[SOLVED] PBO setting for Ryzen 3800x processor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

orodruin

Honorable
Jan 23, 2019
Hello,

There are a few things I am curious about with my Ryzen 3800X processor.
I want to learn from friends who have knowledge.

I have an Asus Crosshair VIII motherboard and Asus Strix LC360 AIO liquid cooling.
I want to increase the processor performance a little more.

But in my research on the internet, it says that manual overclocking should not be done for the Ryzen 3000 series.
I've seen reviews and articles stating that processors are built on the principle of operation at variable voltage loads.
Many places say it's not good to give constant voltage.

All my settings are kept at factory settings. My CPB setting is in auto.
I also use my PBO setting as Auto. There is a setting between 1x and 10x in the PBO. (Scala)
Is it better to increase this setting or use it as auto tuning?

My aim is to use the processor with optimum performance without damaging or degrade it.
I would appreciate it if you could give information about how PBO and Scalar settings should be.

Solution
FYI I did what you said and was able to produce some higher scores. With some fiddling around I could probably do better, but this is probably close to my CPUs limit. I got this chip right after launch, and what I understand is TSMC's production was able to produce higher yields later on. Maybe I'll wait till its gets really cold and do a speed run to see if I can break that 5000 barrier haha. Thanks again for the help!

dgo4VAh.png
S8ePNus.png
mlEXcDi.png
2m3WKzi.png
The single core CB20 runs (519) suggest your 3800X is performing right up where it should be. I feel you should be able to see MT up over 5100, maybe even to 5200...
There isn't much performance that can be squeezed out of the 3800x unless you have a custom water loop. When Ryzen is chilled it boosts higher on its own. ...

Just a minor point...it doesn't really boost HIGHER; it boosts to whatever it's going to boost to LONGER before pulling back clocks. The boosting algorithm sees greater thermal headroom and responds accordingly. That results in holding it's clocks better.

But it can boost higher with PBO (3800X's in particular) and with the extra thermal margin holding those higher boosts can make a significant performance improvement. Not just synthetic BM's either. With a timed rendering on my 3700X it may not be huge but it is measurable.

If PBO isn't working for you might not setting it up right. Buildzoid has a video on the quirky nature of PBO with Zen2 and a trick or two to help get it to work...right.

But ultimately, AMD's squeezed so much out of the silicon with a very agressive boosting algorithm. There's just not much left to get without going sub-zero on LN2 so things you used to look for on FX processors (20-30% or more improvements with overclocks) just is not going to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Correct it won't necessarily boost higher, but it can boost longer. Also, not denying there is a performance increase, but I am not a creator. All I do is game, maybe if I were using Blender or CAD I might say different. (FYI I upgraded to this 3800x from an FX 6300 :ROFLMAO: so I know what you mean about getting that extra 20%)

Yep I have tried Bildzoid's methods before. I recall him saying you can get more out of a 3700x vs the 3800x. For poops and giggles I just applied them again and these were my results. Top score is Bildzoid's settings in BIOS with PBO enabled and just under it is default BIOS settings and no PBO. I attribute it to my cooling. I have a 360 AIO and I am assuming if I had a custom loop my scores would be better (although I never got above 80c). I also ran the Rise of the Tomb Raider built in benchmark and my FPS scores were the same (1 FPS lower but that's margin of error).

QoWyvci.png

In case you want to see the clocks, voltages, and power draw while running cinebench.
fuI4QNq.png

Correct it won't necessarily boost higher, but it can boost longer. Also, not denying there is a performance increase, but I am not a creator. All I do is game, maybe if I were using Blender or CAD I might say different. (FYI I upgraded to this 3800x from an FX 6300 :ROFLMAO: so I know what you mean about getting that extra 20%)

Yep I have tried Bildzoid's methods before. I recall him saying you can get more out of a 3700x vs the 3800x. For poops and giggles I just applied them again and these were my results. Top score is Bildzoid's settings in BIOS with PBO enabled and just under it is default BIOS settings and no PBO. I attribute it to my cooling. I have a 360 AIO and I am assuming if I had a custom loop my scores would be better (although I never got above 80c). I also ran the Rise of the Tomb Raider built in benchmark and my FPS scores were the same (1 FPS lower but that's margin of error).
I honestly think your processor can do much better than that. My Bronze level 3700X is hitting 5010 MT scores and 508-510 ST scores in CB20 with PBO mildly tweaked.

If you want to try, use these settings. They're suggested by BZ to be universally good:

Enable PBO in manual, set PPT to 330, EDC and TDC both to 230. Set additional performance boost (might be called something different in your bios) to +200Mhz. I also use a PBO Scalar of 5X; you might wish to stay at 1X.

But first, basic BIOS settings I always suggest that are a must: CPU clock and VCore in AUTO and enable the following settings: Cool n Quiet, Advanced C States, Processor CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores.

