Question PC Freezes while gaming & using second monitor for browser/watching videos ?

Sep 8, 2023
Hi, I'm having an interesting dilemma that despite no matter how much I try to diagnose the underlying cause of the issue, I seem to end up consistently at a dead end. I'm a gamer, I use my PC primarily for gaming and browsing the web, I do not do any video editing, I do not mine crypto, stocks or even work from my computer. However I am consistently able to recreate an issue of my PC freezing, that seems to only happen when I'm using my second monitor for a browser or youtube. I typically use google chrome or Microsoft edge, (I've played around with both because I hear that edge puts less stress on memory, however shouldn't be an issue given my PC's hardware specs.) The nature of the freezing is an interesting one, the way my computer locks up ALWAYS results in my primary monitor completely freezing, I can still move my mouse around and I can still hear my friends talking to me on discord. I can even respond to them on discord, they can reply and hear me clearly. The second monitor ends up freezing too, but slightly slower. The best way to describe it is the following.

-Primary monitor frozen (Can still move mouse, can still hear audio)
-Secondary monitor 3-5 seconds later partially frozen but still responding if I right click the taskbar (little window pops up with options such as Task manager, task bar and settings)
-Audio continues for up to 10 minutes before everything finally goes silent and I'm forced to hard restart my PC by holding down the power button

When I say "Partially frozen" I can still click things on my second monitor, that seem to respond, but they respond at a snails pace. If I minimize discord, it looks like it tries to and the window starts to collapse but it does at an alarmingly slow pace, as if I can see the window shrinking in real time. Eventually all of it stops responding to my clicking entirely. I have tried various tests on my hardware to diagnose the issue, and changed settings around to see if the problem goes away to no avail. None of the following solutions/general PM's I've tried so far have made any impact.

-Reset bios to auto/normal settings
-Ran Memtest86 for 2 hours (2 passes 0 errors)
-Furmark GPU stress test 40 minutes (Max temps 72c no crashing or restarts)
-Cinebench23 CPU stress testing (normal test ranges for Multi/Single thread scores and temps never exceeded 81c on CPU)
-Reinstalled windows entirely on my (C.) drive
-Increased ram voltage from 1.35 to 1.36 (still froze) THEN I upped the voltage to 1.38 (still froze)
-Put ram voltage back to standard 1.35
-Unmounted my CPUcooler, reapplied thermal paste, reseated my GPU, dusted out PC (it's very clean)
-Swapped ram sticks to secondary DIMM slots, now using A2 and B2 (no changes)

My computer specs, Bios and Monitors are the following.

-ROG Strix B550-F gaming (Bios version 3202)
-ASUS TUF 4070TI 12GB
-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
-Corsair Vengeance PRO DDR4 3200MHz 32GB
-LG UltraGear QHD 34-Inch Curved gaming Monitor 34GP83A 144Hz (Monitor 1)
-Acer Predator XB241H Widescreen LCD (Monitor 2)
(C.) Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
(D.) Samsung 870 EVO 2TB
(E.) WD WD10EZEX-08wN4A 1TB disc drive
(F.) WD_Black SN750 NVMe 1TB SSD

(Both monitors are using display port cables, and native at 144hz, both G-Sync compatible)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU in your build. Include it's age.

ROG Strix B550-F gaming (Bios version 3202)
You have a BIOS update pending, to version 3205;

Clear the CMOS once you've verified that the BIOS was flashed successfully.

Swapped ram sticks to secondary DIMM slots, now using A2 and B2 (no changes)
They should be in slots A2 and B2 from the get go.

Reinstalled windows entirely on my (C.) drive
Where did you source the installer for your OS? As for your OS, did you install it in an offline mode? Did you manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Sep 8, 2023

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU in your build. Include it's age.

Where did you source the installer for your OS? As for your OS, did you install it in an offline mode? Did you manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

The PSU is corsair RM850X and is 4 years old

I used the "reset this PC" function because this current windows version was purchased online.

I'll do a Bios update tonight and clear the CMOS

Sep 8, 2023

I updated BIOS to 3205, and removed CMOS for 5 minutes to fully reset. Was able to use PC for about 2 hours before it froze again.