[SOLVED] PC Build not posting - brand new motherboard. ASUS Prime Z390-A

Oct 18, 2021
Hi, I'm making a post for an issue on a PC build for a friend.

SPECS:

MBR: ASUS Prime Z390-A
CPU: i7 8700k
RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair DDR4 3200mhz
PSU: 700w EVGA Gold Modular PSU
GPU: MSI GTX 1070
(If you need any more information let me know)

Essentially I have everything put together and am not getting any post. The computer will power on (the MB lights arent doing any of the startup checks on the side) the fans will all spin for a second and then nothing will happen. The fans do turn off and then nothing happens. The computer still appears to be on but everything stopped and there is no post.
I own a PSU tester and its passing the voltage test so I'm somewhat certain its not the power supply. What was interesting is that when I put the GPU in and hooked it up - the fans would run at 100 percent even after the case fans turned off. But the issue still prevails even with the GPU disconnected and removed. The computer never turns itself off and I have to hard power it down.

Another thing just out of curiosity - I started the computer with no RAM installed and it still did this same sequence of no posting but staying on. I'm wondering if its a MBR issue related to the RAM slots? I'd hope not but anyone else have any advice or things to try?

I've
-reseated the CPU
-reseated the RAM
-reseated all the PSU connections to the board
-tested the PSU with a PSU tester
-attempted pulling out the GPU and starting without it.

Last edited:
Solution

SPECS:

CPU: i7 6700k

Essentially I have everything put together and am not getting any post. The computer will power on (the MB lights arent doing any of the startup checks on the side) the fans will all spin for a second and then nothing will happen. The fans do turn off and then nothing happens. The computer still appears to be on but everything stopped and there is no post.
I own a PSU tester and its passing the voltage test so I'm somewhat certain its not the power supply. What was interesting is that when I put...

kanewolf

Titan

SPECS:

CPU: i7 6700k

I own a PSU tester and its passing the voltage test so I'm somewhat certain its not the power supply. What was interesting is that when I put the GPU in and hooked it up - the fans would run at 100 percent even after the case fans turned off. But the issue still prevails even with the GPU disconnected and removed. The computer never turns itself off and I have to hard power it down.

Another thing just out of curiosity - I started the computer with no RAM installed and it still did this same sequence of no posting but staying on. I'm wondering if its a MBR issue related to the RAM slots? I'd hope not but anyone else have any advice or things to try?

I've
-reseated the CPU
-reseated the RAM
-reseated all the PSU connections to the board
-tested the PSU with a PSU tester
-attempted pulling out the GPU and starting without it.
A Z390 is not compatible with a 6700K -- It is compatible with 8xxx and 9xxx series CPUs. -- https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-Z390-A/HelpDesk_CPU/
You have the wrong CPU/motherboard combo.

Reactions: DoomedDanny
Solution