Question PC compatibility with new RTX4080?

Iam74Gibson

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
I have a gaming PC I built a while back.. considering one of the new RTX4070 or RTX4080 when they come out. Would like to know if my PC will be a bottleneck ... it is Watercooled i7-8700k, ASUS ROG z370 chipset, 32 GB 2644 ram. 750 watt power supply. Just retired and can't afford a total rebuild. ... Currently have a Zotac 1080i Amp Extreme 11gb. Will it be overkill to buy one of the new GPU's? Will performance be reduced in any way?

Thanks

Last edited:

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Currently you’ll lose about 3% if you would put a 3090 in a PCIE 3.0 socket. With 4090 I suspect it will be more, but nothing wild. I suspect 5-10% tops, but we will see. TPU will probably do another bandwidth test with it and compare it.

Considering the CPU power itself and not only the PCI socket that is a bit outdated, I would say yes. Even at 4K it would lose performance, could be 10%, but possibly as much as 30%.

Suffice to say, pairing a brand new and expensive GPU with a platform from 2017/2018 is a bit unbalanced, so a new system is recommended at that point.

Reactions: Iam74Gibson

Iam74Gibson

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Currently you’ll lose about 3% if you would put a 3090 in a PCIE 3.0 socket. With 4090 I suspect it will be more, but nothing wild. I suspect 5-10% tops, but we will see. TPU will probably do another bandwidth test with it and compare it.

Considering the CPU power itself and not only the PCI socket that is a bit outdated, I would say yes. Even at 4K it would lose performance, could be 10%, but possibly as much as 30%.

Suffice to say, pairing a brand new and expensive GPU with a platform from 2017/2018 is a bit unbalanced, so a new system is recommended at that point.

I will not be able to afford a 4090 like you mention above. I have seen projected benchmarks that show the 4070 about equivalent to the 3090. I will most likely go with a 4080, unless they are WAY overpriced. One benchmark shows, running Cyberpunk, the 4080 is a 23% improvement over a 3090. So should be in the "sweet spot" for me.

I will wait and try the card first later this year, I play games, but not a serious gamer, mostly just something to do in my retirement. It may be just fine for me as it is, if not, I will be looking for black Friday deals on PC Parts :) ... but consider I am going from a 1080 ti to something 23% better than a 3090, I think I will be thrilled . big jump

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited:

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
I will not be able to afford a 4090 like you mention above. I have seen projected benchmarks that show the 4070 about equivalent to the 3090. I will most likely go with a 4080, unless they are WAY overpriced. One benchmark shows, running Cyberpunk, the 4080 is a 23% improvement over a 3090. So should be in the "sweet spot" for me.

Thanks for the feedback
I would wait for final numbers if I were you and not base any decision on rumors. There’s no real reviews with the new GPUs yet. Suffice to say, 4080 will be too much for a 8700K, especially if you use a lower resolution than 4K.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
I will wait and try the card first later this year, I play games, but not a serious gamer, mostly just something to do in my retirement. It may be just fine for me as it is, if not, I will be looking for black Friday deals on PC Parts :)
generally i recommend people to only upgrade if they really need it. So if you really need it, you can basically upgrade the whole system then, or stay with the current one, it really depends.

I have a gaming PC I built a while back.. considering one of the new RTX3070 or RTX3080 when they come out. Would like to know if my PC will be a bottleneck ... it is Watercooled i7-8700k, ASUS ROG z370 chipset, 32 GB 2644 ram. 750 watt power supply. Just retired and can't afford a total rebuild. ... Currently have a Zotac 1080i Amp Extreme 11gb. Will it be overkill to buy one of the new GPU's? Will performance be reduced in any way?

Thanks
You start out asking about a 4080 then you mention a 3070 or 3080.
What is the question?

Iam74Gibson

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006

I will wait and try the card first later this year, I play games, but not a serious gamer, mostly just something to do in my retirement. It may be just fine for me as it is, if not, I will be looking for black Friday deals on PC Parts :)

Thanks for the feedback
What is the question?

What is the question?
MyBad, meant to say new RTX4070 and RTX4080, been looking at so many cards, the numbers haven't sunk in yet , I hve edited the beginning to reflect , thanks

Last edited:

Iam74Gibson

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
silly as it sounds you could get enough from your used parts mobo ram an cpu that you could afford a new platform selling your current parts, i5 12400 b series mobo and ddr4 3200-3600 ram @16gb plus your card will be a great option for you.

Well, I put together a wish list, and it won't cost as much as I thought... I can get an ASUS z690 Mobo, a i5-12600k, and Kingston Fury Beast 32gb 4800 DDR5 for about $650ish... I will have to check on what my power supply is, but I know it was a little overkill at the time, so it may be Ok. BTW, Don't know if it matters, but this is a mATX box... never had any cooling issues and have overclocked a bit just to test.

Since the GPU's won't be out until the fall, I may consider a rebuild before... where could I sell my current setup? I will have MOBO, RAM, CPU all intact. Ebay Maybe? Thanks

Well, I put together a wish list, and it won't cost as much as I thought... I can get an ASUS z690 Mobo, a i5-12600k, and Kingston Fury Beast 32gb 4800 DDR5 for about $650ish... I will have to check on what my power supply is, but I know it was a little overkill at the time, so it may be Ok. BTW, Don't know if it matters, but this is a mATX box... never had any cooling issues and have overclocked a bit just to test.

Since the GPU's won't be out until the fall, I may consider a rebuild before... where could I sell my current setup? I will have MOBO, RAM, CPU all intact. Ebay Maybe? Thanks
ebay yes i7s keep their value quite well a do z series motherboards

USAFRet

Titan
Will it be overkill to buy one of the new GPU's? Will performance be reduced in any way?
Putting in a newer, better GPU will not "reduce" performance.

Depending on use and the specifics of the rest of the system, it may not allow things to reach the full capabilities of this new uber GPU.
But guess what....regarding a RTX 4XXX....you are in the same place as everyone else on the planet.

DSzymborski

Titan
To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about unreleased products. See how they fare in testing when they come out and with different CPUs and only then evaluate what best meets your needs.

Definitely check on the exact PSU. There are very good 750W, mediocre 750W, and 750W PSUs so poorly made that I'd barely trust them to power a box of graham crackers.

Iam74Gibson

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about unreleased products. See how they fare in testing when they come out and with different CPUs and only then evaluate what best meets your needs.

Definitely check on the exact PSU. There are very good 750W, mediocre 750W, and 750W PSUs so poorly made that I'd barely trust them to power a box of graham crackers.

Ok, I checked, and I think this power supply will be good enough... I had said 750 watt, I have built about 3-4 PC's and my memory is corrupt (PC joke) what I have in "this" pc is
EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 Power Supply, 80+ PLATINUM 1200W

Iam74Gibson

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Given the unrealistic prices of the 3000 series due to mining, covid or whatever. these are not worth it to me to go from my 1080 ti. so if I am going to spend that kind of money, I want a dramatic jump. So yeah, If I can get a RTX 4080 for around $800-900 (or 4070 if they are still crazy expensive) I will wait and see.. but I am not going to pay $1000 for a 3080 ti... when these new ones are on the horizon.. in a year or two I would be hating myself that I did not wait.