Question Pc crashing fully randomly.

Jun 27, 2024
So ever since i built my pc ive had on and off problems with everything and its just been bugging me, for a long time my pc performed well and everything was okay but recently ive been having problems where my pc gets really laggy and crashes while playing games like rainbow six siege and texas chainsaw massacre.

My temps are completely fine my cpu is normally around 70-80 and gpu anywhere from 50-80c. a couple weeks ago i tried overclocking my cpu with amd ryzen overclocker the one where its automated, it didnt do much so i just turned it off a couple weeks after. also a month or so ago i noticed i hadent updated my gpu drivers in like 8 months and ever since i updated them my pc has been crashing, now im not completely sure if the problem lies here because before that i wasnt really playing heavy games only playing league of legends valorant elsword gta and warthudner but around the same time i updated it i started playing siege and texaschainsaw massacre with my beautiful girlfriend but crashed my pc oftenly.

A couple years ago it was crashing when i was playing rainbow six siege then i stopped playing and recently resumed to find the same problem. I dont notice my pc being hot or anything after i turn it back on. for texas chainsaw massacre its completely fine until i load into the character selection then my whole pc gets really laggy and weird, i notice that on task manager my gpu is at 100% and desktopwindow manager is often taking like 70-80% ive had this before in the past and people have told me task manager isnt accurate but yes just thought it would note it. For the rest i dont multi task much normally just have discord spotify a couple firefox tabs and maybe telegram open and the game im playing.

Also a note im often on a vpn but unsure if this would alter anything since it does nothing with my ping or lag or anything like that and havent seen any better performance without it.

for my pc specs i have an rtx 3080 an amd ryzen 9 5900x and 32gigs of ram. Im not sure why my whole pc crashes and not just the game or something like that ive checked the crash history and it just says windows shut down unexpectedly.

XMP is enabled in bios. What in the world could it be? Let me know what stress tests i could try and what options there are.

aymen11512

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Having the same issue, with my rx 6650xt ryzen 5 5600, when playing rainbow six siege, i get a black screen and the rgb on my gpu starts flickering, although i dont really oc i just put the power limit to +10% ..voltage is at stock, no over heating or anything
i ve just tested my psu with a multi meter but it was fine as far as i ve seen, and now im yet to check my socket, sometimes during summer the voltage drops in the socket which can cause such crashes, i suggest you try that ?

Jun 27, 2024
Having the same issue, with my rx 6650xt ryzen 5 5600, when playing rainbow six siege, i get a black screen and the rgb on my gpu starts flickering, although i dont really oc i just put the power limit to +10% ..voltage is at stock, no over heating or anything
i ve just tested my psu with a multi meter but it was fine as far as i ve seen, and now im yet to check my socket, sometimes during summer the voltage drops in the socket which can cause such crashes, i suggest you try that ?
yeah might be something with the socket, weird how its been like really off and on and has been fine for like 4-5 months until i like updated my gpu drivers and started playing a bit more demanding games.

Hey there,

So, we are still a little short on info here. There's no point speculating, untill we have that info.

CPU: 5900x
GPU: RTX3080 - Which brand and model
Ram: 32gb - How many DIMMs (sticks) and brand and model.
Motherboard: ?? - Brand and model.
PSU: Brand and model (This one is very important).
Case: ??
CPU Cooler: ??

First off, I'd say your temps are a little on the high side. A little bit on the CPU side, and a bit more on the GPU.

What bios are you using on the motherboard. You can use CPU-z to find this out. Post screenshots of the Memory/SPD tabs in CPU-z so we can check the info.

Are all of your system drivers up to date, including chipset, lan, etc?

Use memtest86+ and test your ram outside of the Windows environment so we can rule out ram. I suspect ram may be part of the issue, but when you give us the extra info, we can rule it out.

Also, it's not clear what you mean by crashing. Do you mean the game crashes and goes to the desktop? Or is it a BSOD, or is it a complete restart of the system with no forwarning?

Jun 27, 2024
Hey there,

So, we are still a little short on info here. There's no point speculating, untill we have that info.

CPU: 5900x
GPU: RTX3080 - Which brand and model
Ram: 32gb - How many DIMMs (sticks) and brand and model.
Motherboard: ?? - Brand and model.
PSU: Brand and model (This one is very important).
Case: ??
CPU Cooler: ??

First off, I'd say your temps are a little on the high side. A little bit on the CPU side, and a bit more on the GPU.

What bios are you using on the motherboard. You can use CPU-z to find this out. Post screenshots of the Memory/SPD tabs in CPU-z so we can check the info.

Are all of your system drivers up to date, including chipset, lan, etc?

Use memtest86+ and test your ram outside of the Windows environment so we can rule out ram. I suspect ram may be part of the issue, but when you give us the extra info, we can rule it out.

Also, it's not clear what you mean by crashing. Do you mean the game crashes and goes to the desktop? Or is it a BSOD, or is it a complete restart of the system with no forwarning?
heya
my gpu is a gigabyte oc white rtx 3080 oc
4 sticks of 8 gb corsair vengance 4x8 3600mhz
motherboard is a white asus rog strix b550a-gaming
psu is a corsair rm850x gold
case is a lian li 011xl
cpu cooler corsair h150i elite cappelix

yes i agree my temps are a bit high i have 6 fans sucking in air (i can provide the fan curves) and 3 of my cpu cooler fans sucking out air but i havent reapplied thermal paste in a good 8-12 months.

heres the cpuz screenshots my bios is on version 2803 https://ibb.co/5BYThxN
https://ibb.co/k4VWrjM
https://ibb.co/vZcsDVc

yes i think all my system drivers are up to date but if you have any sort of tutorial on how i can check and update them i would gladly.
ill test the ram tonight or tomorrow when i can find a usb.
with crashing i mean that its as if the pc just turns off like as if you would turn it off with the psu switch, it doest attempt restarting all the lights just go black screen goes dark as if you cut all the power at once.

heya
my gpu is a gigabyte oc white rtx 3080 oc
4 sticks of 8 gb corsair vengance 4x8 3600mhz
motherboard is a white asus rog strix b550a-gaming
psu is a corsair rm850x gold
case is a lian li 011xl
cpu cooler corsair h150i elite cappelix

yes i agree my temps are a bit high i have 6 fans sucking in air (i can provide the fan curves) and 3 of my cpu cooler fans sucking out air but i havent reapplied thermal paste in a good 8-12 months.

heres the cpuz screenshots my bios is on version 2803 https://ibb.co/5BYThxN
https://ibb.co/k4VWrjM
https://ibb.co/vZcsDVc

yes i think all my system drivers are up to date but if you have any sort of tutorial on how i can check and update them i would gladly.
ill test the ram tonight or tomorrow when i can find a usb.
with crashing i mean that its as if the pc just turns off like as if you would turn it off with the psu switch, it doest attempt restarting all the lights just go black screen goes dark as if you cut all the power at once.
Okay, thanks.

So, there's a couple of issues potentially at cause here, and maybe 1 that might be unseen but causing instability.

1. Your bios is way out of date. Version 2803 is from April 2022. The current version (same as my own Asus board) is 3607. I'd suggest starting here, as the newer bios brought along many performance enhancements, bug fixes, security patches and ram compatibility. 3607 brought a lot of good stuff for CPU. Better voltage tolerances and higher clocks.

2. Possible dying PSU. Although your PSU is a really good one, it could be faulty. Hard to test this.

3. Ram. Whilst I'm not saying the ram is this issue, I'm wondering about the config. Is it a 4 x matched kit of DIMMs? If it's a 2 x kit, times two, then I would test with only one 2 x 8 kit and see if the issue persists.

4. Are all system drivers up to date? Chipset, lan etc? If not you need to, again to rule out.

Jun 27, 2024
Okay, thanks.

So, there's a couple of issues potentially at cause here, and maybe 1 that might be unseen but causing instability.

1. Your bios is way out of date. Version 2803 is from April 2022. The current version (same as my own Asus board) is 3607. I'd suggest starting here, as the newer bios brought along many performance enhancements, bug fixes, security patches and ram compatibility. 3607 brought a lot of good stuff for CPU. Better voltage tolerances and higher clocks.

2. Possible dying PSU. Although your PSU is a really good one, it could be faulty. Hard to test this.

3. Ram. Whilst I'm not saying the ram is this issue, I'm wondering about the config. Is it a 4 x matched kit of DIMMs? If it's a 2 x kit, times two, then I would test with only one 2 x 8 kit and see if the issue persists.

4. Are all system drivers up to date? Chipset, lan etc? If not you need to, again to rule out.
its 1 kit of 4 ill try updating my bios right now and checking for my chipset drivers and lan drivers, i can do this in device manager, correct?

aymen11512

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
yeah might be something with the socket, weird how its been like really off and on and has been fine for like 4-5 months until i like updated my gpu drivers and started playing a bit more demanding games.
I ve just fixed this ..for me at least, i tried testing my psu with multimeter, i got good readings but that was only at idle, so i got a new psu, a corsair gold rm650 (enough for me), now everything works flawless..that might fix it for you