Question PC freezes while downloading, and games stutter and hang ?

Triple955i

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Hi all
Turning my pc on after a long break i decide buy xbox game pass for a £1 lol 😂 now my son wanted to play forza 5.
When downloading start its fine for about 10/15gig of downloads then it kind of stops downloading and freezes so i have keep shutting it down via the power button.

i also downloaded starfield again i had keep shutting the pc down via the power button which i know is not a good idea !!

Its takes ages for it to run any of the games it just hangs !! It hooked up to my 55inch sony bravia 4k tv

any ideas or any advice pls ! Thank you

My pc build.

i5 6600k - gigabyte z170n gaming 5 - 8gig corsair ddr4-Asus strix gtx 970 - silverstone rvz02 - silverstone sfx-l 500w - roccat tkl - Logitech 502 - samsung ssd 250gig - samsung 2tb hdd

Triple955i

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
8 gig corsair ram ddr4
Ssd is 250gig samsung which 32.1 gig is free

I download games to the 2tb normal hdd
Sorry miss read you reply i have added a couple screen shot for you to see ,but cant add it to my reply
Ram use is 5.7/8gig (71%) being used at the time of screen shot.

Triple955i

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
how full are the ssd and hdd?

defrag the hdd?
Hello
So i did the defrag the result are

X drive which has the games. Is 1.24tb free of 1.81 tb. I did delete few games from hoping it will help !

The c drive which is a ssd its 31.8gb free of 237gb.

My son has been playing forza 5 horizon it olays at 60fps ( thats from steam frame count ). 1080p. I bought it through steam.
Its takes ages to load the games but once its loaded its fine. Its crashed once !

I have even thought about putting in another 8gig of ram to see if things improve!!
Even a better graphics card to help it !
Maybe a bigger faster read and write m.2 ssd !!

Even thought about building a new pc then doni go for amd or intel !

Thank you for your time and help

Triple955i

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
10 years old Seagate 2.5" drive.

Check HDD health with Hdtune - (health section).
Show screenshot.

Looks like it's failing. Replace.

Also your system is running out of ram.
Upgrade to more ram. 16GB minimum, 32GB recommended.
I have ordered 32gig ram 3200mhz. Do you think its worth upgrading the graphics card ?

4c/4t cpu from 2015...

spinning drive only...?.

8 GB of RAM

None of these are very encouraging specs for any game as extremely demanding as Starfield...

I'd first try a much less demanding game just to test your hardware, but, more along the lines of Medal of Honor/Allied Assault, etc...

Triple955i

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
What you thimk of this one , i can get it for £160.
There are others on ebay etc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/39508016...p4Yf8LoTXu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
So i have put in 32gig ram and enabled xmp runs the ram at 3200mhz.
Forza horizon still takes about 25/30min to load lol
I am still looking at upgrading the graphics card from gtx970 to the 2060 super.

My os is on a ssd and all my steam games are in the spin drive including forza horizon.

If i add a m.2 2tb ssd as there is a slot on the motherboard !! And move all my steam game to the m.2 will that speed things up or am i best just save and build a new pc ?

Triple955i

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
4c/4t cpu from 2015...

spinning drive only...?.

8 GB of RAM

None of these are very encouraging specs for any game as extremely demanding as Starfield...

I'd first try a much less demanding game just to test your hardware, but, more along the lines of Medal of Honor/Allied Assault, etc...
Its plays forza horizon 5 at 60fps and its play all my other steam games at 60fps

Triple955i

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
STarfield is a beast of a resource-hungry game, both CU and GPU....

I doubt you are close to meeting the game's minimum requirements, much less the 'recommended' specs.
I see what you mean. So basically i am looking at a new build really otherwise i am going to be wasting money on my old pc !!!

So i had a look at the markets and reviews on what build would best. Everything seems to point at a amd build than a intel build.

What do you think of a good build ?
It needs to be future proof to certain.
it’s mostly 90% for gaming so 1440p, 4k, 1080p,
I would also want to do little video and photo editing