Question PC crashing unless I use "Power Saving" mode in BIOS ?

V3rS3

Reputable
Oct 3, 2019
I've had this PC for just under a year now, this is my first ever PC and it's a custom build, I've had a couple of problems here and there but none as irritating as this one: So basically when I first got my PC it would just freeze and I couldn't do anything not even move my mouse, I had to hold down the power button to shut it down, but I found that If I use the "Power Saving" mode in the bios this wouldn't happen but my PC just feels very slow with the "Power Saving" mode, so I tried to use "Asus Optimal" (The same issue happens with normal mode) to see if it would work this time but still the same issues except this time it doesn't freeze it just crashes (No Blue screen of death, just all displays turn off all lights and fans still work in the case) would anyone by any chance know a way to solve this?
(P.S: Still happens when I have all my fans on max)

Edit 1: This happens on "Power Saving" mode now as well

Edit 2: After updating to the latest Radeon GPU drivers I can use Power saving without issues now

Specs:

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3 1300X
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance
Motherboard: Prime B350-PLUS
GPU: RX 580 8GB
PSU: MasterWatt 550 (80+ Bronze Certified)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Heavy gaming use?

My first thought is that that PSU may be starting to falter and fail.

Could be nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life). Especially if constantly run and trying to meet continually peak power demands.

Other thoughts:

Disk Drives: make, model, capacity how full?

Any recent system maintenance to clean out dust and debris? Plus re-seat all connectors, card, RAM, and jumpers. Could be something coming loose.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. There may be some error codes, warnings, or informational events that precede or correspond with the freezes.

V3rS3

Reputable
Oct 3, 2019
Heavy gaming use?

My first thought is that that PSU may be starting to falter and fail.

Could be nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life). Especially if constantly run and trying to meet continually peak power demands.

Other thoughts:

Disk Drives: make, model, capacity how full?

Any recent system maintenance to clean out dust and debris? Plus re-seat all connectors, card, RAM, and jumpers. Could be something coming loose.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. There may be some error codes, warnings, or informational events that precede or correspond with the freezes.

Hi, Thanks for your reply, this issue happens whether I am gaming or not, but it seems that the latest Radeon driver update fixed this if this happens again I'll make sure to check in the event viewer. (I am running on normal after the driver update) (I recently changed cases so most cables we're replugged and I also cleaned out the dust)

Disk Drives: SSD: Samsung Evo 860 500GB (79.4GB Left) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (232 GB Left)

Edit: I guess the driver update didn't fix it because I just had a black screen and had to hold the power button to restart I am on power-saving again, I am checking event viewer right now and it looks like I have multiple errors but one that stood out to me was "The driver detected an internal driver error on \Device\VBoxNetLwf" it happened 3 times in the last hour which is the same amount of black out's the PC had I also have another error that happened 6 times in the last hour which is something about "tmpid" which says
"The description for Event ID 2 from source tmpid cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."
not sure if this would help in anyways but I hope it does. (extra errors I am getting: "Name: Kernel-EventTracing. Error:Error setting traits on Provider {8444a4fb-d8d3-4f38-84f8-89960a1ef12f}. Error: 0xC0000001. Name: AppModel-Runtime. Error: Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows. They all happened at the same time I had the PC blackout.) Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Varying errors and an increasing number of errors are, to me, indicative of a failing PSU.

Were you able to open the case, clean out dust and debris, and reseat everything? Reference Post #2

Your second image mentions "USBHUB3". What USB devices are installed?

Could be that the PSU is not providing then necessary voltage/wattage for USB devices.

Starting on June 20th take a look at the critical errors in detail.

Some of the shutdowns are you being forced to reboot after a crash (aka "was not properly shutdown").

Key is discover/identify the critical events that caused the crashes and forced shutdowns.

V3rS3

Reputable
Oct 3, 2019
Varying errors and an increasing number of errors are, to me, indicative of a failing PSU.

Were you able to open the case, clean out dust and debris, and reseat everything? Reference Post #2

Your second image mentions "USBHUB3". What USB devices are installed?

Could be that the PSU is not providing then necessary voltage/wattage for USB devices.

Starting on June 20th take a look at the critical errors in detail.

Some of the shutdowns are you being forced to reboot after a crash (aka "was not properly shutdown").

Key is discover/identify the critical events that caused the crashes and forced shutdowns.
Yes, I was able to open the case, clean out the dust and reseat everything.

The USB devices I have installed are my mouse, keyboard, usb hub (splitter), and lastly I have installed a program called SCPtoolkit which basically makes me able to use a PS3 controller on PC.

