Question PC crashes, cmos reset, boot failure, what have you

Oct 20, 2024
Hello, I'm looking for help for... one or more issues...
I'm a bit overwhelmed... this isn't the only problem I'm facing. Here I'll stick to the PC related ones.
So...

Now I have a PC that can do 3 things: enter the BIOS, or boot Windows 10 and then crash before login, or open up Windows Recovery Options. I have yet to look further into these options as they might be useful.

Here some specs:
Intel Core i7-9700k
GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi
WD Black SN750 NVMe M.2 SSD
WD Black 2TB HDD
MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8G
2× HyperX Predator 8GB

What happened:
01. This month my PC crashed a lot (like 10~12 times) when gaming, so I ordered a new GPU (arrives next week) and restrained myself from playing GPU intensive games.
02. Yesterday I used my PC mostly for web browsing and note taking, also played some music, but around 19:00 I launched a game that I thought to be on the lighter side... PC crashed.
03. Usually, when my PC crashed, it would just restart... This time it didn't. I powered it manually and BIOS came up with a message about a "cmos reset"... I was puzzled.
04. Then I just checked the video output, the boot order, than save and exit. BIOS came up again.
05. I tried the same thing again to no avail.
06. I powered it off manually.
07. BIOS didn't came up, but GPU dies just after the AORUS logo.
08. Tried again. GPU dies again.
09. This GPU already had me scratching my head in the past. My usual solution was to change the cmos battery. This worked trice this year. Now it doesn't.
10. I turned off PC and PSU and I removed the GPU from the mobo in order to use the integrated graphics of the CPU.
11. I turned the PC on, I got to see Windows 10 login screen, typed the password but then PC crashed.
12. Got into BIOS again, without pressing any key, and I discovered that boot order changed...
13. After a couple more attempts, now BIOS doesn't detect the SSD where I installed Windows.
14. There's an option to load BIOS profiles, so I loaded the "last known good".
15. After that, PC reached again the login screen but crashes again, before I can type anything.
16. I don't remember the exact steps, but then I saw the screen with Windows Recovery Options. Here the buttons are "See advanced repair options" and "Restart my PC".
17. I don't remeber when, but I also got a "boot failure" once.
18. Honestly, I don't know what to do. I don't have a backup but there are no super important files on the SSD.

Sorry for the wall of text, and thank you to anyone willing to help.

TRENDING THREADS