Sep 19, 2022
No changes in hardware or software prior to this. It crashes during startup, during log in, a minute or so after startup while loading programs. I’ve managed to make it into safe mode a few times but it crashes in safe mode and also during shutdown from safe mode. Crashes during memory tests and startup repair. I did manage to run a disk drive test which gave me the OK status for both drives. Disabled fast startup in BIOS. Whether the PC is plugged into a surge protector or wall outlet made no difference. PC did not crash when started without a monitor attached by HDMI, seems to only crash when any monitor is attached (I tried several monitors). I blew out my PC and deep cleaned my GPU. Task manager shows no issues. I thought that it could have been an issue with the PSU so I replaced it. No improvements. Event viewer shows hundreds of critical, error and warning events in the past 7 days, unfortunately I don’t know what any of them mean. Are there any specific ones I should look out for?

By “crash” I mean that my PC in it’s entirety shuts off in an instant. Nothing is left running whatsoever, no lights left on. The longer that I leave my PC alone between startups, the longer it allows me to use it before crashing again, and when I restart it several times in a row it crashes sooner each time.

Is this a CPU problem? Is there anything else that I can do, any sure signs of this being caused by something else, or any ways I can know for sure that this is a CPU issue before spending the money to replace it?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
MOBO: Asus STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Video Card
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 700 W 80+ Certified ATX

Which motherboard BIOS version is currently installed?

Have you recently, at all, visited the ASUS website and downloaded the latest chipset, network adapter and audio chipset drivers from the B350-F Gaming product support page?

Oh, and also, you really want to replace that Thermaltake Smart series unit. Had that for a while too, haven't you? It's a real turd. Can't say for SURE that's the problem, but it is SURE as heck where "I" would start. Then, if that didn't solve your troubles I'd pull that GTX 970 out and see how long the system stays on even though you can't see anything, or if it still shuts down without it installed. And I mean, out of the board, completely.

If it only crashes when there is a monitor attached it seems likely that means that either the PSU is not able to deliver what the graphics card needs when it is under even a minimal load, OR the graphics card simply has problems and is done had it. I would start with the power supply since it's a rather crappy model anyhow, look at the following two links for advice on that:

Sep 19, 2022
Thank you for your response. My BIOS version is 4024. I haven’t downloaded those, should I? It’s been nearly impossible to access the internet with the state my PC is in right now but I could try my best to do that next. The thermaltake PSU is the replacement I bought for my old one, so it’s brand new. My old one was a coolermaster 700 that was over ten years old. Would it be better to return it and get a different one? It was the only one at the store that I could get fast for an affordable price with good reviews so that’s why I got that one. I’ve managed to keep it on in normal mode once and in safe mode a few times so I’m not sure it’s the GPU but I’ll definitely test without it, thanks for the suggestions and the links!

4024?

4024?

Ok, just kidding. Yes, that is a pretty old version. The FIRST thing you want to do is upgrade to the latest stable version, version 6042, before trying to worry about other solutions.

We have seen SOME situations where a Windows update, with an older BIOS version, can instantly cause problems. Not often, but a few cases. Try that first and then load the optimal default BIOS settings, save, exit, go back into BIOS and reset any custom settings you had configured previously, then see what shakes out.

Sep 19, 2022
I did some tests and found that my PC still crashes without a GPU and actually will still crash without a monitor plugged in, but is less likely/takes longer. I can’t manage to keep the PC on long enough to be able to update my BIOS, and I’m reading that if a BIOS update is interrupted (such as the crash) that my MOBO will be bricked. Doesn’t seem like updating BIOS is the solution as I know I will definitely crash in the middle of the update since my PC crashes in the middle of system repair and memory testing.

I would then start by returning that Smart series PSU and getting something that is actually decent, and has at least acceptable quality. That unit does not. While it might not be the problem, I've seen so many problems with these Smart series units (And honestly, just about EVERY power supply sold by Thermaltake that isn't a Toughpower model of some kind) that without having a reliably decent unit in there it's almost like trying to figure out why a car won't start when you know there is no gas in it.

For model recommendations and insights, please visit both of the following links. They will help you to avoid buying another dud.