[SOLVED] PC Artifacts. Can't figure out the cause. Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomWBush

Prominent
Jun 25, 2021
Hello,

I've had this artifact issue for over a month now, and it just suddenly started to happen. There would be random pixel dots or lines appearing in software and images, but my games run perfectly fine. And when I run websites like YouTube, my browser would crash.

I tried doing a fresh install of windows 10, DDU, rollback to previous driver version, swapping another GPU, motherboard, and installing one memory stick at a time. But the issue still persists. I can't even figure out what caused the issue. Please help!! Thanks!!

System specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming Plus
COOLER: Corsair H115i AIO
GPU: GIGABYTE VISION RTX 3070
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
PSU: SilverStone SX700 PSU
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB
Case: Corsair 4000X
Monitor: 2 x Acer CB2 Series CB272U

I've also tried:
MOBO: MSI B550I
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070

GPU is ~46 degree C idle

1.png
2.png
3.png

Last edited:
Ok so looking at the details and as u say the same artifacts occur with 1070 too, and i assume u have used ddu to uninstall and reinstall drivers before testing out 1070, u can rule out the gpu and mobo;
Now, the other thing and one of the simplest, change ur hdmi cable; also do a cmos reset by taking out the batter , wait 30 s and then reinsert. i think this simple trick will fix it. :)

TomWBush

Prominent
Jun 25, 2021
Ok so looking at the details and as u say the same artifacts occur with 1070 too, and i assume u have used ddu to uninstall and reinstall drivers before testing out 1070, u can rule out the gpu and mobo;
Now, the other thing and one of the simplest, change ur hdmi cable; also do a cmos reset by taking out the batter , wait 30 s and then reinsert. i think this simple trick will fix it. :)
Thank you for the reply. So I am using two monitors, and the artifacts occur on both of them. It also occur on both of my mobo, do you think I should still try resetting the cmos?

Thank you for the reply. So I have two monitors, and the artifacts occur on both of them. It also occur on both of my mobo, do you think I should still try resetting the cmos?
Yes, u shud... Now as u stated u have two monitors, i wud advice u to use one for now only for testing out the cause; also try using a different port on the GPU, try running using a DVI -D cable or dp cable.
Also pls list all the details as it makes it easier to help u out... :)

Another thing that came to my mind is try and make a bootable linux iso probably ubuntu or linux mint, and see if the artifacts are present there too... use steam in linux...

TomWBush

Prominent
Jun 25, 2021
Yes, u shud... Now as u stated u have two monitors, i wud advice u to use one for now only for testing out the cause; also try using a different port on the GPU, try running using a DVI -D cable or dp cable.
Also pls list all the details as it makes it easier to help u out... :)
Hello,

I just tried removing the mobo battery for 3 mins, but the issue persists unfortunately. I also tried using the hdmi port (I had been using dp ports), but no luck. I did try run a 32-bit win 10 in Virtual Box for a few minutes, and I think there was no issue at all.

Hello,

I just tried removing the mobo battery for 3 mins, but the issue persists unfortunately. I also tried using the hdmi port (I had been using dp ports), but no luck. I did try run a 32-bit win 10 in Virtual Box for a few minutes, and I think there was no issue at all.
ok, so it comes down to windows 10 issue... Also did u try using one monitor?
Is it possible for u to freshly install windows 10 or maybe upgrade to windows 11 which is still in preview phase although i wudnt advice using win 11 if its ur work pc as it may still be not stable as there are bugs...
Also, try using a single stick of ram... i want to rule out ram issue. No need to run memtest86; just try using single ram stick, if still an issue, then its definitely windows 10 and a fresh install may help...

TomWBush

Prominent
Jun 25, 2021
ok, so it comes down to windows 10 issue... Also did u try using one monitor?
Is it possible for u to freshly install windows 10 or maybe upgrade to windows 11 which is still in preview phase although i wudnt advice using win 11 if its ur work pc as it may still be not stable as there are bugs...
Also, try using a single stick of ram... i want to rule out ram issue. No need to run memtest86; just try using single ram stick, if still an issue, then its definitely windows 10 and a fresh install may help...
Thank you for your suggestions. As you previously suggested, I did all of the tests with one monitor.
I did tried using only one single stick of RAM for both sticks.
I tried fresh windows 10 install (formatted both of my drives) two days ago.
The issue is still there.