The shutdowns were by holding down the power button since the displays would just be black (fans and rgbs still running in case)

The June 20th errors were mainly errors caused by a game I was trying to start up (PC did blackout) however 2 errors were the same as the one in the 2nd screenshot I listed in my last reply.

I might just get a new PSU what PSU's would you recommend?

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: Start with the following link.

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

Use the calculators and do your own manual total as well. If a component provides a wattage range use the high end wattage value. After totaling up all components add 25% more for a "Grand Total" wattage.

After deciding on a couple of possible choices go to the manufacturer's websites. Look for and read the PSU installation guide/manual. Also read any applicable FAQs and Forums. Pay attention to what is said as well as what is not said.

Do not mix and match cables from other/older PSUs.

V3rS3

Reputable
Oct 3, 2019

Use the calculators and do your own manual total as well. If a component provides a wattage range use the high end wattage value. After totaling up all components add 25% more for a "Grand Total" wattage.

After deciding on a couple of possible choices go to the manufacturer's websites. Look for and read the PSU installation guide/manual. Also read any applicable FAQs and Forums. Pay attention to what is said as well as what is not said.

Bought a really overkill PSU yesterday I'll inform you on whether it works or not (should arrive tomorrow)

V3rS3

Reputable
Oct 3, 2019

I got an RM1000x which has more than enough wattage for my PC and my pc still crashed (Monitors just black everything inside pc still running) makes my heart kinda hurt that It took me so long to get the PSU cables in the right spot (Not that good at building PC's) and I'll probably have to return this PSU now. (It's also happening just WAY WAY too often now, I can barely finish a 10 minute youtube video without crashing)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
"I can barely finish a 10 minute youtube video without crashing) '

What error messages (if any) are appearing in Reliablitiy History and Event Viewer? Especially any that occur about 10 minutes into watching a youtube video.

Before returning the PSU there are still other things you can do.

Crashes/power losses etc. can cause file corruption.

Try running the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

V3rS3

Reputable
Oct 3, 2019
"I can barely finish a 10 minute youtube video without crashing) '

What error messages (if any) are appearing in Reliablitiy History and Event Viewer? Especially any that occur about 10 minutes into watching a youtube video.

Before returning the PSU there are still other things you can do.

Crashes/power losses etc. can cause file corruption.

Try running the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image
The error seems to have stopped for the moment, I haven't done much other than a driver install and virus scan, however I found a reoccuring error in the event viewer app, I was getting an error saying "Error setting traits on Provider {8444a4fb-d8d3-4f38-84f8-89960a1ef12f}. Error: 0xC0000001", So I did a bit of research and found that others are having the same issues and also saying that their PC's were crashing because of this, I am going to try and fix this error and see if it stops the crashing, I'll let you know if it does. potential fix

V3rS3

Reputable
Oct 3, 2019
The error seems to have stopped for the moment, I haven't done much other than a driver install and virus scan, however I found a reoccuring error in the event viewer app, I was getting an error saying "Error setting traits on Provider {8444a4fb-d8d3-4f38-84f8-89960a1ef12f}. Error: 0xC0000001", So I did a bit of research and found that others are having the same issues and also saying that their PC's were crashing because of this, I am going to try and fix this error and see if it stops the crashing, I'll let you know if it does. potential fix

Ralston18

Titan
The provided "potential fix" link would not open for me.

Do be careful about any such links especially if they involve Registry Edit (extreme last resort) and/or the installation of some third party app claiming to fix the problem.

Some of those apps will show up no matter what problem is being addressed.

= = = =

Edit: Link opened. However, the above still stands.

Try sfc /scannow and dism first.

V3rS3

Reputable
Oct 3, 2019
The provided "potential fix" link would not open for me.

Do be careful about any such links especially if they involve Registry Edit (extreme last resort) and/or the installation of some third party app claiming to fix the problem.

Some of those apps will show up no matter what problem is being addressed.

= = = =

Edit: Link opened. However, the above still stands.

Try sfc /scannow and dism first.
dism and sfc scan didn't detect any corruptions I did some updating of drivers and windows and the PC seemed to work fine in asus optimal for longer than usual however it still crashed. the only errors showing up in reliability history is just "Windows was not shut off properly" (because I held down the power button), But some errors that are in the event viewer say: "Session "PerfDiag Logger" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035" (The name of the error is Kernel-EventTracing), "Error setting traits on Provider {8444a4fb-d8d3-4f38-84f8-89960a1ef12f}. Error: 0xC0000001" (Kernel-EventTracing again), "Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows." (AppModel-Runtime) "DCOM got error "1115" attempting to start the service SecurityHealthService with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server: {8C9C0DB7-2CBA-40F1-AFE0-C55740DD91A0}" (DistributedCOM)

Edit: It seems to have stopped for the time being the PC has been on for 45 Minutes on asus optimal but still no crashes crashed when I launched a heavy game (Kerbal Space Program) Could this be a motherboard or cpu issue? I was thinking it could be a motherboard issue since all the peripherals (keyboard, mouse etc) that were plugged into it just turn off when it happens and same with the displays which might make sense because the gpu is plugged into the motherboard.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
If the problem is restricted to one game in particular or perhaps heavy games in general then I will still consider the PSU as a potential culprit.

