Question PC freezes or Distorted display after memory upgrade

Sep 13, 2022
I am using an old PC with a Core 2 Duo E8500 processor @ 3.16Ghz. ( which supports DDR 2 Memmory )
The motherboard is an ECS - G31T
(Dual-channel DDR2 memory architecture - 2 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM socket support up to 4 GB - Support DDR2 667/800 MHz Memory)

The PC works fine with 1 x RAM stick on either slot - ( 2 GB 800 Mhz) -
But when I add an additional 2GB of RAM (2GB 800Mhz) - the PC either Fails to start, Freezes while working, restarts or shows a weird distorted display with boxes and lines.

This happens when the bios memory frequency is set to Auto/667/800

I tried both rams sticks on both ram slots individually and the PC works fine. the problem arises when I add the additional 2GB stick.

The memory sticks are from the same manufacturer and are both 2gb x 800Mhz

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank You !

I am using an old PC with a Core 2 Duo E8500 processor @ 3.16Ghz. ( which supports DDR 2 Memmory )
The motherboard is an ECS - G31T
(Dual-channel DDR2 memory architecture - 2 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM socket support up to 4 GB - Support DDR2 667/800 MHz Memory)

The PC works fine with 1 x RAM stick on either slot - ( 2 GB 800 Mhz) -
But when I add an additional 2GB of RAM (2GB 800Mhz) - the PC either Fails to start, Freezes while working, restarts or shows a weird distorted display with boxes and lines.

This happens when the bios memory frequency is set to Auto/667/800

I tried both rams sticks on both ram slots individually and the PC works fine. the problem arises when I add the additional 2GB stick.

The memory sticks are from the same manufacturer and are both 2gb x 800Mhz

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank You !
Check the mobo site for any bios updates.

There could be just enough difference between the sticks that when you try to go dual channel they don't play nice together.

Perhaps try a matched set.
https://www.newegg.com/crucial-4gb-240-pin-ddr2-sdram/p/N82E16820148112?quicklink=true