Try using Mozilla firefox and pls report back if the crashes still occur... Also u said u used msi b550i mobo, so do u happen to have a different zen processor from another build? if so i wud suggest u to try the gpu in that build... if not, make sure that none of the pins of the cpu got bent during installation, but dont check for it right away; Do a few more tests:
Heaven benchmark: Heaven benchmark | UNIGINE Benchmarks Run it...
Prime95: run it for just 15 minutes... with avx off

TomWBush

Prominent
Jun 25, 2021
Try using Mozilla firefox and pls report back if the crashes still occur... Also u said u used msi b550i mobo, so do u happen to have a different zen processor from another build? if so i wud suggest u to try the gpu in that build... if not, make sure that none of the pins of the cpu got bent during installation, but dont check for it right away; Do a few more tests:
Heaven benchmark: Heaven benchmark | UNIGINE Benchmarks Run it...
Prime95: run it for just 15 minutes... with avx off
Hello,

So about the browser crashing, it's actually firefox that's crashing. Chrome will throw an STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION error.
I also just finished running the 2 tests you mentioned. I posted the result below, and Prime95 didn't detect any error after 15 mins of running.

1_546.png
prime95.png
prime95result.png

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
For images posted, i suspect this is not a problem with gpu or memory.
Those artifacts basec on pictures are occuring on images loaded from disk, everything that is just solid color ( hence no bitmap is loaded) appears artifact free. That particular crash in chrome together with lockups in firefox and the fact that corruption persists over two different GPUs would support that.

I would suggest to look at fault in your SSDs.
I presume you use 970 EVO as a boot drive and 860 EVO is used for temporary files, installed apps and documents. If that is the case i'd start running diagnostic on 860 evo hooked to sata controller first.

TomWBush

Prominent
Jun 25, 2021
For images posted, i suspect this is not a problem with gpu or memory.
Those artifacts basec on pictures are occuring on images loaded from disk, everything that is just solid color ( hence no bitmap is loaded) appears artifact free. That particular crash in chrome together with lockups in firefox and the fact that corruption persists over two different GPUs would support that.

I would suggest to look at fault in your SSDs.
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I did run a NVMe test for my boot driver from the BIOS menu yesterday, and found no error. But I'm not sure how do I test my storage SATA SSD.

TomWBush

Prominent
Jun 25, 2021
Does anyone know an easy way to test the PSU? I've looked it up on google, it's all pretty complicated or requires extra physical tools. And I don't want to spent like $150 bucks to buy a new PSU and end up finding out my old PSU is not broken.

ok, so seems at least to me the issues u r facing is not hardware related... Now one thing to do is secure erase ur ssd and nvme drives... i.e, restore it to factory default... Also use HHDsentinnel to check the SMART status of ur drives, u can use samsung magician... Secure erase the drives using samsung magician... Now how to do that , i wud go with rather easy but long procedure...
1)Backup your data.
2)Install samsung magician; Secure erase ur secondary SSD
3)Reinstall windows on the secondary SSD, and while doing so format ur primary drive (But always be sure to backup data to USB)
4)Install Samsung magician on new install, now secure erase the "NOW" secondary drive...
5)Check for any firmware upgrades to both drives using Samsung Magician; If so upgrade it (but save ur backup)

TomWBush

Prominent
Jun 25, 2021
ok, so seems at least to me the issues u r facing is not hardware related... Now one thing to do is secure erase ur ssd and nvme drives... i.e, restore it to factory default... Also use HHDsentinnel to check the SMART status of ur drives, u can use samsung magician... Secure erase the drives using samsung magician... Now how to do that , i wud go with rather easy but long procedure...
1)Backup your data.
2)Install samsung magician; Secure erase ur secondary SSD
3)Reinstall windows on the secondary SSD, and while doing so format ur primary drive (But always be sure to backup data to USB)
4)Install Samsung magician on new install, now secure erase the "NOW" secondary drive...
5)Check for any firmware upgrades to both drives using Samsung Magician; If so upgrade it (but save ur backup)
Hello,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Unfortunately I have to wait a bit before I try to do a fresh os install again, since I have done it twice this month. It took me almost a whole day to reinstall all the things and configure my system, and it has delayed a lot of my works.

I looked into the power consumption of my GPU to see if my PSU is functioning properly. But I have little knowledge about it. So, my GPU is using 20-40 W on idle or when using browser. I'm not sure whether it's normal.
Capture_355.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS