Dec 6, 2023
Hello,
My PC at random times completely freezes, what i mean by that is that:
  • The screen frezees, eventually the monitor goes in to the sleeping state.
  • No audio is coming through
  • Pressing caps lock, or num lock on keyboard does not light up that it is turned on.
  • Meanwhile the computer seems like that its still running? I mean the fans are going, razer keyboard has lightning, all rgb parts in the pc is still on.
  • The only way to restart the computer is manually pressing the button on the case to shut it down.
What i already tried to solve this issue:
  • Running memtest with all 4 sticks in, passed.
    • Actually i did this when these deadlocks were happening several times a day, and managed to get a deadlock during memtest as well.
  • Running Prime95 small FFT-s, and long FFT-s, everything passed.
  • Checked my sectors, and health on my SSD-s, everything is fine.
  • Updated BIOS to the latest.
  • Re-applying thermal paste for the CPU.
  • Running driver verifier
  • Reinstalling windows 10 several times.
  • Checking event viewer for any issues, only having errors like the latest system shutdown was unexpected, and the famous Kernel Power 41 (63), which is probably me pressing the shutdown button manually on the case.
  • Updating every single driver that are probaly not needed in a day to day basis for a regular pc user, like intel chipset drivers, etc.. with DriverEasy.
    • Started doing this a few weeks ago, still didn't solve the issue.
  • Checking the temps, which are all normal. (On idle: CPU 30 celsius, VGA: 47 Celsius)
More details:

This issue started happening atleast 2 years ago, but i was just living with it, and ignoring it, while sometimes spending a few hours on trying to fix it, but with no luck. What happens is that sometimes the PC freezes, with the details listed above, sometimes it just works fine for 3-6 months without a single freeze, which is why this is a pain in the a** to troubleshoot it, but sometimes it could happen up to 5 times a day.

Doesn't matter if i play a game or leaving the computer in an idle state.
Doesn't matter if its a fresh windows, or not, its just keeps happening.

No minidumps generated when this freeze happens.

PC specs:

Bought it 3 years ago.
One thing that might be a suspicious sign, is that i got only the CPU component in a small black box, not in the original box?
Custom built

Water cooling: Corsair Hydro H55 CW-9060010-WW
PSU: Seasonic Focus+ SSR-750FX 750W 80+ Gold modular
Motherboard: Asus TUF B360M-PLUS GAMING
RAM: Kingston 2x8GB DDR4 2666MHz HyperX FURY (HX426C16FB3K2/16) x 2 Total: 4 sticks 32GB RAM
VGA: Gigabyte RTX2060S 8GB Aorus Super (GV-N206SAORUS-8GC)
CPU: i7 9700K
SSDs (These are max a year old):
  • KINGSTON SUV400S37240G 240GB
  • Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB
  • Kingston NV2 SSD 1TB
  • I also had a very old Western Digital HDD which health was low, and was started to act strange, randomly wiping the contents on it, so i removed that from the system, but didn't reinstalled windows since.
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 RGB MCW-L5S3-KGNN-02

I think thats all that i can think of right now.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

RAM: Kingston 2x8GB DDR4 2666MHz HyperX FURY (HX426C16FB3K2/16) x 2 Total: 4 sticks 32GB RAM
Did you try working with 2 stick of ram in slots A2 and B2?

You forgot to mention the processor in your build?

Actually i did this when these deadlocks were happening several times a day, and managed to get a deadlock during memtest as well.
That would indicate a ram issue.

Reinstalling windows 10 several times
Where did you source the installer for your OS? Did you install the OS in offline mode? Did you manually install all drivers with the latest version in an elevated command?

Dec 6, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the processor in your build?

Actually i did this when these deadlocks were happening several times a day, and managed to get a deadlock during memtest as well.
That would indicate a ram issue.

Reinstalling windows 10 several times
Where did you source the installer for your OS? Did you install the OS in offline mode? Did you manually install all drivers with the latest version in an elevated command?
Ahh sorry, updated it with the CPU.

I haven't yet, would you recommend doing it for a memtest only, or overall, to see if i get a deadlock?

Where did you source the installer for your OS?
My installer is a bit old, but i recall there was this media creation tool or something, that created it to a pendrive, back a few years ago. I also used this for reinstalling windows on my friends computer, and they are not having this issue.

Did you install the OS in offline mode?
Yes, i always do.

Did you manually install all drivers with the latest version in an elevated command?
Umm no, i don't know what you mean by this. When i reinstall the windows, i usually use DriverEasy to get the drivers, since i don't want to bother too much with Ethernet, chipset and etc. drivers. But i do manually install the nvidia driver, so there are some exceptions.

Did you manually install all drivers with the latest version in an elevated command?
Umm no, i don't know what you mean by this. When i reinstall the windows, i usually use DriverEasy to get the drivers, since i don't want to bother too much with Ethernet, chipset and etc. drivers. But i do manually install the nvidia driver, so there are some exceptions.
Dont use driver easy. Go to your motherboards support site here. Download all the drivers you need individually and install them. Drivereasy could very well have messed something up. I am not saying this is the problem, but it is good to make sure it is not the issue for further diagnosing.

Dec 6, 2023
Dont use driver easy. Go to your motherboards support site here. Download all the drivers you need individually and install them. Drivereasy could very well have messed something up. I am not saying this is the problem, but it is good to make sure it is not the issue for further diagnosing.
I think its not, because once when i just reinstalled the windows, the freeze started to occour, without installing anything. But i did went through on them again and installed them.

Last edited: