Question PC freezing, but only when gaming ?

Ngray249

Reputable
Jul 19, 2019
Current Build

Mobo : Asus Prime z690 - A

CPU : i9 13900k

RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHz 2x16GB

GPU : Zotac RTX 3090

CPU cooler : Corsair H100i ELITE Capellix Liquid CPU cooler (240mm RAD)

Storage : 2 samsung 970 NVME 2TB built into a RAID 0 ARRAY (games installed on this Drive)
2 Samsung SSD 500GB built into RAID 0 ARRAY (windows Boot drive)

PSU : EVGA 1000Watt

Case Fans : 6 Corsair 120mm LL series fans

WINVER: 22h2

Bios VER : 2204

GPU driver : 528.02

CPU clock : 5.4 GHz

CPU IDLE temp : 37C

mem : 4800MHz

Previous Build

Mobo : Asus Prime z390 - A

CPU : i9 9900k

RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz 4x8GB

GPU : Zotac RTX 3090

CPU cooler : Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 240mm

Storage : 2 samsung 970 NVME 2TB built into a RAID 0 ARRAY (games installed on this Drive)
2 Samsung SSD 500GB built into RAID 0 ARRAY (windows Boot drive)

PSU : EVGA 1000Watt

Case Fans : 6 Corsair 120mm LL series fans

My Current Issue

After Upgrading my motherboard , cpu , cpu cooler , I'm facing an issue I cannot figure out myself and I am posting here for some insight. My PC after the upgrade freezes after 5-10 minutes of gaming. no BSOD just a frozen screen until I hard reset. The current games I tested on were Valorant , Overwatch , and Apex Legends. average CPU package when the PC freezes is between 50-70C depending on the game. There is currently no overclocking done to the PC. There is no Issues doing normal computing.

Testing Done
MemTest86 both RAM installed : Pass
CineBench: Pass, No freeze
Furmark : Pass, No Freeze (20min Runtime)
3DMark Port Royal : Fail, Freeze @ GPU 72C , CPU @60C
3DMark CPU Profile : Pass , No Freeze
Heaven Benchmark : Freeze
Intel Extreme Tuning Utility CPU Stress : Pass No Freeze
Intel Extreme Tuning Utility Mem Stress : Pass , No Freeze
HeavyLoad GPU stress : Pass , No Freeze
HeavyLoad CPU stress : Fail- froze at 4min runtime @ 84C , 100% usage
Prime95 : No freeze , PC was very slow and choppy though

Remedy Tried

1: Moved RAM to different DIMM Slots (tried both channels)
2: Removed Cooler reapplied thermal paste
3: Rebuilt RAIDs and reinstalled windows x2 (tried winvers , 1909 , 2004 , and current)
4: disassembled RAIDs and installed windows and games on standard drives
5: disabled Intel Turbo Boost

Last edited:
PC being slow on prime95 is normal since it's a powervirus.

As for your problem, I have a few ideas.
This might be a powersupply issue, but that's probably bust since you tried benchmarks, but still an option maybe. have you tried running both a gpu and cpu stress test at the same time?
This might be your GPU acting up since it's just the screen freezing.

This might also be a memory problem, though it's less likely since those usually result in BSOD instead of freezes.

Might also be GPU bios/GPU drivers, try DDUing and reinstalling your drivers and also updating/changing the bios firmware on the gpu.

Ngray249

Reputable
Jul 19, 2019
PC being slow on prime95 is normal since it's a powervirus.

As for your problem, I have a few ideas.
This might be a powersupply issue, but that's probably bust since you tried benchmarks, but still an option maybe. have you tried running both a gpu and cpu stress test at the same time?
This might be your GPU acting up since it's just the screen freezing.

This might also be a memory problem, though it's less likely since those usually result in BSOD instead of freezes.

Might also be GPU bios/GPU drivers, try DDUing and reinstalling your drivers and also updating/changing the bios firmware on the gpu.

I Ran both the first time i used heavyload stress test , It did freeze so i ran both separately to rule out what caused the freeze. GPU test was fine and it froze on CPU test

as for the PSU I could try to change it but it was working perfectly fine in my previous build the day before. I know i9 13900k probably uses much more power. I was thinking about adding another 8Pin cpu connector that z690 has available for overclocking

I Ran both the first time i used heavyload stress test , It did freeze so i ran both separately to rule out what caused the freeze. GPU test was fine and it froze on CPU test

as for the PSU I could try to change it but it was working perfectly fine in my previous build the day before. I know i9 13900k probably uses much more power. I was thinking about adding another 8Pin cpu connector that z690 has available for overclocking
That's likely it.

Your board has 2 8pin EPS CPU connectors.
The 2nd one is not specifically for overclocking. It does help with overclocking, but it's not why it's there.
It is to send more power and spread the load more evenly.
The i9 13900k can easily draw upwards of 250 watts (absolutely insane.)
That 2nd 8 pin would really help even the load for the powersupply.

Ngray249

Reputable
Jul 19, 2019
That's likely it.

Your board has 2 8pin EPS CPU connectors.
The 2nd one is not specifically for overclocking. It does help with overclocking, but it's not why it's there.
It is to send more power and spread the load more evenly.
The i9 13900k can easily draw upwards of 250 watts (absolutely insane.)
That 2nd 8 pin would really help even the load for the powersupply.
Still freezing with new RM1000x and 2 8 pin EPS connected

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS