can help to soften and remove old paste. NOT a LOT of alcohol - don't want it to drip down under the CPU. Make SURE the CPU surface is clean and all DRY before proceeding. It goes on to how to re-install the same cooler. IF you buy a different replacement model, follow the install instructions for that new unit.

A few hints.
1. For REMOVAL, sometimes the thermal paste is old and dried, and the cooler does not want to lift off the CPU. DO leave the CPU chip fastened in its socket for this. AFTER undoing the four hold-down "screws" you may want to try "rocking" the cooler and / or twisting it gently to try to break the seal so the cooler can be lifted.

2. If this does NOT work, another technique is to ensure everything is back as normal with the case open, and start your system up. Let it warm up fully and this may soften the paste. Now shut down and disconnect from power. Again, ensure the hold-down "screws" have been undone, then try again to move the cooler around and loosen it with the softer paste.

3. NEW thermal paste must be used as you install the new cooler. It may come with some, or you might need to buy your own. HOW MUCH to apply is important - too much is just as bad as too little. Follow instructions for YOUR CPU chip. An example is shown in that video. A good technique is to apply the "blob" in the middle, lower the cooler onto the top of the CPU chip already fixed in its socket, then twist it a bit in both directions with little pressure to spread the paste. Finally align it in final position and start screwing down the fasteners. Follow the instructions with the cooler. Many advise PARTIAL tightening of screws on opposite corners, then further tightening in stages to ensure even pressure all around.

4. Depending on what the new cooler is, you MAY not be able to make all its connections and mounting screws work unless you remove the entire mobo from the case so it can be properly supported on a clean dry surface for work.
unfortunately i couldn't distinguish between different causes.
all i know, that this sound come directly from fan. there is no other fan in case. and case door is open... also i used curve on BIOS to make it as silent as possible. it change alot but not enough. also
sounds go crazy on 100% fan speed.
i believe this fan is dead and should be replaced....

all i know is that i have enough space. i could put deep cool gammax 200 v2 in thsi case before.

what if i wash the fan with water? and leave it for a week? is that dangerous? 🥲 i dont need this system alot

TRENDING THREADS