[SOLVED] Pc freeze even after replacing ssd

raid.zd

Commendable
Sep 17, 2018
Hello,

Could you please help me out with this problem?

My pc freezes when i start downloading or copying large files, totally unresponsive. Only way is restart button or hard shutdown vis power button.

When i use the pc without downloading/copying nothing happens. I can also install all kind of applications without any problems. Only when i start downloading/copying large files (games) the pc freeze, sometimes right away, other times after 2 or 5mins from starting the download/copy.

Tried different solutions, updated all drivers, change the internet connection, even replacing the ssd, hdd and ram and installed new updated windows 10.

My specs
I5-6500 (used)
Mb ECS H110M-SI02 (new & bios updated)
Ram 2x8gb Kingston ddr3 1600mhz (new)
Gc asus gtx1060 3gb (used)
Ssd 120gb Kingston (both new)
Hdd wd blue 1tb & 2tb (both new)
Psu gamemax GE-700 700watt (new)

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Best regards,

Are you overclocking the CPU? I have seen "not quite" stable overclocks do things like that. Also I have never heard of that PSU brand before. Google seems to show that is a pretty cheap brand. If you aren't overclocking, I would probably swap that PSU for a well-known brand.

Last edited:

raid.zd

Commendable
Sep 17, 2018
Are you overclocking the CPU? I have seen "not quite" stable overclocks do things like that. Also I have never heard of that CPU brand before. Google seems to show that is a pretty cheap brand. If you aren't overclocking, I would probably swap that PSU for a well-known brand.

I haven't overclocked the cpu. I would like to hear from you all before replacing the psu.

raid.zd

Commendable
Sep 17, 2018
Here is a screenshot from task manager when the pc froze

20191006-205459.jpg

raid.zd

Commendable
Sep 17, 2018
Update:

I ran memtest86 and there was an error, any idea how is that possible? Yesterday i did remove the new 2 sticks of ram and placed 1 stick which i have laying around. The pc froze in both cases.

The memtest86 is running on the new 2 sticks of ram and it found an error

20191007-204623.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's only 3 ways to get ram errors. Bad ram, dad socket, bad cpu.

That doesn't mean the actual cpu Is bad, but it's the root cause. So you might have a bent pin, badly seated cpu, bad memory controller, paste in socket etc.

Bad socket could be nothing more than oxidation on the pins of the ram or a loose pin in the ram slot not making good contact, failure of solder etc. Might simply need to reseat the ram a few times to loosen things up and scratch the pins to make good contact.

Bad ram. Pretty self explanatory, quite often it's a parity error in the first 64k. That's a data corruption mainly due to voltages. Easy fix. Try swapping wall outlets, disengage surge protectors, may have a junk psu and bad voltage outputs to the mobo. Even changing OC can fix it. Anything more than that is unfixable.

Probably help to see exactly what the different errors are being reported.

raid.zd

Commendable
Sep 17, 2018
Update:
I installed linux (ubuntu), now pc is running for 12 hours, did some gaming as well, without any freeze!! 😕

Does this exclude any hardware problem?!

I really need windows, what should i do?!

Thank you all for your help

raid.zd

Commendable
Sep 17, 2018
So to summarize:

I installed windows 10 pro 2 times, second time was the last updated version.

I replaced ssd, hdd, psu, ram, gpu. Repasted cpu and gpu and cleaned all slots and the socket. I removed the gpu and used the internal graphics. Still pc freezes especially when copying or downloading large files, between games as well sometimes, and sometimes just when i switch between apps. The freeze occurs sometimes within 10min and other times within 30min or 1hr from entering the desktop. Windows freezes, no response and no control. I have to press the restart button or long press the shutdown button. Nothing abnormal to be found in the eventveiwer.

Finally i thought i will try linux (ubuntu), so i installed it and now it's running for 12hrs without a single freeze, i did some gaming as well during that time and installed many apps.

How new is your version of ubuntu? I usually don't trust when people say "I unstalled Linux" and it's fine, but Ubuntu is pretty good about including drivers, and if you have a fairly recent version it should have anything you need for that hardware, unless you have devices attached that aren't being listed.

So if all sticks of RAM are showing MEMTEST errors, it sounds like you were either very unlucky with RAM, or the memory controller in the CPU is failing. In most cases, Linux will run on less RAM than Windows (just as a general rule) so it could be that Ubuntu just isn't reaching the part where the damage is.

raid.zd

Commendable
Sep 17, 2018
How new is your version of ubuntu? I usually don't trust when people say "I unstalled Linux" and it's fine, but Ubuntu is pretty good about including drivers, and if you have a fairly recent version it should have anything you need for that hardware, unless you have devices attached that aren't being listed.

So if all sticks of RAM are showing MEMTEST errors, it sounds like you were either very unlucky with RAM, or the memory controller in the CPU is failing. In most cases, Linux will run on less RAM than Windows (just as a general rule) so it could be that Ubuntu just isn't reaching the part where the damage is.

Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

I found out also that the ram slot is DDR3L (adjustable voltage 1.35 or 1.5) i set it at 1.5v because my Kingston ram is DDR3 @ 1.5v

Thank you for all the clarification and tips

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ohh. That might be the issue. The 6500 is meant DDR4 which operates at 1.2v-1.4v max. Some mobo's early on used DDR3 240pin slots instead of the DDR4 288pin slots. So DDR3L is fine, as it falls within acceptable ranges at 1.35v, but DDR3 (I don't care what gigabyte says on its website) is 1.5v and has a very strong tendency to burn out the cpu.

Try turning off XMP and dropping the ram to 1.4v at default settings.

Adding 240pin DDR3 in any version was short lived and a serious mistake from the start, never should have been allowed, but it's the same deal Intel did years ago when some boards had DDR2 versions, DDR3 versions and even some hybrids that took either DDR2 or DDR3 as it had both slots.

Big file transfers/downloads/saves are heavy on ram usage and if the memory controller is already taxed dealing with overvolted ram, it's no wonder it's unstable and freezing up.

raid.zd

Commendable
Sep 17, 2018
Ohh. That might be the issue. The 6500 is meant DDR4 which operates at 1.2v-1.4v max. Some mobo's early on used DDR3 240pin slots instead of the DDR4 288pin slots. So DDR3L is fine, as it falls within acceptable ranges at 1.35v, but DDR3 (I don't care what gigabyte says on its website) is 1.5v and has a very strong tendency to burn out the cpu.

Try turning off XMP and dropping the ram to 1.4v at default settings.

Adding 240pin DDR3 in any version was short lived and a serious mistake from the start, never should have been allowed, but it's the same deal Intel did years ago when some boards had DDR2 versions, DDR3 versions and even some hybrids that took either DDR2 or DDR3 as it had both slots.

Big file transfers/downloads/saves are heavy on ram usage and if the memory controller is already taxed dealing with overvolted ram, it's no wonder it's unstable and freezing up.

Clear explanation :)

I will try dropping the voltage

Thank you so much for your time, i will change the motherboard and the ram soon and hopefully the issue will be resolved.

Best regards

raid.zd

Commendable
Sep 17, 2018
Update on windows:

I replaced the ram with a new DDR3L kingston @ 1.35v and the pc froze within 20min.

I replaced cpu with G4560 and now the pc is running for 24hrs without any freeze!!

Any explanations, suggestions or advices are very appreciated

Best regards