[SOLVED] PC crashes/won’t startup

Tomgoughh

Honorable
Feb 22, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place to post but need some help. Having some issues with my PC starting. Last night it was crashing while just opening chrome but I loaded up cyberpunk and it worked fine. Went to use it this morning for work and everything I do seems to crash the system.
Ive tried multiple things like different PSU, GPU, RAM and all having the same issue.
I was able to boot to desktop for abit but after a while it stopped booting to desktop and I was getting different errors, one being CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
I thought it might have been a issue with my m.2 drive where windows is installed so I tried unplugging all my drives and just using a spare 2.5inch ssd and installing windows on there, it gets some of the way through and then just crashes at different points.
Really stuck on what could be causing the issue. Tried restoring to old restore points on the m.2 drive but they fail every time. Only thing I can narrow it down to now is the motherboard or CPU being an issue?
Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Gigabyte 2070 super
32gb 3200mhz ram
Strix B450-F
Corsair RM750x

thanks
Tom

Solution
plug back in your m.2 drive and try this. use the command line as an admin to fix this start with chkdsk /r and enter y for yes to start disk checking on next boot could take some time to finish on old hard drives, run chkdsk /f after that same thing but shorter, next run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth from the comand line as admin this will rebuild your image data base, then run sfc /scannow this will work on the repairs to the OS

Lutfij

Titan
When you mention reinstalling your OS onto a 2.5" drive, did you recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? I state recreate since you're advised to recreate the installer and rule out a corrupt installer. As for your platform, how old is the PSU in your build? BIOS version for your platform at the time of writing? On the not of BIOS, can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely without a lockup or system shutdown?

Storage drives in your build?

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
plug back in your m.2 drive and try this. use the command line as an admin to fix this start with chkdsk /r and enter y for yes to start disk checking on next boot could take some time to finish on old hard drives, run chkdsk /f after that same thing but shorter, next run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth from the comand line as admin this will rebuild your image data base, then run sfc /scannow this will work on the repairs to the OS

Solution

joetrex

Reputable
Jan 14, 2018
I understand being unable to boot into the OS limits your ability to troubleshoot, but the possible causes seem too broad to effectively determine the actual problem. Are you able to use a 'Recovery/Rescue' disk to boot into an alternative shell ... perhaps gain access to a command prompt or any other utility with that kind of power, access, and/or capability? At this point, that would be my suggestion - use a USB drive, DVD, or other media to boot to an alternative shell, i.e. a recovery or rescue environment.

If you're able to accomplish this, then perhaps running a chkdsk on the drive you suspect is causing the issue may provide some additional info. If you still believe it's the M.2 drive after running the chkdsk scan, you might solve the problem by running dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

This is, of course, all assuming you're able to boot into a recovery environment and gain access to the command prompt.

Last edited:

Tomgoughh

Honorable
Feb 22, 2017
I've had a bit of luck. Managed to get a new CPU and Motherboard, and install windows on another Drive.
Now i'm in windows I can still access the old m.2 with windows on which is something but I'm not sure what's the best approach to repair any files in the m.2 that might be broken?