Feb 6, 2023
Specs first off

CPU: Ryzen 3200G
MB: MSI B40M PRO-M2 V2
GPU: Ryzen 3200G
PSU: ThermalTake TR2 430W
SSD: PNY CS900 500Gb , Boot drive
HDD: WD Green 1 TB
RAM: Teamgroup triforce DDr4 3200 MHz (2x8gb)

I was playing Satisfactory and when I hit Exit Game my pc BSOD and I don't remember what the error bsod reported was. the pc will not boot or post, the ez debug is a solid white light at cpu and no other debug light is on but all the fans are running correctly. I thought the cpu died and had another computer using a b450m so I put my 3200g in that system to test and it also did not boot or post. figuring that is the problem I bought a 4600G to put in my system after checking what my Motherboard was compatible with. I got the 4600g today and put it in my b450m and it is still not booting or posting. I think I need to update the bios. I am however worried considering how this started that maybe it wasn't the cpu just randomly dying that it was in fact maybe my mobo or psu dying and I am scared to put anything else into the pc to get into the bios and get it updated. I do not want to fry 3 cpus and have no PCs when i have no extra money to get more parts. Am i over thinking or am i missing something here?

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: ThermalTake TR2 430W

How old? Original to build? History of heavy gaming use?

The recommended wattage (PSU) for the Ryzen GPU is 450 watts with some variations.

If the PSU is beginning to falter and fail at times of peak demand then any additional power demand introduced by the 4600 G may have pushed the limits a bit too far.

FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Not with the intent that you need to immediately purchase a new PSU.

Just to get some sense of what may be happening and what else to look for.

Apply some of the calculators. If a component presents a range of wattages use the high end value.

PSU a likely suspect.

Reactions: Masane
Feb 6, 2023
I did not consider the PSU so you may be right, the PSU is from a much older build. about 10 years old so it could be the problem. 450 watts from an APU?? I do not understand what your talking about regarding the 4600g wattage, from my own tests and several examples of other tests I have never seen an amd apu go over 100 watts. I have seen intel igpus going over 200 watts but what variations are you talking about?

Ralston18

Titan
Remember that the PSU supports the entire host system by providing three voltages (3.3., 5, and 12) to all of the various system components.

Problems with any of those voltages will disrupt the system. And the total wattage demand has been increasing: LEDs, more fans, coolers, etc. Even if Individually each is low wattage it all still adds up.....

Plus consider that any changes in power demand (a peak) will also cause a problem if the PSU is unable to respond and fulfill that wattage demand. A quality brand 750 watt PSU may be much more stable and out perform a low end 1000 watt PSU.

If game play demands more wattage and the PSU fails to deliver then problems.

Rough analogy being the house lights dimming when the refrigerator starts up. PC's being much more sensitive to internal power variations.

Another factor is that PSU output wattages are often established under ideal circumstances and/or based on "design". That does not mean that the PSU can really achieve or sustain that wattage. Perhaps initially but over time as components wear and degrade then providing design power is not as achievable.

Also, as GPUs have become more power hungry it seems to have become more difficult to find the working wattage as a "up front" value. I see things like thermal demand, recommended PSU, etc. Explicit wattage values not easily discovered sometimes. Little or no mention of what wattage is needed for heavy game play that impacts the entire system much less just the GPU.

Lastly, the power demands of many components are likewise established under ideal circumstances that most likely do not truly represent real world use. The stated wattage requirement likely being on the conservative / low side. If a component lists a range of wattages, the highest value should be used when totaling wattages. [There are a number of calculators available for sizing a PSU.]

A 10 year old PSU with a history of heavy use via gaming, video editing, or even bit mining is a suspect.

You can use a multi-meter to do some testing. Not a full test because the PSU is not under load.

However, any voltages out of tolerance are a cause for concern.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

As stated in the PSU review:

"Your PC's power supply (aka PSU) plays a significant role in determining your system's reliability, depending on its performance. "

guilhermeol

Reputable
Jun 21, 2019
I suspect your ram, test them one at time to se if the problem is solved, then you could spot if any of them are bad.
If both gives the problem, test a different ssd or hd if you can.
Also check if the temps on the processor are ok.