[SOLVED] Pc dies after 15 min on idle

Jan 12, 2021
Hey guys so I have a little problem with my Pc and I don't really know how to and where to start to be able to put my finger on the reason. My pc does this thing where if I leave it on idle for like 15 min or so with nothing running (no video/live or discord ) when I come back the screen is black , the fan?(not sure if it's really the fan that does it) sound like a vacuum and the only way to close it completely is to turn off manually my pc with the power switch (if it works) or I need to unplug it . Now that happen like 3 or 4 time since I bought my pc 3 years ago(prebuilt ... It my first gaming pc don't judge me too much pls). Everytime that happen I wasn't there in front of it so I don't know what really goes on . I tried to force it to happen like letting it on idle for 3 hours , watching videos and such for about an hour or so and then putting it on idle but nothing seems to push it to do it again .My temps usually are around 38c to 44c max depending on the day(been watching them for the last 3 days ...) and the max I have seen is 73c (once ...) Video , temps and built list my temps are for around 15 mins and the only app running was discord... If you guys can help me with tests ideas or such it would be appreciated ! It's my first gaming pc and Im really lost on how to approach it.

Solution
guess the joystick drivers are just part of GHub, i know Corsair ICue has mouse drivers in it and I don't use a corsair mouse.

you are 2 bios versions behind... i um work out how you update that while you asleep (hint)

download the latest BIOS zip from here

open it in windows file manager
Open the appendix folder, you will see the instructions on three methods to update BIOS. I personally like to use the Windows 10 method. Just follow the instructions for that page, "run as administrator" for the BIOS version under the UCP folder.
https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/614796/how-do-i-upgrade-bios-on-aspire-gx-785

Colif

Win 11 Master

some reason thought hp and acer were the same... oops. shame as acer doesn't appear to have an updater...
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any - this is intentional as update tools like driver booster can get it wrong

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

idle is when win 10 does background tasks.

Sure it hasn't gone into hibernate? what power options do you have for monitor/pc in settings/system/power & sleep

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021

have you run this on the PC? it should update drivers - https://www8.hp.com/au/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

idle is when win 10 does background tasks.

Sure it hasn't gone into hibernate? what power options do you have for monitor/pc in settings/system/power & sleep
I am 100% sure that it wasn't the hibernate mode because I changed(the day I got the pc) the power option for the screen and the ''sleep'' option to be set for 3 hours and I'm never away more than 30 min at ''black out '' still happened ...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Now that happen like 3 or 4 time since I bought my pc 3 years ago
it might take some effort finding a solution to a problem thats only happened 4 times in 3 years. Needle in a haystack isn't even close. 3 years of win 10 is 6 versions, as win 10 updates itself every 6 months.

When was the last time it happened? Any windows updates on same day? what shows in reliability History for the day?

Jan 12, 2021
it might take some effort finding a solution to a problem thats only happened 4 times in 3 years. Needle in a haystack isn't even close. 3 years of win 10 is 6 versions, as win 10 updates itself every 6 months.

When was the last time it happened? Any windows updates on same day? what shows in reliability History for the day?
I got way more than 6 update I get update that my friends don't most of the time... When they get one and I get like 4 little ones a few weeks after for example or I get the big one few weeks/days after them ... last one I got was today and it was a big one the kind that need to restart the pc to be installed ... last time my pc did the problem was last friday and the last time that happened I don't think that any update was the same day or so . for the drivers do you only need the name and the creation date or you want them all ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you use windows defender you will get signature updates almost every day. Cumulative updates you get once a month need a restart. you can get drivers updated through it as well.

Version updates often have a few restarts before they finished. They also take longer to install than normal monthly updates.
Version updates only happen every 6 months or so. The last one of those came out November last year. Next one due in April.

well, drivers often don't show a creation date so version numbers is helpful.

Jan 12, 2021
if you use windows defender you will get signature updates almost every day. Cumulative updates you get once a month need a restart. you can get drivers updated through it as well.

Version updates often have a few restarts before they finished. They also take longer to install than normal monthly updates.
Version updates only happen every 6 months or so. The last one of those came out November last year. Next one due in April.

well, drivers often don't show a creation date so version numbers is helpful.
Ah well that answer why I have more than my friends ...The screenshoots tell me if I missed anything ...got lost a little in that not gonna lie

Colif

Win 11 Master
the feature update was a version update, at least I can see you on latest version of win 10
I see I am missing an update you got on the 12th.

thats an odd driver list
i need driver name, not device name

something like (and you see lots of missing creation dates)
y4CnSBV.jpg

your listing is showing windows drivers. All the ones listed 10.0.19041.0 are windows drivers, as thats the version of windows they were installed with.

Jan 12, 2021
the feature update was a version update, at least I can see you on latest version of win 10
I see I am missing an update you got on the 12th.

thats an odd driver list
i need driver name, not device name

something like (and you see lots of missing creation dates)
y4CnSBV.jpg

your listing is showing windows drivers. All the ones listed 10.0.19041.0 are windows drivers, as thats the version of windows they were installed with.
aahhh it's 2 AM on my side and well didn't double check the version of driverview I took and didn't have the good one Im sorry ...This should be good

Colif

Win 11 Master
You don't have many drivers really,
Eset AV is about half the list
Intel
Logitech G Hub
Nvidia - new drivers
Realtek LAN & Audio
Razer Synapse

Could run this and check intel drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

how old is the joystick? the Logitech drivers likely oldest
Synapse normally updates itself.

when you wake up, can you tell me the bios version for motherboard? it should show on the system information screen next to BIOS version/date on row under Processor field. An outdated bios might be cause.

Jan 12, 2021
You don't have many drivers really,
Eset AV is about half the list
Intel
Logitech G Hub
Nvidia - new drivers
Realtek LAN & Audio
Razer Synapse

Could run this and check intel drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

how old is the joystick? the Logitech drivers likely oldest
Synapse normally updates itself.

when you wake up, can you tell me the bios version for motherboard? it should show on the system information screen next to BIOS version/date on row under Processor field. An outdated bios might be cause.
This ? and the joystick? my logitech driver has my keyboard and my mouse but no joystick

Colif

Win 11 Master
guess the joystick drivers are just part of GHub, i know Corsair ICue has mouse drivers in it and I don't use a corsair mouse.

you are 2 bios versions behind... i um work out how you update that while you asleep (hint)

download the latest BIOS zip from here

open it in windows file manager
Open the appendix folder, you will see the instructions on three methods to update BIOS. I personally like to use the Windows 10 method. Just follow the instructions for that page, "run as administrator" for the BIOS version under the UCP folder.
https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/614796/how-do-i-upgrade-bios-on-aspire-gx-785

Solution