PC failing when under CPU and GPU load. Could it be the PSU?

unstableluck

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
I'm running an FX-8350 and EVGA GTX 970 OC on a EVGA 600B Bronze 80+ PSU, when under full load the PC cuts to a black screen and plays an audio loop but the case lights and fans are still going. I've stress tested both the CPU and GPU seperately and both run perfectly fine by themselves but when both are under load whether it be on a stress test or gaming the crash I stated above happens.

I've tried reinstalling drivers, DirectX and vcredist but nothing has worked so far, so I'm fairly certain it's not software related or temp related as they both stay sub 60c.

Unfortunately I don't have a capable PSU on hand to test so I'd be happy to hear some other ideas.

Solution
600W is more than enough for that system. Since both of the components work fine individually, I'd be quick to place the blame on the motherboard. It MIGHT still be a PSU issue since that's not exactly a high quality PSU. The only real way to test is to try the hardware in another system or switch hardware around.

You could check the capacitors on the motherboard to see if they're bulged. Faulty capacitors could lead to incredibly unstable power delivery which could lead to the instability under full load. Before that, use HWMonitor or AIDA64 to check voltages of CPU and GPU to see if anything looks significantly high or low.

oldpcsaremything

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016
I'm not an expert, but my best guess would be the parts hitting close to the limit of the PSU, or just the CPU not being able to handle requests from the GPU causing instability and vice versa. Don't quote me on this, though.

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
600W is more than enough for that system. Since both of the components work fine individually, I'd be quick to place the blame on the motherboard. It MIGHT still be a PSU issue since that's not exactly a high quality PSU. The only real way to test is to try the hardware in another system or switch hardware around.

You could check the capacitors on the motherboard to see if they're bulged. Faulty capacitors could lead to incredibly unstable power delivery which could lead to the instability under full load. Before that, use HWMonitor or AIDA64 to check voltages of CPU and GPU to see if anything looks significantly high or low.

Solution

Can you list your full specs please?

unstableluck

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017

Motherboard: GA-78LMT-USB 6.0 (Socket M2)
RAM: 8gb @1600mhz, I am not entirely sure of the brand as any spec listing software doesn't say nor does it have any specific branding on the unit itself.
Storage: 2 Toshiba 1tb HDDs.