Question PC freezes at ROG splash screen with WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD plugged in ?

rv.

Sep 23, 2023
Run Down Of My Specs
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken 240mm
Motherboard: ASUS ROX STRIX BF-450
Ram: Corsair Vengance 32x4
SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD and Kingston HDD
GPU: NVIDIA 1660 Super OC
PSU: Corsair RM850
Chassis: Corsair Crystal 680x
Monitor: OMEN 25F 240Hz

Hey so a while back i had a m.2 WD Blue and it was working fine. then all of a sudden it stopped working and i had to get a SSD Drive. Now i use a HDD and a SSD drives but i need extra storage , so i decided to use my m.2 (bought in 2021) which hasn’t been working for a while now. When i plug my m.2 SSD in my PC won’t boot whatsoever. when i remove my 2 Drives and only keep my m.2 in , it freezes on the bios splash screen saying "Republic Of Gamers" forever. i’m unable to get past this screen. However when i remove my m.2 whilst still on splash screen it goes into bios straight away.

i’ve tried clearing my cmos battery but no luck.

Any ideas ? i’ve tried sorting this through other forum pages etc but i’ve not got any luck with it. any solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: SonjiWf
Oct 16, 2023
Run Down Of My Specs
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken 240mm
Motherboard: ASUS ROX STRIX BF-450
Ram: Corsair Vengance 32x4
SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD and Kingston HDD
GPU: NVIDIA 1660 Super OC
PSU: Corsair RM850
Chassis: Corsair Crystal 680x
Monitor: OMEN 25F 240Hz

Hey so a while back i had a m.2 WD Blue and it was working fine. then all of a sudden it stopped working and i had to get a SSD Drive. Now i use a HDD and a SSD drives but i need extra storage , so i decided to use my m.2 (bought in 2021) which hasn’t been working for a while now. When i plug my m.2 SSD in my PC won’t boot whatsoever. when i remove my 2 Drives and only keep my m.2 in , it freezes on the bios splash screen saying "Republic Of Gamers" forever. i’m unable to get past this screen. However when i remove my m.2 whilst still on splash screen it goes into bios straight away.

i’ve tried clearing my cmos battery but no luck.

Any ideas ? i’ve tried sorting this through other forum pages etc but i’ve not got any luck with it. any solutions will be greatly appreciated.
Your issue seems to be similar to mine. I have been trying for months to figure out what the problem is with this. it almost sounds like the M.2 is hardware locked but i haven't seen anything like that since old apple/ibm. Im tempted to go buy a 512GB Micron m.2 for my laptop and see if i can swap it out. but it annoys me that i have a 2TB m.2 that freezes my booting as soon as i put it in.

rv.

Sep 23, 2023
in which M.2 slot are you trying to use it? Try M.2_1

Which WD blue model exactly? should be labeled on the SSD. Is it SATA or nvme?

eventually RMA it, could be still under warranty
It’s a SATA. as mentioned i have replaced it so its not urgent but i might have to check if it under warranty still as it could be nice to have extra storage

rv.

Sep 23, 2023
Your issue seems to be similar to mine. I have been trying for months to figure out what the problem is with this. it almost sounds like the M.2 is hardware locked but i haven't seen anything like that since old apple/ibm. Im tempted to go buy a 512GB Micron m.2 for my laptop and see if i can swap it out. but it annoys me that i have a 2TB m.2 that freezes my booting as soon as i put it in.
exactly the same issue , was very irritating but i just had to move on and buy a 1TB NVME.

Oct 16, 2023
Per page 9 of your PDF manual, M.2-1 socket is compatible with both SATA and NVME drives, whereas M,2 -2 socket is NVME only....

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/403638.pdf

(Not sure which socket you inserting the SATA M.2 drive into, but, it would certainly not help installing a drive into an incompatible slot...)

Hope that is the only issue here...

Swap them around, if need be for NVME/SATA compatibility...
Idk about OP but I only have a single M.2 slot that is causing me the issues