[SOLVED] Pc doesn't boot after changing cpu

apsolpt

Reputable
Jul 29, 2016
Hello everyone,

The motherboard on my brother's pc died so he gave me his cpu a i7 4770k, I changed it and now when i turn on the pc, it just beeps until it turns off and then on again.
I then installed mine again, Xeon e3 1231v3 and now that one doesn't work too. Same problem, keeps beeping (short beeps) until turn off.
I read about trying with just 1 ram stick and it works normally, tried the i7 again and it's working too but now I only have 4gb ram. :(

What could be the problem ?

Solution
Since no one replied anymore, I'm just posting this to whoever have the same problem.
After reading alot and many tries, the problem was in the cpu socket, somehow I bent (slightly) ONE pin even tough I was really careful, and that was enough to make all this mess. Grab a needle or tweezer, and try very gently to bend it back.
Oct 16, 2019
I would suggest you do this.
Turn off the PC completely. Put the 2nd stick in the same motherboard channel and turn the PC on. keep me posted on what will happen.
The RAM channels are usually marked with same color

apsolpt

Reputable
Jul 29, 2016
check for bend pin on the motherboard socket?
Do you mean the cpu socket ?
I would suggest you do this.
Turn off the PC completely. Put the 2nd stick in the same motherboard channel and turn the PC on. keep me posted on what will happen.
The RAM channels are usually marked with same color
Just did that and it's the same as before. I have a gigabyte z97 g1 gaming and the debug code it shows is C0.

apsolpt

Reputable
Jul 29, 2016
Try removing the CPU, see if any pins are bent.
There have been simular or same issues which are already discussed on the forum, so you might want to check there for more info @ https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-beast-wont-boot-error-c0.1825674/
Well I've checked the pins and they are all angled to one side so I assume that's normal.
I've been fiddling with ram sticks and found out it doesn't want to work in dual channel.
the layout on the motherboard is DDR3_1/DDR3_3/DDR3_2/DDR3_4 (closest to the cpu)

DDR3_1 always works no matter the ram stick. If I insert another one in DDR3_3 it works too. On the other slots it doesn't work.
I've loaded default on bios but didn't change anything..

apsolpt

Reputable
Jul 29, 2016
Since no one replied anymore, I'm just posting this to whoever have the same problem.
After reading alot and many tries, the problem was in the cpu socket, somehow I bent (slightly) ONE pin even tough I was really careful, and that was enough to make all this mess. Grab a needle or tweezer, and try very gently to bend it back.

Solution