Patent Troll Sues Apple, Dell, HP, 21 Others Over Automation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
And here's perfect proof that the system is completely broken.... "Automation" was conceived more than 100 years ago. Software "automation" is used in every industry and started it's usage prior to Symantec ever filing for the patent (think back to the 60's people as "software automation" is one of the things that allows the internet to function). This is a good case for "prior art" as even Windows used "software automation" to a small extent prior to 1992....maybe that's why MS isn't included in this suit? If by some act of pure stupidity these idiots win, expect higher prices on EVERYTHING.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Perhaps, with patents like these should have a sell-by date. I mean, if implemented in the 90's then it would be ahead of it's time (to a degree). But at the stage we are, it is obvious and could easily be implemented without thought by a weekend programmer.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hardly surprising with todays so called patent system! It needs a restart to actually encourage advances not use them for bullying the competition or like this.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]Perhaps, with patents like these should have a sell-by date. I mean, if implemented in the 90's then it would be ahead of it's time (to a degree). But at the stage we are, it is obvious and could easily be implemented without thought by a weekend programmer.[/citation]

Patents do have a sell by date. That's the whole point of patents. Otherwise they would create indefinite monopolies.
I think patent duration is 20 years from the day of the first filing in most countries these days. Way too long for some of the bullshit that can be patented these days.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Hardly surprising with todays so called patent system! It needs a restart to actually encourage advances not use them for bullying the competition or like this.[/citation]

Patents that were issued need a short expire date and the new system needs international agreement. It does need to be restarted and on an even playing field so that products made in one country aren't able to avoid the costs of licenses in another.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
It seems what many of the lawyers seem to do in this country is create more work and profit for themselves without every contributing to the quality of life to the rest of the country. Just look at all the lawyers at capital hill and what they are doing.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Everything that has or is dependent on a chip (whether it is hardware or software) shoudn't be patented!
It would be the best thing that could happen for innovation!
Only the patent lawyers would be the real losers.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
The newest get-rich-quick game --- Corporate Ransom by Application of Patent, or CRAP for short.

Wait - better trademark that one before someone comes after me...

cchambers

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I wonder what would happen if someone patented the act of suing over a patent violation (patent troll patent).

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]I'm going to issue a formal Patent for the invention of the Wheel.I'm certain that someone forgot to patent that one.../sarcasm[/citation]
An Aussie beat you to it. :p

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
sooo why don't they just sue everyone on earth for living while they're at it? they summed up pretty much every device/software all tech companies offer. Dammnn, Data Carriers must be the grandfather of all technology to be suing over that much. *Laugh*

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Who at the patent office is approving such general "encompasses the whole universe" patents? I'd like to think that the patent office is full of Einsteins waiting to be discovered but this makes it seem more likely that its mostly engineering and scientist rejects who couldn't make it in industry or academia.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@cchambers: IBM already did. That way, they can shut down any patent troll that tries to go after them.

Anyone else ever use the "Record Macro" feature in MS Excel back in like 1990? I suspect that's why MSFT wasn't named. It isn't just an interpretation of the patent to a set of features. It is the very description given in this article.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Patents do have a sell by date. That's the whole point of patents. Otherwise they would create indefinite monopolies.I think patent duration is 20 years from the day of the first filing in most countries these days. Way too long for some of the bullshit that can be patented these days.[/citation]
Not to mention they can make very small changes and reapply them to extend the length of them.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]An Aussie beat you to it.[/citation]

Oh yeah?
I have patented a Troll, so anyone Trolling will have to pay me fees for Trolling.
:)

Hmmm...anyoe check to see if "Data Carriers" subsidiary of Symantec or if the key people or investors are affiliated in any way to Symantec to keep Symantec's name out of it.

Some patents are crazy, you think this is bad you should see some of them in the seed and grain industries. Hopefully, the Defendants will team up and challenge the patent.

Status
Not open for further replies.