[SOLVED] PC Crashing When RAM Set To 3600MHZ

Swiizy

Prominent
Apr 4, 2020
I have a Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600MHZ RAM, Ryzen 2700x, Zotac 2070 Super Mini, Gigabyte x570 Gaming X Mobo, Corsair RM850 W PSU, Cooler Master Ml240 Liquid Cooler.

When I set the RAM to 3600MHZ and run a game I always crash and when its set to 3200MHZ I don't get any crashes. Nothing in my PC is overclocked.

Solution
So, I'm not sure where you're looking or what you're seeing, but the X570 Gaming X revision 1.0 doesn't have a "F31b" BIOS version available. The latest version available for that board is version F30, and that is the version I'd recommend that you install.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-GAMING-X-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

I don't see any mention of truncating support for any previous generation CPUs in any of the BIOS notes, which I didn't expect to anyhow. The only boards I've seen that have had reduced CPU support when updating to newer versions have been SOME (Not even all) of the B450 and X470 boards, and numerically a higher number of the older B350, X370 and A320 boards. And that was a Ryzen 3000 series...
And the QVL list backs that up as there are no kits listed/validated that are higher than 3200mhz on the QVL as well. I'd run them at 3200mhz with VERY tight timings, depending on the model of the kit, which is why I asked, which may actually make them FASTER than at 3600mhz if they are CL16 or higher.

Reactions: DMAN999
There isn't even an F12e listed on the motherboard BIOS support page. It goes directly from F11 to F20 for both the rev 1.0 and 1.1 versions of that board. Either way, you would be WAY behind on BIOS versions and it would be a really good idea to first update to the latest version or at least version F20, as there are improvements to memory compatibility on two newer BIOS releases than yours, one of which also adds support for newer CPUs (3000 series) and two more than add support for the 5000 series. I'd just update to the latest version and be done with it.

Then I'd MAYBE try to see about tightening those memory timings down if the BIOS update doesn't allow you to run it at that higher speed without problems.

Swiizy

Prominent
Apr 4, 2020
There isn't even an F12e listed on the motherboard BIOS support page. It goes directly from F11 to F20 for both the rev 1.0 and 1.1 versions of that board. Either way, you would be WAY behind on BIOS versions and it would be a really good idea to first update to the latest version or at least version F20, as there are improvements to memory compatibility on two newer BIOS releases than yours, one of which also adds support for newer CPUs (3000 series) and two more than add support for the 5000 series. I'd just update to the latest version and be done with it.

Then I'd MAYBE try to see about tightening those memory timings down if the BIOS update doesn't allow you to run it at that higher speed without problems.
I'll try updating the BIOS. I'll let you know what happens.

Swiizy

Prominent
Apr 4, 2020

I was just about to try to update the BIOS and I see there's a F31b. It says "Update AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.1.0.0 B for performance optimized on Ryzen 5000 series processors " Should I still try it?

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
Most motherboards have to remove support for 1st and 2nd generation Ryzen cpus to support Ryzen 5000 so really check the website before installing that bios update. They should warn you if it's not for your cpu.

So, I'm not sure where you're looking or what you're seeing, but the X570 Gaming X revision 1.0 doesn't have a "F31b" BIOS version available. The latest version available for that board is version F30, and that is the version I'd recommend that you install.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-GAMING-X-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

I don't see any mention of truncating support for any previous generation CPUs in any of the BIOS notes, which I didn't expect to anyhow. The only boards I've seen that have had reduced CPU support when updating to newer versions have been SOME (Not even all) of the B450 and X470 boards, and numerically a higher number of the older B350, X370 and A320 boards. And that was a Ryzen 3000 series support thing, it had nothing at all to do with Ryzen 5000 series.

None of the older Ryzen chipsets like B350 will support Ryzen 5000 series, no matter what. And all or at least most of the B450 and X470 chipsets WILL support Ryzen 5000 series, and I've not seen any indications that there is going to be an elimination of older model CPUs in order to accommodate them. At least not so far. B550 doesn't support the 1st and 2nd Gen CPUs anyhow, at all, and the X570 chipsets should support all of them from first gen to 4th gen. I've seen nothing that says otherwise.

Solution

Swiizy

Prominent
Apr 4, 2020

I don't see any mention of truncating support for any previous generation CPUs in any of the BIOS notes, which I didn't expect to anyhow. The only boards I've seen that have had reduced CPU support when updating to newer versions have been SOME (Not even all) of the B450 and X470 boards, and numerically a higher number of the older B350, X370 and A320 boards. And that was a Ryzen 3000 series support thing, it had nothing at all to do with Ryzen 5000 series.

None of the older Ryzen chipsets like B350 will support Ryzen 5000 series, no matter what. And all or at least most of the B450 and X470 chipsets WILL support Ryzen 5000 series, and I've not seen any indications that there is going to be an elimination of older model CPUs in order to accommodate them. At least not so far. B550 doesn't support the 1st and 2nd Gen CPUs anyhow, at all, and the X570 chipsets should support all of them from first gen to 4th gen. I've seen nothing that says otherwise.
I'll get the F30 but I find it weird that when I search for BIOS drivers on the same site and the same mobo I see F31b

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
The F31b (Beta) Bios is listed here:

But like DB said, I wouldn't use it unless it has improvements listed that you have to have.
And since you don't have a Ryzen 5000 CPU, there is no need to use it yet.

Personally I would test BIOS version F21 first and see if that resolves your RAM issues.
Then if it doesn't you can try version F30.