[SOLVED] PC crashing when playing games after upgrading CPU

Mar 8, 2022
Hi all,

I just upgraded my 3700X to a 5950X, as well as installing a new additional HDD, and as soon as I start playing games (specifically Final Fantasy XIV), it doesn't take more than a minute for the system to power off. (I think? The lights and fans inside my case stay on, but everything else is dead until I press the reset button on my case. Not sure what exactly is happening.) Should note that the game ran absolutely fine prior to this upgrade; the issue only started after installing the new CPU and HDD. I built the system in May 2020 and haven't upgraded any components since then until now.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02)
RAM: 4x 8GB DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800 DDR4 SDRAM UDIMM (Crucial)
Graphics card: GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super WindForce 3 OC (GV-N207SWF3OC-8GD)
Drives: 1x 1TB NVMe, 2x 2TB SATA
PSU: Corsair TX650M 650W Semi-Modular 80+ Gold PSU
OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Enterprise (x64) Build 22000.527

Things I've tried:
  • Updating OS, BIOS, chipset drivers, graphics drivers
  • Resetting BIOS settings
  • Switching XMP on and off
  • Checking temps - everything is normal, fans are working
  • Checking event viewer - there are no events before a crash
  • Re-seating most cables/connectors inside the case
I'm unsure if this is a RAM or GPU issue as I've been able to fill those up with other applications and have no crashes, but I intend to test with more games soon to make sure the issue isn't caused by just that one.

Suggestions on what to try would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
My first thought is PSU, going from a 3700x to a 5950x i quite the jump in power requirement. Throw in the fact that the 2000/3000 RTX cards have quick power spikes can throw the PSU into a fit. More then likely the new power draw from the cpu and the quick spikes from the gpu are playing hell on the 12v rail and tripping it.

My 2080 Ti set at 100% power will spike to 107% power draw from time to time. I had an EVGA 750W G2 that would trip, luckily i had a 1600w G2 laying around that i threw in and haven't had any issues since.... it overkill but its what i had laying around.
My first thought is PSU, going from a 3700x to a 5950x i quite the jump in power requirement. Throw in the fact that the 2000/3000 RTX cards have quick power spikes can throw the PSU into a fit. More then likely the new power draw from the cpu and the quick spikes from the gpu are playing hell on the 12v rail and tripping it.

My 2080 Ti set at 100% power will spike to 107% power draw from time to time. I had an EVGA 750W G2 that would trip, luckily i had a 1600w G2 laying around that i threw in and haven't had any issues since.... it overkill but its what i had laying around.

Solution
Mar 8, 2022

Thinking you may be right. I halved the amount of cores used in msconfig and I haven't crashed yet. If it runs fine for a while I'll order a bigger PSU and see if that fixes it. Strange though, since the TDP calculators I tried roughly said a 500W PSU would be sufficient for my specs, and I have a 650W... but we'll see (y)