[SOLVED] PC black screen and instantly restarts playing certain games.

Oct 4, 2021
Hi Guys,

So the other day I noticed my PC had started loading games a little slower than it used to. I didn’t think anything of it until while I was playing a game my pc black screened and instantly restarted.

I have just tested to see if it was all games or my GPU but I can run low intensity games and much older games. However any high intensity games run for roughly 5 minutes then the restart happens.

My GPU is only a month old and I’ve had no issues at all. It’s temp is at max 60 degrees Celsius while gaming - roughly the same temp as the CPU.

GPU drivers are updated and the GPU is working in every other aspect, I’m praying it’s not that due to it being so new

My PSU is roughly 8 years old and due to games that draw more power from the pc causing it to crash, my thinking is the PSU may be the culprit?

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 2600X
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Corsair RM650 (minimum requirement for 3070)

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks guys.

Solution
Hi Guys,

So the other day I noticed my PC had started loading games a little slower than it used to. I didn’t think anything of it until while I was playing a game my pc black screened and instantly restarted.

I have just tested to see if it was all games or my GPU but I can run low intensity games and much older games. However any high intensity games run for roughly 5 minutes then the restart happens.

My GPU is only a month old and I’ve had no issues at all. It’s temp is at max 60 degrees Celsius while gaming - roughly the same temp as the CPU.

GPU drivers are updated and the GPU is working in every other aspect, I’m praying it’s not that due to it being so new

My PSU is roughly 8 years old and due to games that draw more...

bobalazs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
You're in the right topic, sounds like you're psu just doesn't cut it anymore. You do know that with time, the PSU loses efficiency, therefore for the same performance it needs more juice.

Hi Guys,

My PSU is roughly 8 years old and due to games that draw more power from the pc causing it to crash, my thinking is the PSU may be the culprit?

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 2600X
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Corsair RM650 (minimum requirement for 3070)

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks guys.
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Driver in Control Panel (skip if there is none)

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest win 10 update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Want to ask something to johnnyguru (maybe he's monitoring this thread). Have PSU manufacturers ever thought about adding a USB interface and/or LED status panel to PSUs, could show stuff like;

• Temp
  • # Faults detected in past 5 (n minutes) - if the machine rebooted a small light could even flash....
They wouldn't even need to put a panel, a simple usb connection and a driver to read the data.

lynx_125533_rev1.jpg

Oracle Server PSU for reference.

Ok, admins can now slap me for hijacking this thread......

Want to ask something to johnnyguru (maybe he's monitoring this thread). Have PSU manufacturers ever thought about adding a USB interface and/or LED status panel to PSUs, could show stuff like;

• Temp
  • # Faults detected in past 5 (n minutes) - if the machine rebooted a small light could even flash....
They wouldn't even need to put a panel, a simple usb connection and a driver to read the data.

lynx_125533_rev1.jpg

Oracle Server PSU for reference.

Ok, admins can now slap me for hijacking this thread......

They have and it's available on some more high end models.

Reactions: AntonyLovric