[SOLVED] pc doesn’t turn on with two ram sticks, but does start with one.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 9, 2021
So basically my pc randomly got caught in a reboot loop, it’s a prebuilt from cyber power and only a year old. I took one stick of ram out and it would run fine, and I’ve done all the usual checks to see if it’s the slots or if it’s the ram itself but it’s not because either or works aslong as it’s one stick.

My motherboard is a Msi b450m pro vdh max, when it does this reboot think it always skips the dram light on my motherboard even with the one stick in. I’ve replaced the power supply and the motherboard with the same ones to see it it’s just faulty but no progress.

Solution
If MoBo is replaced, then it's safe to assume that these two RAM sticks doesn't want to work together anymore.

Since it's prebuilt from poor reputation firm (Do note that firm name is CyberPowerPC! CyberPower, without the "PC" in the end, is one of the best UPS manufacturers and i happen to have their UPSes in use as well. So, don't be a cheapskate and do write the whole name, as in CyberPowerPC.), it is unknown if the RAM they put in there was in the set at the first place. Could've been where they took single sticks, that didn't come as a set from manufacturer and just slapped them in. In that case, it's a wonder that they did work together at all.

There isn't anything you can do, to make them work together. You could RMA your...
Jan 22, 2022
If you are following the RAM designation from your mobo docs then make sure they are exactly the same model of dimm module. Especially if you’re wanting to use the dual channel feature. I’m sure someone more qualified has already answered this but I thought i would chime in!
Follow up: I meant to say the mobo requirement for ram slot assignment in addition to being the exact same modules. Thanks

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If you are following the RAM designation from your mobo docs then make sure they are exactly the same model of dimm module. Especially if you’re wanting to use the dual channel feature. I’m sure someone more qualified has already answered this but I thought i would chime in!

I actually already said that in my 5th reply. Not sure why would you say the same thing again.

ollow up: I meant to say the mobo requirement for ram slot assignment in addition to being the exact same modules. Thanks

It's obvious that both sticks should be same. Still, people have mixed RAM running in their system, e.g one stick from Crucial, another from Corsair. DDR3 RAM, in regards of RAM mixing is more forgiving than DDR4 RAM, which OP has. Only on rare instances, different DDR4 RAM sticks have been working together.

Though, even when you buy two identical RAM sticks, there is no guarantee that they work together. Hence why there are RAM sets sold.

Now, OP hasn't replied here for over a month and we can assume that OP got the issue solved one way or another. As of why you try to revive this topic, i don't know.