[SOLVED] PC Deadlocking/Freezing random in games

Oct 24, 2021
Hello, i bought a pc a while back from a guy who didnt use it as much as i do now, and sometimes the pc just freezes, i found on the internet that its called Deadlocking, basically the pc completely freezes in game, wherever i play, rocket league, rdr2 or league of legends after some time the pc freezes.
I torture stress tested the ram and cpu with prime 95, and after 2 hours of constant pressure, it was still okay
Tested each of ram with memtest and prime for about 2 hours each and no errors
Stress tested the gpu with furmark, 2 and a half hours still no problem
Could it be that the psu is the problem?

Specs:
GREAT WALL GW-ATX500BL SEMI-MODULAR 500W ATX PSU
i5-6402p CPU
16gb RAM 2x8GB 2133mhz
Nvidia Gtx 960 2gb GPU
M32CD motherboard
225gb ssd +1tb hdd, defragmented and scanned both of them, including /sfc scannow

Solution
Did you try running stress tests for both the GPU and the CPU at the same time? They are not particularly power-hungry parts, but it's possible that both of them under heavy load could be pushing a potentially problematic PSU past its limits. The two together will also be warming up the case more than just one alone, if some component happens to be overheating.

Running something like Furmark alongside Prime95 is likely to push heat output above what you normally get while gaming though, so it's probably an unrealistic scenario and I...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Could be. However, the symptom you have (PC freezing) doesn't point towards PSU issue. Instead, it points towards OS (software) issue.
PSU would reboot or shut down your PC, especially during gaming (heavy load), if it's inadequate.

Here, i'd do complete clean install of Windows, before spending money to buy new PSU. If even after clean OS install you have issues, then you can look towards which hardware could be culprit. Also, clean Win install is cost free.

defragmented and scanned both of them

Why would you defrag SSD?

Do not defragment ssd's. When running games look at task manager and see if there are any programs using up resources in the background. Your gpu has 2gb vram and any resources being used could cause problem. If you find any disable them if not needed and restart, try gaming again see if problem persists.

Oct 24, 2021
Oct 24, 2021
That could be coil whine. Not much you can do about it.

Or it could be fan in it (fan bearing is going bad).
Long time ago, i had PSU fan starting annoying noise at random times while also stopping at random times.
The fact is, the psu is a chinese one, idk if its good or not

Oct 24, 2021
Update, i disabled the cpu turbo and now it doesnt freeze anymore, i think the cooler is the problem and i ordered a new one, i ll close the topic tommorow if the problem is solved

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The fact is, the psu is a chinese one, idk if its good or not

Just because you have Great Wall made doorstep, for Asian markets (hence the Chinese looking chars on it's label), doesn't mean PSU is the issue. Yet.

By the looks of it, your CPU thermals were the issue. But do look into getting a new PSU as well. GTX 960 isn't that power hungry GPU but better safe than sorry. :)

Did you try running stress tests for both the GPU and the CPU at the same time? They are not particularly power-hungry parts, but it's possible that both of them under heavy load could be pushing a potentially problematic PSU past its limits. The two together will also be warming up the case more than just one alone, if some component happens to be overheating.

Running something like Furmark alongside Prime95 is likely to push heat output above what you normally get while gaming though, so it's probably an unrealistic scenario and I would expect thermal throttling might occur, even if it wouldn't normally. It may give you an idea of a worst-case scenario, but I know many graphics cards will throttle performance when they detect Furmark running. Perhaps swapping furmark for something more realistic like one of the 3DMark benchmarks might be better. And make sure you monitor temperatures, and it's probably be best not to leave it running like that for any considerable length of time.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS