Question PC Continuously Restarting when XMPI or XMPII are turned on

DarkCourier

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
My Build:

CPU: Intel i9-10850k 3.6GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengance LPX DD4 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz
GPU: XFX Speedster MERC 319 AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming Z490- WiFi 6, LGA 1200 (Intel 10th Gen) ATX Gaming Motherboard

I have tried both XMP profiles, I have also tried manually changing the DRAM Frequency to 3200MHz and the voltage to 1.35v and still doesnt work. Does anyone have any ideas what Im doing wrong?

DarkCourier

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
May not be anything you are doing. Is this RAM on the compatibility index for the mobo?

I would try to set it at 2999 or 3000. I have found that my 11th gen wants to do a BCLK OC when at 3000.

You can find JEDEC and XMP values and timings with CPU-Z.
To be honest I didnt know MOBO had a compatibility index for RAM. I can google and see if it is! Interesting though I can try that.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
To be honest I didnt know MOBO had a compatibility index for RAM. I can google and see if it is! Interesting though I can try that.

Go to your motherboard manufacturer site under support and there will be a memory QVL. The issue is that most of the time this is stuff from around when the board was released and no so much do the mans. update this list as time goes on. In spite of that, the model numbers/lines tend to stay about the same as to give you a decent idea what will work and won't. I think it actually stands for Qualified Vendor List meaning they actually tested it and are giving the nod it should work.

Reactions: DarkCourier

DarkCourier

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
Go to your motherboard manufacturer site under support and there will be a memory QVL. The issue is that most of the time this is stuff from around when the board was released and no so much do the mans. update this list as time goes on. In spite of that, the model numbers/lines tend to stay about the same as to give you a decent idea what will work and won't. I think it actually stands for Qualified Vendor List meaning they actually tested it and are giving the nod it should work.
Thank you! The RAM I have is on listed as a supported RAM on ASUS' website. I downloaded CPU-Z and I have my settings. I noticed with the memory each stick has an XMP setting of 1600MHz, which I understand two sticks would equal 3200MHz. This is a dumb question, but in my BIOS should I be setting the DRAM frequency to 1600MHz not 3200? Sorry, I ma not very familiar with this.

My Build:

CPU: Intel i9-10850k 3.6GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengance LPX DD4 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz
GPU: XFX Speedster MERC 319 AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming Z490- WiFi 6, LGA 1200 (Intel 10th Gen) ATX Gaming Motherboard

I have tried both XMP profiles, I have also tried manually changing the DRAM Frequency to 3200MHz and the voltage to 1.35v and still doesnt work. Does anyone have any ideas what Im doing wrong?
Use just one stick of ram fitted in the proper slot and see what the results are.

Then run the same test with the other stick of ram.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thank you! The RAM I have is on listed as a supported RAM on ASUS' website. I downloaded CPU-Z and I have my settings. I noticed with the memory each stick has an XMP setting of 1600MHz, which I understand two sticks would equal 3200MHz. This is a dumb question, but in my BIOS should I be setting the DRAM frequency to 1600MHz not 3200? Sorry, I ma not very familiar with this.

I have never run across a requirement to run the 'single' data rate in BIOS in relation to RAM. I have seen it reported that way in various places such as Task Manager or whatnot.

DarkCourier

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
May not be anything you are doing. Is this RAM on the compatibility index for the mobo?

I would try to set it at 2999 or 3000. I have found that my 11th gen wants to do a BCLK OC when at 3000.

You can find JEDEC and XMP values and timings with CPU-Z.
Hey I updated my BIOS and tried this and it seems to be working now! Thank you so much!