Question PC crashes, cmos reset, boot failure, what have you

Oct 20, 2024
Hello, I'm looking for help for... one or more issues...
I'm a bit overwhelmed... this isn't the only problem I'm facing. Here I'll stick to the PC related ones.
So...

Now I have a PC that can do 3 things: enter the BIOS, or boot Windows 10 and then crash before login, or open up Windows Recovery Options. I have yet to look further into these options as they might be useful.

Here some specs:
Intel Core i7-9700k
GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi
WD Black SN750 NVMe M.2 SSD
WD Black 2TB HDD
MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8G
2× HyperX Predator 8GB (one kit of 2 modules)
SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 850 Gold

BIOS ID: 8A1FAG0W
BIOS version: F12
BIOS date: 11/05/2021

What happened:
01. This month my PC crashed a lot (like 10~12 times) when gaming, so I ordered a new GPU (arrives next week) and restrained myself from playing GPU intensive games.
02. Yesterday I used my PC mostly for web browsing and note taking, also played some music, but around 19:00 I launched a game that I thought to be on the lighter side... PC crashed.
03. Usually, when my PC crashed, it would just restart... This time it didn't. I powered it manually and BIOS came up with a message about a "cmos reset"... I was puzzled.
04. Then I just checked the video output, the boot order, then save and exit. BIOS came up again.
05. I tried the same thing again to no avail.
06. I powered it off manually.
07. BIOS didn't came up, but GPU dies just after the AORUS logo.
08. Tried again. GPU dies again.
09. This GPU already had me scratching my head in the past. My usual solution was to change the cmos battery. This worked trice this year. Now it doesn't.
10. I turned off PC and PSU and I removed the GPU from the mobo in order to use the integrated graphics of the CPU.
11. I turned the PC on, I got to see Windows 10 login screen, typed the password but then PC crashed.
12. Got into BIOS again, without pressing any key, and I discovered that boot order changed...
13. After a couple more attempts, now BIOS doesn't detect the SSD where I installed Windows.
14. There's an option to load BIOS profiles, so I loaded the "last known good".
15. After that, PC reached again the login screen but crashes again, before I can type anything.
16. I don't remember the exact steps, but then I saw the screen with Windows Recovery Options. Here the buttons are "See advanced repair options" and "Restart my PC".
17. I don't remeber when, but I also got a "boot failure" once.
18. Honestly, I don't know what to do. I don't have a backup but there are no super important files on the SSD.

Sorry for the wall of text, and thank you to anyone willing to help.

UPDATE 1 (monday 21/10/2024): This morning a relative of mine brought my SSD to a technician and they said the SSD is ok.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2024
include the power supply make & model + it's overall age,
motherboard BIOS version,
and if RAM is a 2x module kit or 2 separate 8GB kits
Hello, I edited the OP to include what you asked for, except PSU age.

I've been using it for 3 or 4 years.

I also included an update for the SSD at the end of the post.

Is it ok to update the BIOS in this scenario?

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Is it ok to update the BIOS in this scenario?
This is one option. However, updating BIOS isn't something you can do on a whim. BIOS update, as such, is only viable when you know for a fact that newer BIOS fixes the specific issue you have with your PC. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPU with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i need to update my MoBo BIOS.) If there are no issues, there is no reason, what-so-ever, to update BIOS. Just because you "can" update BIOS doesn't mean that you "have to". Or in other words: "If it ain't broke - don't fix it."

Most MoBos never get their BIOS updated and work fine until they are obsolete. Also, do note that when BIOS update would be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked since PC won't run when MoBo has corrupt BIOS. And only fix is MoBo replacement. If lucky, you can roll back the BIOS update, if your MoBo has that feature.

This morning a relative of mine brought my SSD to a technician and they said the SSD is ok.
While the SSD may be sound hardware wise, this doesn't mean that the software on it (OS namely) isn't corrupted.

What you described, sounds like OS corruption. It may not be caused by SSD failure, but due to other reasons, namely;
This month my PC crashed a lot (like 10~12 times) when gaming

Since you can boot to BIOS and half-way to OS, CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU and PSU, for the most part, are fine.

What i'd suggest would be formatting OS drive and making new, clean Win installation.
Win 10 install guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/
Win 11 install guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-11-clean-install-tutorial.3831442/

Once you've made a clean Win install, look if things improve.

SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 850 Gold
A good quality PSU. Also, not that old either, since it has 10 years of warranty.
So, it would be unlikely that the issue would be PSU.

Games crashing (without PC itself rebooting) are either due to OS/software corruption or malware.
When you'd see BSoD after a crash, it could point towards CPU or RAM issue.
If PC would reboot or shut down as well, then it would be hardware; either way too high CPU/GPU temps or PSU issue.

But 1st things 1st, make a clean Win install and go from there.

Once you can boot back to OS without issues, then you can bench your build to see if hardware also works as it is supposed to or not.

Reactions: Orponut