Question PC Freezes when non demanding tasks, never when gaming.

Jun 12, 2021
I built this system about a month ago and ever since day two i started having complete lockups that seem to happen at random while doing normal things like browsing the internet or even opening my event viewer, forcing me to manually turning off the computer. However, I can game for hours on end with no issues and the system won't lock up if I keep a game active on the background which is really weird to me. Another thing that happens randomly is that my system will boot directly into BIOS and my m.2 won't show on the boot table. These are the steps I've taken so far:

1.-Updating to the latest BIOS
2.-updating all drivers
3.-ran DISM and SFC
4.- fully ran memtest (no errors found)
5.- Tried a different set of memory sticks
6.- disabled XMP, turbo boost, multi thread enhancement
7.- disabled cstates and speedstep from BIOS
8.- ran several benchmarks on my GPU to strain it
9.- checked for the latest firmware for my solid state drive
10.- checked temps, everything is a-ok
11-fully reinstalling Windows 10, two times

my system is:

ASUS TUF gaming Z590 Plus WiFi
i7-10700k
RTX 3060
XPG S40G 1tb m.2
EVGA Supernova G5 750W
G.Skill 2x8 Trident Z 3200

I'm here in hopes someone with more experience can shed some light into what direction should I take before I start swaping pieces blindly. In advance, thanks.

Another thing that happens randomly is that my system will boot directly into BIOS

This probably isn't the issue, but sometimes low coin batteries on the motherboard result in this happening...over time a low battery might lead to booting to the BIOS, or the BIOS seeming to "corrupt" and need to be reset. Even brand new motherboards sometimes have a low battery. You might try replacing that coin cell battery.

Jun 12, 2021
This probably isn't the issue, but sometimes low coin batteries on the motherboard result in this happening...over time a low battery might lead to booting to the BIOS, or the BIOS seeming to "corrupt" and need to be reset. Even brand new motherboards sometimes have a low battery. You might try replacing that coin cell battery.

I did try that, i even tried my components on an old Z490 mobo i had laying around. I even tried using a different m2 unit, reinstalled windows, same issue. At this point i think it might be either the GPU or the PSU. Weird part is that the 3060 works normally on my secondary system, just not the system i described above :/. I reinstalled everything fresh, BIOS, drivers directly from the manufacturer's page all to no avail.