Question PC auto turn's off and on

AMKAM III

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2015
Hi,

When turning on my PC, it suddenly turns off and then turns on automatically for a little longer than the first time, turns back off, then turns on again and shows American megatrends. My option now is to press F1, which takes me to bios. I have already setup my boot device, so I just press esc and then boot to my Windows normally.

I have a habit of turning off the PC's main power supply's switch after it is completely shut down. A little back story from a few months, or, if not a year ago,. While the PC was in the process of shutting down, I accidentally switched off the main power before the Windows shutdown. Since then, this whole thing has started.

Any kind of suggestion is helpful.

Solution
When your computer is turned off, the date and time are kept because the CMOS battery supplies the power. One symptom of the battery being low is that the date or time might be erroneous when turning the computer on.
Hi,

When turning on my PC, it suddenly turns off and then turns on automatically for a little longer than the first time, turns back off, then turns on again and shows American megatrends. My option now is to press F1, which takes me to bios. I have already setup my boot device, so I just press esc and then boot to my Windows normally.

I have a habit of turning off the PC's main power supply's switch after it is completely shut down. A little back story from a few months, or, if not a year ago,. While the PC was in the process of shutting down, I accidentally switched off the main power before the Windows shutdown. Since then, this whole thing has started.

Any kind of suggestion is helpful.
What happens if you shutdown and leave the psu mains on?

AMKAM III

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2015
What happens if you shutdown and leave the psu mains on?
Never tried that. This American megatrends and turning on and off only happens for the first time of the day and if i turn the pc back off and turn them back on it just goes to boot normally.
I have heard that the BIOS battery is the fault here, it basically can't hold charge anymore and to replace it.
I don't know.

AMKAM III

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2015
I suppose it could be the battery. One of the symptoms of a bad battery is that the date and time are not correct.
date and time are correct.
SIDE RANT
1-does BIOS date and time updates windows date and time when we are in windows?
2-is there a option to have a different date and time on BIOS and windows
3-when you mentioned incorrect date and time did you mean in windows or BIOS
o_O just so confused now.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
When your computer is turned off, the date and time are kept because the CMOS battery supplies the power. One symptom of the battery being low is that the date or time might be erroneous when turning the computer on.

Solution

AMKAM III

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2015
Updates

The CMOS batt was the fault, and I installed a new CMOS batt, and now it works.

Problem solved.

Before changing CMOS, I noticed that with the old CMOS, my bios time and date were wrong. DaleH, you were right.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input.

TRENDING THREADS