Also use Task Manager to observe system performance.

Look in the startup tab to determine what all is launched at startup. Look for anything unexpected and/or unidentified.

Do not immediately disable or uninstall anything you do not recognize. Google first to learn (if possible) what it may be.

Reading back, I am now wondering about the disk drives. Both are very full and that can be problematic as well. Especially the Barracuda drive.

Use Resource Monitor to watch drive performance: first while not gaming and then while being careful not to change anything else

Is all data on both drives fully backed up? And confirmed to be recoverable and readable?

Has the HDD ever been defragmented? (Do not defrag SSD's).

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
That Masterwatt 550W PSU is a nasty little thing. The RX580 needs 330W alone, and if the rest of your system uses 150W or so, then yeah you could be nearing the max output of the PSU and start to see crashes etc.

I would suggest a Corsair RM650 PSU for that build, nothing less.

V3rS3

Reputable
Oct 3, 2019
That Masterwatt 550W PSU is a nasty little thing. The RX580 needs 330W alone, and if the rest of your system uses 150W or so, then yeah you could be nearing the max output of the PSU and start to see crashes etc.

I would suggest a Corsair RM650 PSU for that build, nothing less.
Got a new RM1000X still the same issue

V3rS3

Reputable
Oct 3, 2019
If the problem is restricted to one game in particular or perhaps heavy games in general then I will still consider the PSU as a potential culprit.

Also use Task Manager to observe system performance.

Look in the startup tab to determine what all is launched at startup. Look for anything unexpected and/or unidentified.

Do not immediately disable or uninstall anything you do not recognize. Google first to learn (if possible) what it may be.

Reading back, I am now wondering about the disk drives. Both are very full and that can be problematic as well. Especially the Barracuda drive.

Use Resource Monitor to watch drive performance: first while not gaming and then while being careful not to change anything else

Is all data on both drives fully backed up? And confirmed to be recoverable and readable?

Has the HDD ever been defragmented? (Do not defrag SSD's).
The problem isn't restricted to heavy games, sometimes I don't even have anything open yet my pc will crash (I doubt it's the PSU I just got this PSU brand new from amazon), my latest defrag of the HDD was about 2 weeks ago, on the resource monitor when my pc crashed it didn't look like anything was too weird, no hdd fails (resource monitor) and 0% active time (task manager) 2 days ago I uninstalled a bunch of games I don't play anymore now my SSD has 116 GB free data and my HDD has 511 GB free, though I am not sure on how to backup my data on the drives.
Edit: I forgot to say, before I got my hdd my pc would just freeze and I wouldn't be able to do anything I had to hold down the power button, could this be the SSD causing these issues?

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
before I got my hdd my pc would just freeze and I wouldn't be able to do anything I had to hold down the power button, could this be the SSD causing these issues?

Yes. That sounds like the SSD is doing something bad. What SSD is it, how old is it?

This sounds like it could also be a software issue / malware. When was the last time you did a clean install of Windows?

V3rS3

Reputable
Oct 3, 2019
Yes. That sounds like the SSD is doing something bad. What SSD is it, how old is it?

This sounds like it could also be a software issue / malware. When was the last time you did a clean install of Windows?
It's a Samsung 860 Evo 500GB and it's about 2 years old.

Last time I did a clean install of windows was around 6 months ago and I am very cautious when it comes to installing programs I do a virus scan with malwarebytes every ~1 1/2 weeks.

Edit: Using CrystalDiskInfo it says that my SSD has good health (88%)

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Hm. Well try to format the drive and reinstall windows. If that doesn't help, then maybe replace the motherboard. I tend to find Intel systems a lot more reliable than AMD so while you're there maybe swap to an Intel CPU.

As a last resort if all of that fails, swap out the SSD.

V3rS3

Reputable
Oct 3, 2019
Hm. Well try to format the drive and reinstall windows. If that doesn't help, then maybe replace the motherboard. I tend to find Intel systems a lot more reliable than AMD so while you're there maybe swap to an Intel CPU.

As a last resort if all of that fails, swap out the SSD.
I was honestly thinking of upgrading anyways, I might just get a new motherboard and cpu, however I managed to snag this video of HWiNFO while my pc crashed here's the video .
(Crash is at 1:57)