[SOLVED] PC freezes if no processes are running, needs to be rebooted

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
I've had this problem for a while, and it seemed to stop itself, although now it has come back in the past couple days a bit more consistently. Basically if I don't have a game, discord, or a video/stream playing, my computer runs the chance of just freezing all my screens and needing to be rebooted. It wont go into sleep either, so if I happened to walk away when it occurred, I can look at the clock to see when the freeze happened. It has never happened when watching a video/stream, or playing games, or talking in discord with friends, or listening to Spotify. Basically any time there is video or audio playing on one of my monitors (I have 4) it is fine. This is really annoying obviously, as I often load up my PC and instantly open a stream or video, put it to the side and let it run until I play games with my friends later in the day. The most common times it freezes are if I am just browsing through regular google chrome on websites like twitter or amazon, or if I am looking through steam library etc...

I can't really find a fix for this so I am a bit stuck. I did run the ram tests a while back and after a long time all the sticks came back fine. All of my drivers are up to date and have been pretty consistently.

Specs:
Windows 11
Intel i5 12600KF
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X
4x8GB G Skill Ripjaws
Samsung 980 1TB NVME SSD
1TB SSD Sata
1TB HDD

If you have any questions about the occurrences or about the PC I have notifications on and would be glad to answer or work along with you.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Solution
Not trying yo jinx anything lol
6 years of answering bsod posts here has made me not celebrate too soon. I generally don't comment once someone says something like that. So I hope we both haven't jinxed you :)

It showed signs of storage problems all along, I just always start from software side unless the opening post shows they done some actions that point at it being hardware. Physical problems can't be seen by software tests, that is problem.

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
Yes, its worth a try.
Not trying yo jinx anything lol, but I was able to contact Samsung and Amazon, got a replacement free of charge shipped within 24 hours and installed it last night. Has idled several times, and every time it has locked and woken up. I was also able to keep the original since they didn't want it back so maybe I'll be able to figure out some things with it searching uip about it more on the web. I'll keep the thread unsolved for another day or so just in case, but I'm thinking it's all good now. Thanks for all the help.

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not trying yo jinx anything lol
6 years of answering bsod posts here has made me not celebrate too soon. I generally don't comment once someone says something like that. So I hope we both haven't jinxed you :)

It showed signs of storage problems all along, I just always start from software side unless the opening post shows they done some actions that point at it being hardware. Physical problems can't be seen by software tests, that is problem.

Reactions: ClassV
Solution

TRENDING THREADS