Pc doesnt boot when adding any drive at all

rdufresne126

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
Mobo: asrock z97 extreme6
Gpu: nvidia gtx 980
Cpu: i74790k
Psu: rosewill photon850w

So im installing a new mobo to my pc (which is about 1 year old) and everything boots fine with the gpu installed. No case features installed just building it out of the box before putting it in the case.

So it boots fine to the bios until i try to add any sort of drive at all, (even an empty ssd) when i plug in any drive at all and press the power button my cpu fan does a half spin and shuts off within a second?

Ive tried all of my drives but it refuses to boot when any drive at all gets connected.

Solution
I don't this is a storage issue. This probably won't work, but try it if you can. Reset the BIOS (pull the battery, don't press any reset buttons). Attach the drive to an on board SATA, not as the last component. If that still gives you the same problem, if you have a drive in a USB enclosure, plug it in to a USB 2.0 port and see if the same problem happens. If it does, I think you may have a bad board. I'd call ASUS, explain it briefly and so an RMA. Good luck.

erpsaa

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I don't this is a storage issue. This probably won't work, but try it if you can. Reset the BIOS (pull the battery, don't press any reset buttons). Attach the drive to an on board SATA, not as the last component. If that still gives you the same problem, if you have a drive in a USB enclosure, plug it in to a USB 2.0 port and see if the same problem happens. If it does, I think you may have a bad board. I'd call ASUS, explain it briefly and so an RMA. Good luck.

Solution
1. That ASRock MB is an older MB, of course, but is that the "new" MB you're installing?

2. Did you just recently purchase that MB? New or refurbished or used?

3. When you state "everything boots fine", all you mean is that the system can boot to the BIOS, right?

4. You're checked the various BIOS settings and everything seems OK there (excepting the system's non-detection of ANY HDD or SSD connected to ANY motherboard's SATA data port (connector), right?

5. You're communicating with this forum via a different PC?

6. So what precisely happens if, for example, either a HDD or SSD is connected in the system, and you use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (flash drive or DVD) containing the Win 10 setup files and you boot to that flash drive or DVD and attempt to install the Win 10 OS onto the installed HDD or SSD? A message appears during setup that no drive has been detected in the system? What?

Please be absolutely clear in your responses. No generalities, just precise details.

rdufresne126

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
I ended up using a different sata power cable for the drives and found that only 2 of them actual spun up ( like i could feel the vibration) I ended up getting the pc to boot to windows that was installed on one of the working drives.