Question PC freezes randomly even at idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2022
So for the past few months my pc has been freezing to either a black screen(with the fans going full speed and the post code display showing 00 on my motherboard) or just freezing, power button wont even respond meaning I'll have to flip the power switch on the PSU to restart my computer, and this just happens completely randomly gaming or watching youtube. I've ran memtest86, even swapped graphics cards, updating my bios including resetting my oc settings.

my pc specs:

MB: Asus crosshair 8 hero(wifi) (bios Ver.4201 )
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
Cooler: NZXT Z63 360mm aio
RAM: 64gig(16*4) trident z royal @ 3200Mhz
SSD: samsung 980 pro 1TB pcie gen 4
PSU: corsiar RM1000X

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome tot he forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you working with? Speaking of BIOS, can you remain in BIOS screen without any lockups? As for your build, have you kept an eye on temps using HWMonitor to see if they have any relevance with the lockups/freezes?

Jul 10, 2022
How old is the PSU in your build?
It's a grey label RM1000x that I got when I got my 3080 so less than a year old.

Speaking of BIOS, can you remain in BIOS screen without any lockups?
Might have to give this a try, although the timing of the freezes are random, it can take a few hours or just minutes.

HWMonitor to see if they have any relevance with the lockups/freezes?
Temps are fine from the looks of it, CPU temps are around 60c and GPU is around 70c, Vrms' look fine as well sitting at 50c(when gaming)

Typically, if you have to flip the switch on the PSU or unplug it and plug it back in after a few seconds is usually always a PSU issue, either a short (unlikely) or heat will cause this or simply something in the PSU thats faulty. I had this same issue with a RM850 a few years ago on a system that was well under what it was rated for, and it always did it on light loads.

A motherboard shouldn't do this from my experience even if components overheat and shuts the system down to prevent damage, it'll just flip back on with a power button on the case and resume like it never happened.

The things I'd check is the fan in the PSU, make sure it does spin up under a load, it is normal for newer PSU's to not spin the fan at low power conditions, I suggest you throw on a demanding game or run a CPU stress test and a GPU stress test at the same time and keep an eye on the PSU fan, it might take a while of stress testing to get the fan to turn on since it is a beefy unit.

I recently had a PSU come in for repair where the fan was dead or well the fan controller in the PSU was dead, was a older Seasonic 750 unit, I changed the fan and it still wasn't spinning, I took my volt meter out and no power at all would go to the fan even after a heavy load on a Vega 64 and Ryzen 7 5700g. The kid didn't want to spend money on a new PSU capable of handling his system which I don't blame him, so I installed the new fan and ran the wires out to a molex connector so when the PC turned on the fan is on, it worked and saved the kid a few bucks.

But yeah check the fan, make sure its not plugged up with dust and that it does spin under a load.

Good Luck!

Jul 10, 2022
Typically, if you have to flip the switch on the PSU or unplug it and plug it back in after a few seconds is usually always a PSU issue, either a short (unlikely) or heat will cause this or simply
The thing is the system is still powered on and fans are spinning but the power button on my case just won't respond to a long or short press(when the pc is frozen), meaning I'll have to flip the switch on the PSU to turn it off but it'll power with no problems.

But yeah check the fan, make sure it's not plugged up with dust and that it does spin under a load.
The fan does spin on startup, but I'll have to double check to see if it's spinning under load, since the PSU does get quite hot sometimes.

I'll also try a different PSU to make sure, but it's a 750w unit and it might not be up for the task of powering my 3080 and 3900x.

I've also ruled out any AC power related problems by running an extension cord for my pc to a different circuit in my house. since my house is quite old and I've had some problems with dirty wall power before.

The thing is the system is still powered on and fans are spinning but the power button on my case just won't respond to a long or short press(when the pc is frozen), meaning I'll have to flip the switch on the PSU to turn it off but it'll power with no problems.

The fan does spin on startup, but I'll have to double check to see if it's spinning under load, since the PSU does get quite hot sometimes.

I'll also try a different PSU to make sure, but it's a 750w unit and it might not be up for the task of powering my 3080 and 3900x.

I've also ruled out any AC power related problems by running an extension cord for my pc to a different circuit in my house. since my house is quite old and I've had some problems with dirty wall power before.
Ah alright, yeah I took it as if the system shut fully down and wouldn't power on unless you unplugged it or flipped the switch which would for me would point at the PSU. So at this point I doubt its the PSU, they usually work or they don't or show problems at load, not so much at idle.

So yeah that could be a board issue or well anything really, Do you overclock at all, do you play with the Voltage curve or the Curve Optimizer in Ryzen master or the bios? My 5900x would freeze up at idle if I had 1 of the curves to low, I do remember AMD had issues with Sleep, but that should have been fixed a long time ago with bios updates.

I would also try to re install your video drivers, sometimes drives can cause weird things like that, I would download the latest driver, and DDU, disconnect from the internet and uninstall the driver, and then reinstall the latest driver and reconnect to the internet so windows don't try to install a driver that it wants.

Good luck man!

Jul 10, 2022
So yeah that could be a board issue or well anything really, Do you overclock at all, do you play with the Voltage curve or the Curve Optimizer in Ryzen master or the bios? My 5900x would freeze up at idle if I had 1 of the curves to low, I do remember AMD had issues with Sleep, but that should have been fixed a long time ago with bios updates.
I do have a slight overclock? or maybe a under volt, my 3900x runs at 4.2Ghz and 1.225v stable for quite some time, but I did revert it back to the stock settings but still the same issue. I've heard about the sleep issues some people say that disabling the global C-sates helped, but to my experience, it hasn't worked.

I would also try to re install your video drivers, sometimes drives can cause weird things like that, I would download the latest driver, and DDU, disconnect from the internet and uninstall the driver, and then reinstall the latest driver and reconnect to the internet so windows don't try to install a driver that it wants.
I've done a few DDUs' but disconnecting from the internet while doing it I haven't tried it that way yet I'll give it a try when I get home in a few hours.

If it comes down to board problems then I guess I'm SOL, I do have an Asus repair center near me since I live in Taiwan, and my board does have a warranty until 2023, but I would like to make sure it's a board problem before getting it repaired.

I do have a slight overclock? or maybe a under volt, my 3900x runs at 4.2Ghz and 1.225v stable for quite some time, but I did revert it back to the stock settings but still the same issue. I've heard about the sleep issues some people say that disabling the global C-sates helped, but to my experience, it hasn't worked.

I've done a few DDUs' but disconnecting from the internet while doing it I haven't tried it that way yet I'll give it a try when I get home in a few hours.

If it comes down to board problems then I guess I'm SOL, I do have an Asus repair center near me since I live in Taiwan, and my board does have a warranty until 2023, but I would like to make sure it's a board problem before getting it repaired.
Yeah a problems like this is kind of a tricky one, if the driver install doesn't work, maybe lower the ram speed, I know the CPU is rated for 3200mhz but maybe it just don't like that kit for some reason suddenly, I guess if you lowered the speed and it doesn't crash or lock up at least you'd know what is causing it at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.