Question Pc dead after installing a new ssd. Whats wrong?

FliSh101

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
Today I received a new ssd so I decided to install it in my PC. After installing it I plugged everything in an pressed the power button. The PC turned on for a fraction of a second then it turned off. I waited a few seconds and tried again but nothing happened. I tested the PSU and it seems to be working fine. What seems to be the problem?

Cpu: i7 6700k
Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance
Gpu: msi gtx 1070 gaming x
Mobo: msi z170 tomahawk
Psu: corsair vs550

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well just adding an SSD won't kill the PC unless something else happened.

Follow this guide first to make sure no connections were knocked out of place:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Then feedback - be thorough with it too, take the time to make sure everything is secure as per the guide. I know it seems obvious, but it really does tend to cover 99% of cases.

FliSh101

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016

FliSh101

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
So just clarify what actually happens when you press the power button.

I would breadboard - remove all non-essentials. Just keep MB, CPU, Cooler, 1 stick of RAM and see if you have any luck. Do you have integrated graphics?

Literally Nothing happens when I press the power switch. No fans spinning, no lights, no psu fan and I dont have the little speaker that goes into the mobo.

I should have integrated graphics.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Nothing happens even after you've breadboarded it?

If you have breadboarded it, see what happens, if at that point it still doesn't power, and you're certain it is all wired up correctly. I would suspect motherboard - Being as you've already tested the PSU elsewhere. It's not common but it is certainly possible to fry your motherboard through static discharge easily.

FliSh101

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
Nothing happens even after you've breadboarded it?

If you have breadboarded it, see what happens, if at that point it still doesn't power, and you're certain it is all wired up correctly. I would suspect motherboard - Being as you've already tested the PSU elsewhere. It's not common but it is certainly possible to fry your motherboard through static discharge easily.

I am yet to breadboard it, I will do that tomorrow morning. I meant it doesnt turn on normally. Thanks for the help. I will feedback the results tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 14196

i saw a Moderator post a cool mobo tester for under 14 dollars.... maybe one of those could help if you are interested in that

Something like this

Last edited by a moderator: