Paying for 100 mbps only getting 60 with Ethernet connection

Nov 1, 2018
I have spectrum and am currently paying for 100 Mbps. We've called them multiple times and have had many different routers over time due to different problems, however the one problem that never seems to be fixed is this one currently. We had Verizon before spectrum and I've always got maybe 1 -5mbps less than 100, While with spectrum I've always had at least a 10mbps drop off, and it has always been very inconsistent, recently getting worse and worse where currently I've been getting 60 mbps. So the only reason I can think of would be that this is spectrum's fault. I'm looking to find out if anyone knows of a problem that I may be overlooking or if it is legitimately spectrum's fault,

Your modem should have a status type of page that shows the number of channels and things like SNR ratio and power. Many also have errors indicated. You will always see error counts but you do not want these numbers to be increasing a lot in a short time.

The exact values you want depend on things like the number of channels and the type of docsis. I will let you search for the table it is to complex to replicate here.

Still what is most important is the errors which will reduce the rate you can transfer data. The errors are generally caused by not enough signal or too much noise. The ISP can remotely read these values off your modem.

If all that looks good then you need to start to suspect something else. You could try at different times of day to be sure it is not load on the ISP network. This problem is not as bad as it used to be but you still see people who get poor performance in the evening hours when everyone is getting home from work.

Also make sure all your LAN RJ45 ports are 1Gbs modem - > router -> client all the way. Wifi I would recommend 2x2 mimo AC dual band. older wifi or if it's more than a couple rooms over might have a weak signal.

You really need to monitor on your router to see all the traffic. You can try something like plugging into the modem with resource monitor up.
Something like a VPN client can skew what your seeing on the client. You may be counting the packets after the encryption is removed.
Other clients might be using the internet when you are testing as well. monitoring the data from the router where everything passes is best.