[SOLVED] PC Crashing Randomly - No BSOD Error, Doesn't Restart Automatically

Apr 1, 2021
Hello All,

Full disclosure NOT the first time I have had problems with this PC.

Ryzen 7 3700X
2060 Super
Corsair H100i
RGB Vengeance 32 GB of RAM
CX 750
MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE

Had a problem early this year late last year where I would BSOD when playing games with a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. Took it to three different PC shops, none of them said my temps were weird or anything. Finally took it to geek squad and the kid said it might be my PSU so I replaced it and the PC has run fine for a while now.

Come about 2 weeks ago, I spilled a little bit of liquid in it. Turned if off right away, dried it off, let it air dry for ~24 hours, wiped it down with some rubbing alcohol, and it ran fine for these past two weeks with no problems at all.

Come today - it started randomly turning off. No BSOD, no error messages when I restart, nothing.
Crashed when I was playing League of Legends and Counter Strike, but not while playing Battlefield 1 if you think that has anything to do with it.

Temperatures of GPU and CPU stay below 70 while gaming, CPU voltage is at ~1.42 and CPU boost in on in my motherboard, but the research I did indicated that might not be the problem.

When I was getting BSOD'd I replaced the CPU and my PC just didn't launch. Returned the new CPU, put my old one back in, replaced the PSU, and the new PSU and old CPU ran fine for ~1.5 to 2 months.

Also forgot to mention, occasionally when I power it up it just wont turn on. Black screen, fans run, but nothing happens. Just turn off the unit then turn it back on and usually launches fine then. This happens maybe once a week at most, once every two weeks at minimum.

Im taking it to Best Buy again on April 8th, so if you're reading this by then and it still hasn't been marked/edited to say 'solved' then realize that any solutions you offer will only be done/responded to when I get it back and if it doesn't work when I get it back.

Event log 1

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 3/31/2021 4:45:48 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-8F4PDNP
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>8</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-03-31T20:45:48.7856231Z" />
<EventRecordID>9472</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-8F4PDNP</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">39</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">0</Data>
<Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Event log 2

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 3/31/2021 11:58:33 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-8F4PDNP
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>8</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-04-01T03:58:33.4722128Z" />
<EventRecordID>9698</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-8F4PDNP</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">0</Data>
<Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Last edited:
Solution
windows doesn't know why it restarted, hence the event 41 (63) as that occurs after the restart

those temps are within reason for the hardware.

you could use hwinfo to log sensors and see if any of them show any clues
When you start it, click on the box next to sensors only and click run
in next window, click on the button to right of the clock icon, that shows "logging start" if you hover mouse over it.
this opens file explorer letting you create a log file, name it something that you will find again.
You need to do this each time before you start logging as it doesn't do it auto.
file it creates is a CSV file, can be read in excel or google docs.

Colif

Win 11 Master
windows doesn't know why it restarted, hence the event 41 (63) as that occurs after the restart

in next window, click on the button to right of the clock icon, that shows "logging start" if you hover mouse over it.
this opens file explorer letting you create a log file, name it something that you will find again.
You need to do this each time before you start logging as it doesn't do it auto.

Solution
Apr 1, 2021

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I downloaded it, and did the steps above., but I'm unaware of how to fully utilize this problem program and what I should be looking for. Going through everything appears to be fine, but again, not sure what I should be looking for.

Do it just run it until my PC crashes, then open up the CSV file? Is it possible to upload the document here to have a community member take a look?

UPDATE: Played a league game, and noticed my Power Reporting Deviation (Accuracy) had a red number in the Minimum column of 78.7%. My Maximum in 150.3%, which isn't red, and my average is 104.2%, which isn't red. Any ideas what this could be/mean? I think it means that my Motherboard is telling my CPU to draw more power, even though it doesn't really need it. This loads the system too much and just causes it to power off? Any idea what I can do in my bios to prevent my motherboard from telling the CPU to take more power like this? Is this a motherboard or CPU issue?

UPDATE 2: Crashed, reviewed the HWInfo, but nothing stood out to me. It's linked here. Does this indicate no hardware issues and instead might be a driver issue? (first 10 lines are the moments leading up to the crash, everything below it was from when I was running the application.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Power Reporting Deviation (Accuracy) had a red number in the Minimum column of 78.7%. My Maximum in 150.3%, which isn't red, and my average is 104.2%, which isn't red. Any ideas what this could be/mean?

This is normal. It was the first thing I looked at too, its meant to be like that.
Here is mine
vrsS0vr.jpg

also, the values of the field don't mean anything unless taken at 100% load, so they are less than meaningless at any other load state. Just ignore them.
More Info: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/thread...er-reporting-deviation-metric-in-hwinfo.6456/

You need to share the file on google as Its asking me to request access.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021
This is normal. It was the first thing I looked at too, its meant to be like that.
Here is mine
vrsS0vr.jpg

also, the values of the field don't mean anything unless taken at 100% load, so they are less than meaningless at any other load state. Just ignore them.
More Info: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/thread...er-reporting-deviation-metric-in-hwinfo.6456/

You need to share the file on google as Its asking me to request access.

I wanna start this off by saying you're a saint, and this is going to be the stupidest fix ever. I'm a college student, so my set up is less than ideal. I usually plug my PC directly into the wall, but in my dorm, I can't. I have a power strip behind my desk. I went to cross my legs when I was on my desktop and my 6'1 self couldn't do it without readjusting and hitting the back of my desk....which shut off my pc. I turn it, back on - and decide to kick my desk again thinking it might have been some odd coincidence...

It wasn't - I did it three times and learned that my power strips reset button is positioned perfectly so that hitting my desk in any way shuts off my PC.

Long story short, I'm stupid. Thank you so much for your help, and even though nothing came of it - I did learn a lot about more ways to trouble shoot in the future!

Colif

Win 11 Master