Once you've got baseline performance with those settings you can try lowering VCore using offsets ONLY, a little at a time. Be sure to measure performance with CB20 to make sure you're not actually hurting performance or stability. Lowering voltage often does help, mainly because mfr's game baseline settings for various reasons.

And oh yes, I forgot: better cooling will help! PBO makes the processor put out more heat since it overrides power limitations, but not thermal. So cooling will make it stay boosting, longer, at the higher clocks it can get to. So with a 360 AIO, you really should be running PBO. I have a 240 AIO and I would not get the performance I am under a stock Wraith cooler.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boris_yo

orodruin

Honorable
Jan 23, 2019
There isn't much performance that can be squeezed out of the 3800x unless you have a custom water loop. When Ryzen is chilled it boosts higher on its own. And yeah I saw the most gains just by enabling XMP, PBO hardly does anything for me. The only place I can see a difference is in synthetic benchmarks. I see no real world benefit from the Ryzen Balanced power plan vs Windows Balanced/Performance power plan. When using the Windows power plans my CPU still boosts to the same frequencies as Ryzen Balanced. The difference is with Ryzen Balanced its always boosting for no reason. Windows balanced only boosts when it needs to. Hope this helps.

My goal is to lower the temperatures rather than increase the processor's clock frequency. That's why I actually opened this title. Everyone says different things. That's why I'm confused.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
My goal is to lower the temperatures rather than increase the processor's clock frequency. That's why I actually opened this title. Everyone says different things. That's why I'm confused.
I want to increase the processor performance a little more.

My aim is to use the processor with optimum performance without damaging or degrade it.

You never said anything about lowering temps. That's a completely different discussion.

What kind of temps are you getting now? From what I understand you have a pretty good cooler.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
You said My aim is to use the processor with optimum performance without damaging or degrade it.
Then use the method described by the Buildzoid video - Power limits PPT = 300, TDC = 230, EDC 230 with +200 Mhz and scalar at 4X.
But be aware - AMD are saying that any overclocking, including PBO, will void your warranty. But with that said, when I had a CPU failure they didn't ask. I think they can spot the damage you can get with an overzealous overclock. And that was not my CPUs problem.
If you don't go over 4.4GHz you shouldan't hve a problem. And as I said before - I use PBO most of the time with a 4.3 oir 4.4 OC for short term benchmarking.

Reactions: M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I honestly think your processor can do much better than that. My Bronze level 3700X is hitting 5010 MT scores and 508-510 ST scores in CB20 with PBO mildly tweaked.
FYI I did what you said and was able to produce some higher scores. With some fiddling around I could probably do better, but this is probably close to my CPUs limit. I got this chip right after launch, and what I understand is TSMC's production was able to produce higher yields later on. Maybe I'll wait till its gets really cold and do a speed run to see if I can break that 5000 barrier haha. Thanks again for the help!

dgo4VAh.png
S8ePNus.png
mlEXcDi.png
2m3WKzi.png

dgo4VAh.png
S8ePNus.png
mlEXcDi.png
2m3WKzi.png
The single core CB20 runs (519) suggest your 3800X is performing right up where it should be. I feel you should be able to see MT up over 5100, maybe even to 5200, but that will probably need better cooling. Something that also helps is how you make the CB20 run: for best consistency I do the run right after a reboot, the first thing I start is Cinebench then I'll open Task Manager, give Cinebench REALTIME priority, dismiss TM then start the MT run. It's more consistent and nothing can interfere with it while making the run. The only downside is you can't do anything else in the system until it's complete. Even screen updates and mouse movements stop so it feels like it crashed.

Other than that, cooling is probably what's limiting you now. A nice, big air cooler or AIO would get you the rest :)

Last edited:
Solution
I use PBO: PPT=300, TDC+230, EDC+230, +200MHz and Scalar 4X - per Buildzoid. It gives me a 7250 CB20 score on my3900X.
That's right in line with mine: PPT =300 or 330 or something I see BZ use lately 333.

The SCALAR x4 is a bit controversial; some say it holds voltage higher in the boosts and that can lead to early degradation of your CPU. Once Buildzoid got the idea he may have degraded his 3700X he ran some tests that showed the average voltage on his CPU under his PBO settings was slightly higher in light threaded boosting so his recommendation (then) was just leave it at x1.

I got those settings straight from Builzoids viedo that I linked to in a previous posting.
This is his video (I think) where he ran through scalar tests on his 3700X and arrived at 1X as what he felt 'safest'. Remember, he's an overclocker so even 'safe' means 'pushing it'.

But he's constantly testing and talking to people. He may have changed since then...i can't keep up as he rambles way too much. But there's a lot of gold in those rambles!

Reactions: DMAN999