Question PC Boot loop, won’t start?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 28, 2019
Hello. I have been playing the new call of duty and my PC was crashing.

I tried to boot it today and it keeps restarting on the boot. I’ve tried so much and I can’t get it to work. I’d love to avoid replacing all my components.

I have an i7 4790k
R9 390
16gb ram
Evga 750w 80+ gold psu

Any advice is appreciated I really can’t figure it out..

Oct 28, 2019
page 81
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z97x-gaming5_e.pdf

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-Z97X-Gaming-5-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

F7
5.60 MB
2015/09/18
is the one you need

i would do the power supply test first before attempting this as if the computer powers off it could brick the system further only do this as a last resort
Hi!
i plugged my PSU into my brothers pc and it works fine...
So does that mean it’s the processor or motherboard?
Is there a chance my SSD is corrupted or something and it’s causing all these issues? Or is that unlikely because of how far it sometimes manages to load?

thanks!

Hi!
i plugged my PSU into my brothers pc and it works fine...
So does that mean it’s the processor or motherboard?
Is there a chance my SSD is corrupted or something and it’s causing all these issues? Or is that unlikely because of how far it sometimes manages to load?

thanks!

ok that just means its either a bad board or cpu a this point i doubt its a harddrive issue we discconnected that and it still did it lol.

have you replaced the battery in the motherboard ? the coin battery can sometimes run dry after a few years i regularly change mine every 2 years.

i think its name is CR2032 youd have to look at the battery in your board and buy that specific type

its unlikely but worth a shot that way we can rule out we tried everything on the board lol.

this is instructions from the gigabyte manual

16) BAT (Battery) The battery provides power to keep the values (such as BIOS configurations, date, and time information) in the CMOS when the computer is turned off. Replace the battery when the battery voltage drops to a low level, or the CMOS values may not be accurate or may be lost. You may clear the CMOS values by removing the battery: 1. Turn off your computer and unplug the power cord. 2. Gently remove the battery from the battery holder and wait for one minute. (Or use ametal object like a screwdriver to touch the positive and negative terminals of the battery holder, making them short for 5 seconds.) 3. Replace the battery. 4. Plug in the power cord and restart your computer. • Always turn off your computer and unplug the power cord before replacing the battery. • Replace the battery with an equivalent one. Danger of explosion if the battery is replaced with an incorrect model. • Contact the place of purchase or local dealer if you are not able to replace the battery by yourself or uncertain about the battery model. • When installing the battery, note the orientation of the positive side (+) and the negative side (-) of the battery (the positive side should face up). • Used batteries must be handled in accordance with local environmental regulations.

another idea before you do that is try this ive seen this floating on some models of gigabyte having a recover bios incase of corruption

BIOS restore by holding power and reset for 10 seconds with the computer turned off but connected to power.

its not said in the manual but i dont think it would hurt to try this as im probly gonna say its a dead board at this point as gigabyte has a history of boot loops of all sorts of models on the web

Oct 28, 2019
ok that just means its either a bad board or cpu a this point i doubt its a harddrive issue we discconnected that and it still did it lol.

have you replaced the battery in the motherboard ? the coin battery can sometimes run dry after a few years i regularly change mine every 2 years.

i think its name is CR2032 youd have to look at the battery in your board and buy that specific type

its unlikely but worth a shot that way we can rule out we tried everything on the board lol.

this is instructions from the gigabyte manual

16) BAT (Battery) The battery provides power to keep the values (such as BIOS configurations, date, and time information) in the CMOS when the computer is turned off. Replace the battery when the battery voltage drops to a low level, or the CMOS values may not be accurate or may be lost. You may clear the CMOS values by removing the battery: 1. Turn off your computer and unplug the power cord. 2. Gently remove the battery from the battery holder and wait for one minute. (Or use ametal object like a screwdriver to touch the positive and negative terminals of the battery holder, making them short for 5 seconds.) 3. Replace the battery. 4. Plug in the power cord and restart your computer. • Always turn off your computer and unplug the power cord before replacing the battery. • Replace the battery with an equivalent one. Danger of explosion if the battery is replaced with an incorrect model. • Contact the place of purchase or local dealer if you are not able to replace the battery by yourself or uncertain about the battery model. • When installing the battery, note the orientation of the positive side (+) and the negative side (-) of the battery (the positive side should face up). • Used batteries must be handled in accordance with local environmental regulations.

another idea before you do that is try this ive seen this floating on some models of gigabyte having a recover bios incase of corruption

BIOS restore by holding power and reset for 10 seconds with the computer turned off but connected to power.

its not said in the manual but i dont think it would hurt to try this as im probly gonna say its a dead board at this point as gigabyte has a history of boot loops of all sorts of models on the web
I already tried taking it out and putting it back in. It didn’t fix anything.
I’ve had the odd time where I’ve got onto bios/ slightly further etc so I don’t feel it is dead but I could give it a try.

I also just tested a new PSU and had the same issue so it’s definitely not that!

TRENDING THREADS