[SOLVED] PC can't connect to internet through wall socket

icy_fox

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017
Hey there, I recently changed my home networking set up (set the ISP provided modem to bridge, with their help, so my router, a TP-Link WR940N handles DHCP). After the upgrade, I have trouble connecting some PCs (some work fine) to the Internet via the wall sockets in other rooms. The devices work fine when connected directly to the modem (so it shouldn't be a network card issue), and some devices work just fine on the wall sockets as well, so I'm not really sure what the problem could be. After fiddling around a little, I did notice an interesting thing. Once I plug the ethernet cable into my PC (with the other end in the wall socket), the status in windows says Identifying..., and my PC's IP is properly set like on the picture below (meaning it probably reached the router to get an address via DHCP).
Screenshot-2021-07-28-222923.png

However, the internet still doesn't connect and after some time (usually 5-10s), the status changes to Unidentified Network - No Internet
Screenshot-2021-07-28-222729.png

And the IP changes to something really weird
Screenshot-2021-07-28-223248.png

I'm completely clueless as to what the problem could be, so any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Solution
Hey there, I recently changed my home networking set up (set the ISP provided modem to bridge, with their help, so my router, a TP-Link WR940N handles DHCP). After the upgrade, I have trouble connecting some PCs (some work fine) to the Internet via the wall sockets in other rooms. The devices work fine when connected directly to the modem (so it shouldn't be a network card issue), and some devices work just fine on the wall sockets as well, so I'm not really sure what the problem could be. After fiddling around a little, I did notice an interesting thing. Once I plug the ethernet cable into my PC (with the other end in the wall socket), the status in windows says Identifying..., and my PC's IP is properly set like on the picture...

kanewolf

Titan
Hey there, I recently changed my home networking set up (set the ISP provided modem to bridge, with their help, so my router, a TP-Link WR940N handles DHCP). After the upgrade, I have trouble connecting some PCs (some work fine) to the Internet via the wall sockets in other rooms. The devices work fine when connected directly to the modem (so it shouldn't be a network card issue), and some devices work just fine on the wall sockets as well, so I'm not really sure what the problem could be. After fiddling around a little, I did notice an interesting thing. Once I plug the ethernet cable into my PC (with the other end in the wall socket), the status in windows says Identifying..., and my PC's IP is properly set like on the picture below (meaning it probably reached the router to get an address via DHCP).
Screenshot-2021-07-28-222923.png

However, the internet still doesn't connect and after some time (usually 5-10s), the status changes to Unidentified Network - No Internet
Screenshot-2021-07-28-222729.png

And the IP changes to something really weird
Screenshot-2021-07-28-223248.png

I'm completely clueless as to what the problem could be, so any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
First thought is that the quality of the cable in the wall is poor and your PC can't figure out what speed to connect. Your WR940N is only 100Mbit ethernet, so try setting your PC to 100 FULL DUPLEX in the properties of your ethernet adapter.

Solution

icy_fox

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017
First thought is that the quality of the cable in the wall is poor and your PC can't figure out what speed to connect. Your WR940N is only 100Mbit ethernet, so try setting your PC to 100 FULL DUPLEX in the properties of your ethernet adapter.
Thanks for the idea, but it unfortunately doesn't work. However, scrolling through my router logs, I did find something interesting.
Screenshot-2021-07-28-232751.png

Looking from the bottom up (starting at index 197), column 197 and 198 are when the PC is connected through the wall socket. The top 4 are when it's connected directly to the modem. Could that be some sort of indicator?