Question PC completely shutdown on me while gaming... big chance of PSU/MOBO failure?

Aug 14, 2024
hey guys, 1st time posting here and am quite in some distress rn from what happened sunday night... i'll keep it super short;

got a brand new pc prebuilt, all under warranty, in february this year. everything looked fine, used it heavily for these past couple of months without any issues, ran absolutely perfectly.

last sunday, i was playing CoD and it just shutdown basically instantly on me, mid-game, as if a power cut happened yknow, and would not turn on for the life of it.

i press the power button (which usually has a blue light next to it indicating either ssd usage or general power draw i assume??) but absolutely no sign of life... only the RGB on the ram sticks lights up, no fans spin, no posting, 0. the little light next to the power button also didnt light up, it usually instantly does and the pc boots within 6-7 seconds after.

no idea what happened, ive since left it at a professional repair service since i dont have any spare parts at my place so they'd be able to check it out... what i want to ask is, what could've happened? anyone have any ideas?

one more very important thing to note: i DID smell a burning smell (cant really explain it in detail, its weird, but oddly resembles plastic melting or smthn but not quite? very specific smell) a couple of days, maybe 2 weeks prior to this happening, most likely coming from inside the case, not sure where exactly but since the case was near me while gaming i did feel the smell, the case panel was always open slightly.

im just waiting now on what the repairmen say happened but any clues would be of great help, ty guys :*)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Well the burning smell should of stoped with you turning off the PC and returning it for warranty.

A burning smell is never OK or normal.
Something was either melting or burning out that probably (hopefully) tripped the power supply safety before to much damage was done.

Aug 14, 2024
Well the burning smell should of stoped with you turning off the PC and returning it for warranty.

A burning smell is never OK or normal.
Something was either melting or burning out that probably (hopefully) tripped the power supply safety before to much damage was done.
the burning smell stops when the pc is turned off obv, but that is just what ive noticed at that time whenever i was gaming, atleast under heavy load

and that one night, when it happened, pc wouldnt turn on at all, but i really do hope the cpu gpu and ram are still okay :(

everything is under warranty, already sent the pc over to a professional

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
the burning smell stops when the pc is turned off obv, but that is just what ive noticed at that time whenever i was gaming, atleast under heavy load

and that one night, when it happened, pc wouldnt turn on at all, but i really do hope the cpu gpu and ram are still okay :(

everything is under warranty, already sent the pc over to a professional
I think you missed the point.
When you first had the burning smell you should of turned off the PC and returned it for warranty, not keep using it.

For what damage was done it could be anything from just a tripped safety on the PSU along with whatever was causing the smell to a complete failure no way of telling.

Aug 14, 2024
I think you missed the point.
When you first had the burning smell you should of turned off the PC and returned it for warranty, not keep using it.

For what damage was done it could be anything from just a tripped safety on the PSU along with whatever was causing the smell to a complete failure no way of telling.
oh sorry, my bad, now i get what youre saying..

yes, i should've done that and you are absolutely correct when you state that, it seems fairly logical and i was thinking of doing so but in the end sort of "ignored it", but the warranty still stands no matter what since the laws in my country are whack, so im covered

so you're saying i should keep fingers crossed and pray it was just the psu saving everything from exploding? i hope that is the case but cant know for now :/

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
oh sorry, my bad, now i get what youre saying..

yes, i should've done that and you are absolutely correct when you state that, it seems fairly logical and i was thinking of doing so but in the end sort of "ignored it", but the warranty still stands no matter what since the laws in my country are whack, so im covered

so you're saying i should keep fingers crossed and pray it was just the psu saving everything from exploding? i hope that is the case but cant know for now :/
If you warranty covers everything then it doesn't matter they got to fix it.

Absolutely no way to just assume what was damaged over the internet.

Aug 14, 2024
If you warranty covers everything then it doesn't matter they got to fix it.
nicee, hopefully it CAN be fixed without having to replace the whole machine, maybe only if the psu died, and i say this because it served me really well the pc was amazing :/

Aug 14, 2024
damn the psu really is trash.. that might just be the culprit