Question PC failing to start randomly. Anyone have some incite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batts12

Reputable
Jan 2, 2020
Ok so I have been having this issue for months now and it's relatively hard to replicate. Out of the blue after restarting or shutting down my PC it will fail to start up. The screen stays black but the tower comes on as if everything is running fine. This doesn't happen every time. Sometimes weeks can go by and it's fine. Today my cat decided to jump on my tower and turn it off with his paw. When I went to restart the problem popped up again and this time I noticed the only indicator light on the mobo that was lit was yellow. To get the PC to start again properly I had to unplug it from the psu and hold the power down for ten seconds. Once I did that it started up normally. Could this be a ram issue? I say that because in Speccy it doesn't recognize the brand of ram I have. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Here's my system:

Ryzen 7 3700x
Asus x570+
Geforce RTX 2070 Super
32 GB DDR4 3600 G Skill Ripjaws V 4 sticks of 8

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Corsair RM 750 w 80+ Gold
I was going to suggest a failing PSU issue. But that's a nice PSU and if it is 1 owner and not too old, I would maybe take a pass on that being the culprit.... Although, your description of the power off/power on sequence reminds me of a failing PSU cap I had on one of my builds. Same procedure to restart.

The RAM you are using should be fine with that board/CPU. I've used that same RAM on 2 x Ryzen builds older than yours. The days of Ryzen/AGESA conflict are over. There may be a problem with the board itself, however. Or a component failing. Hard to troubleshoot from afar. Might try using a different graphics card for a bit to see if it is the issue. HDD? They can cause intermittent issues like that too. Can be difficult to pin down. Obviously, huh?

Batts12

Reputable
Jan 2, 2020
I was going to suggest a failing PSU issue. But that's a nice PSU and if it is 1 owner and not too old, I would maybe take a pass on that being the culprit.... Although, your description of the power off/power on sequence reminds me of a failing PSU cap I had on one of my builds. Same procedure to restart.

The RAM you are using should be fine with that board/CPU. I've used that same RAM on 2 x Ryzen builds older than yours. The days of Ryzen/AGESA conflict are over. There may be a problem with the board itself, however. Or a component failing. Hard to troubleshoot from afar. Might try using a different graphics card for a bit to see if it is the issue. HDD? They can cause intermittent issues like that too. Can be difficult to pin down. Obviously, huh?

Yea it's a pain. I'm not an expert on these things but Ive built several PCs and this issue is definitely hard to figure out. I have a hard time understanding why its so random. Id imagine if it was the PSU it would be more frequent? The other difficulty is I really don't have a bunch of spare parts laying around to swap out and test plus even If I did the issue is so rng how would I really know if it's fixed until two months later. I've done googling on this and those that have had similar issues had varying solutions. For what it's worth besides this one annoying hiccup the computer runs perfectly.

Batts12

Reputable
Jan 2, 2020
Latest bios for the motherboard?

No actually. That's something I'll have to try. One other note about this issue is I had to turn the power off in the entire house. I shut down my pc first then killed the power. When the power came back I went to start it up and got the same issue. Once again i had to unplug from the back and hold the power button down then plug it back in. It started.

Aug 2, 2021
No actually. That's something I'll have to try. One other note about this issue is I had to turn the power off in the entire house. I shut down my pc first then killed the power. When the power came back I went to start it up and got the same issue. Once again i had to unplug from the back and hold the power button down then plug it back in. It started.

Have you tried reseating the GPU? Maybe reconnecting the cables from the PSU to the GPU? Your cat jumped on the tower, maybe it rocked something loose inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.