Question PC crashed and won't boot up - - - - DRAM LED is lit up on the motherboard with both RAMs properly seated ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 21, 2022
Hello everyone. Two months ago, I've successfuly completed a new gaming PC build with following components:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming Wifi II
CPU: Ryzen 5700 X
RAM: Corsair 32GB KIT DDR4 3600MHz CL16 Vengeance RGB RT

EDIT - Remaining PC specs:
PSU: Corsair RM850x
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 TI GAMING OC 8G
Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memories:
Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB
Seagate Barracuda laptop 2TB, 2.5"

About a month ago, my PC froze while playing a game and I had to restart it using the reset button. The PC repeatedly failed to boot with DRAM led lit up on the motherboard. I've reseated both my rams and the PC booted successfully. However, two days ago (2 months after initial contruction), the PC froze again during gameplay, once again failing to boot up with DRAM led light lit. Reseating the RAMs did not help this time. I tried to boot the PC with only one RAM. The boot failed with one of the RAMs, but was successful with the other. This lead me to an obvious conclusion - one of the RAM sticks is faulty - so I exchanged my RAMs for new ones.

Unfortunately, the new RAMs did not fix the issue. When I inserted both the RAMs into the PC, it booted successfully, but after I tried to play a game, the PC almost immediately froze and did not boot up again with the DRAM led lit up. Reseating RAMs did not help, only removing one of them and booting the PC with just 1 RAM, which was successful. Both the RAM sticks seem to be functional for now...

In all the cases, the RAMs were seated into the motherboard according to the recommendation written in manual.

Currently, I am at a loss and quite desperated as I have no idea what could be the issue. It is unlikely the RAMs are faulty again. At the moment, the PC works, but something is obviously wrong and it can stop working any time. Do you have any idea what could be the issue?

Also, during my initial build two months again, I faced issues with the CPU, where the PC failed to boot with CPU led lit up. Back then, I exchanged both the CPU and motherboard for different ones and the system booted afterwards. So all these parts were already exchanged once.

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
Oh yes and have you updated the bios to the latest version? There are numerous updates for DRAM compatibility, AGESA and stability the most recent being April 2022. Duh should've been the first thing I thought of. Since there haven't been any more since maybe they think they sorted it.

Aug 21, 2022
Oh yes and have you updated the bios to the latest version? There are numerous updates for DRAM compatibility, AGESA and stability the most recent being April 2022. Duh should've been the first thing I thought of. Since there haven't been any more since maybe they think they sorted it.

Yes, I have Version 2803, which is the latest version of the BIOS according to the support page of the motherboard. In fact, I was unable to install operating system until I updated bios to the latest version.

For now, I've kept the two corsair RAM sticks in the A1 and A2 slots and so far the PC ran fine. I am still unable to get the PC to boot when I place RAM in the B2 slot, so it really seems like motherboard issue. For now, I'll leave it as is since I am not experiencing any issues and see whether the freeze problem occurs again or not (hopefully not).

DavidM012

Distinguished
You can still try to loosen the CAS timing to 18 to see if that stabilizes things also don't understand why you couldn't simply send the dimms back and say bought in error and search for something more compatible, or maybe even just try a different model of ryzen cpu with this mem which will change the qvl parameters so there's lots of options although none of them instant fixes.

Pc hardware is pretty robust off the shelf and it can't be that every mobo you try is faulty if the memory is technically not tested and proven compatible so switching it out again won't change anything.

Also you could try to reset the BIOS defaults since something might've happened in the 2 months, an error or something, who knows, since it seemed to be working for a month, can't really explain that apart from electronics being a bit weird but nothing has changed since the discussion started so, CAS tweaks, return the memory, or try something different entirely seem to be the choices.

Well what's the point in running a ryzen 5000 in single channel memory mode and not overclocking? You might get the similar performance anyway from another zen cpu which doesn't have the bug with this memory.